General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Tri Coaches in Buckhead/Concourse Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-10 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Subject: Any Tri Coaches in Buckhead/Concourse Area

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for or really what to expect, but I believe I need a coach to meet my goal of 1/2 IM and better performance in the others.  I kept pretty well motivated, but I could use the help.  I currently don't know what this would cost or how the coaching process works (i.e. one on one like a gym trainer or remote access or somewhere in between).  I think I can work better on the "trainer" end of the spectrum). 

I know a number of you guys are trainers (located in Alpha-tucky) that would be great if you would move your entire operations to Buckhead or Perimeter area.  Given that probably won't occur,  any thoughts?

I apologize in advance if some of my questions are dumb, I really don't understand the process. 

2008-01-10 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1148370

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Any Tri Coaches in Buckhead/Concourse Area

ATS is on Roswell Road.   http://www.athletictrainingservices.com/

Thequestion is what do you really want from a coach.  What you most likely want/need is structure and guidance.  From that perspective, it doesn't matter where your coach is located.  I know plenty of successful athletes who essential have an internet / over the phone coach. 

I am sure Brett will chime in shortly.   

2008-01-11 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1148515

I have been using The Sport Factory for just over a year now and would highly recommend them. While the home base is physically located in Alpharetta, I live 1 1/2 hrs away in North GA and it never has been a problem for me, as I have only been there once.

After consulting with me (on the phone) and figuring out my race schedule, goals, available workout times, etc., my coach designs my workouts in 4-week "blocks." You can choose from several different "plan" options that are specific to the amount of direct contact you need with the coach. I chose the option that allows for one weekly telephone conference and e-mail contact pretty much as needed. I have found this to be more than sufficient. While I have met my coach in person a few times, such a meeting was not at all necessary in order to develop my training program.

My coach uploads my workouts to TrainingPeaks.com, so all I have to do is log on and see what my workout is for that particular day / week. For me, this takes 100% of the stress out of figuring out what I "should" be doing each day, which was the biggest problem for me working full time.

The only thing I would add is that, if you are going to use a coach, it is very helpful to have a device such as a Garmin Forerunner 305 that allows you to upload your actual workouts. It allows your coach to see exactly what you've been up to (and provides extra motivation not to "cheat" because you'll get caught).

I know some of the SportFactory coaches post on here and the web site has a whole bunch of info. But coming from a relatively newbie AG'er, I consider my coaching there money well spent.
2008-01-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1150277

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA

RememberOtto - 2008-01-11 12:13 PM I have been using The Sport Factory for just over a year now and would highly recommend them. While the home base is physically located in Alpharetta, I live 1 1/2 hrs away in North GA and it never has been a problem for me, as I have only been there once. After consulting with me (on the phone) and figuring out my race schedule, goals, available workout times, etc., my coach designs my workouts in 4-week "blocks." You can choose from several different "plan" options that are specific to the amount of direct contact you need with the coach. I chose the option that allows for one weekly telephone conference and e-mail contact pretty much as needed. I have found this to be more than sufficient. While I have met my coach in person a few times, such a meeting was not at all necessary in order to develop my training program. My coach uploads my workouts to TrainingPeaks.com, so all I have to do is log on and see what my workout is for that particular day / week. For me, this takes 100% of the stress out of figuring out what I "should" be doing each day, which was the biggest problem for me working full time. The only thing I would add is that, if you are going to use a coach, it is very helpful to have a device such as a Garmin Forerunner 305 that allows you to upload your actual workouts. It allows your coach to see exactly what you've been up to (and provides extra motivation not to "cheat" because you'll get caught). I know some of the SportFactory coaches post on here and the web site has a whole bunch of info. But coming from a relatively newbie AG'er, I consider my coaching there money well spent.

Good insight.  I do have the Garmin 305 and so I could do that.   

2008-01-13 2:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

The Sport Factory is an excellent choice (even better if you use Brett). ATS is also well known. 

I use Carole Sharpless (www.carole-sharpless.com) and have had good success.

The best approach is to contact each and discuss your goals and objectives.  Don't be afraid to discuss price, methods + frequency of interaction, details of training plans, clinics and so forth ... it is best for both you + the coach to get these issues out of the way/talked through so that you both start with the same expectations.

2008-01-13 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
If its knowledge your looking for and your goal is to finish, you can save yourself a LOT of money without a coach. I had a coach for my first 1/2 and had a horrible race. Last year I used Matt Fitzgeralds "Essentials for Triathlons" that gives 8 different level training plans for each distance race, and set a PR... granted a 6 1/2 hour 1/2 isnt fast for most triathletes, but for me it was a huge accomplishment. I also used it for IMFL and somehow managed... (again...very slowly, but depends on your goals). The difference for me with a coach versus without was to realize I had to create the "DRIVE" internally for myself.. once I did that and committed to the plan a coach really wasnt necessary for my goals.

Quite honestly what worked well for me is to surround myself with other people training for the same distance, gather knowledge by asking questions, reading the forums here, etc... and had much greater success than with a coach..WITHOUT paying someone $100 + dollars a month to be a personal cheerleader.

Of course I'm not winning any friends with the coaches here, but I'm just saying what worked for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

JBD - 2008-01-10 2:52 PM

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for or really what to expect, but I believe I need a coach to meet my goal of 1/2 IM and better performance in the others.  I kept pretty well motivated, but I could use the help.  I currently don't know what this would cost or how the coaching process works (i.e. one on one like a gym trainer or remote access or somewhere in between).  I think I can work better on the "trainer" end of the spectrum). 

I know a number of you guys are trainers (located in Alpha-tucky) that would be great if you would move your entire operations to Buckhead or Perimeter area.  Given that probably won't occur,  any thoughts?

I apologize in advance if some of my questions are dumb, I really don't understand the process. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Tri Coaches in Buckhead/Concourse Area Rss Feed