General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Severe leg pain during marathon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-11 10:43 PM

User image

Subject: Severe leg pain during marathon training
I have been training regularly for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons for 2 years now. However, I started training for a marathon in November, and have my race this weekend.

Admittedly, I increased distance too rapidly...8 miles to 20+ in 3 weeks. Okay, I know that was not smart, but I have backed off and done everything I can (ice, ibuprofen, treadmill, etc), but still can't get rid of this leg pain. My last run went well for 10 miles, then excruciating pain in my knees, ankles, arches, and shins. Could things really get this bad from overtraining alone? I was in very good shape before increasing distance, I'm really wondering what is going on.

I did change shoes around the same time I increased distance, but from one nuetral shoe to another (Pearl Izumi Shine (i think) to Asics Nimbus 9). I am a neutral runner, and didn't expect much difference on my legs from 2 different neutral shoes.

Any ideas what is going on? Last minute advice before the race on Sunday? My goal is sub 4 hours. Without leg pain after 10-12 miles, I will comfortably meet this goal, but with the leg pain I've been experiencing, it could result in 4: 30. I'll crawl before DNF

2008-01-11 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1151668

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
Subject: RE: Severe leg pain during marathon training

you are correct you increased your run mileage too quickly, once you overtrained it takes quite some time before you recover. follow the  10 % rule always. Also noticed that you run your longest run was quite late. hopefully you can meet your goals of sub 4 but dont fret if you get disappointed. it took  me 4 marathons to sub 4 but you can have a bigger aerobic base than me. Suggested reading pfitzinger-advanced marathoning-if you are looking for agoal time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Severe leg pain during marathon training Rss Feed