Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-01-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1156673

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Compression Socks

TriRSquared - 2008-01-15 7:14 AM I guess I should clarify. It's not PAIN. It's soreness. And it's not even soreness like it hurts all the time, it's just that I notice those muscles. To be honest it's probably not enough stretching.
or not training enough, or not training properly, or nor warming up/cooling down, or...

2008-07-19 2:55 AM
in reply to: #1154102

Veteran
my thought about compression socks is that they are not intended to prevent any injuries only to increase blood flow to and from your feet and lower legs which keeps your legs more oxygenated and removes lactic acid more quickly. also recovery is supposed to b e much quicker while wearing them. I have not tried them, been thinking about it for a while. One of the pros at my last race did a short pre race clinic touting them(no he is not sponsored by any company.) that was the impetus i needed. I am placing my order shortly.
2008-07-19 4:06 AM
in reply to: #1155930

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

iwantotri - 2008-01-15 1:01 AM I got my from trisports.com  Here is the link http://www.trisports.com/zensah.html  The biggest thing I noticed is that the cramping in my calfs went away.  The only thing that sucks is that they don't come in pairs.  You have to buy them individually.

You can get one in each colour that way

2008-07-19 4:23 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I'm very much a skeptic when it comes to marketing claims. To be blunt,  I consider almost all marketing and advertising to be utter BS. My initial reaction to the claims made for compression socks was extreme doubt. I was, however, willing to try them. After having worn them for a number of long runs of 12 miles and longer, I have experienced what I believe to be a much shorter recovery time after and somewhat increased endurance on these runs.

My own personal experience has been that wearing my pair of SLS3 Compression Sport Sox on long runs is physically, but definitely not stylistically,  beneficial. But then again, given the other clothing we wear in public "dorky" is only a matter of degree. You can't wear lycra in public and not admit to being well along on that road.

2008-07-19 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1541667

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

travisdotn - 2008-07-19 3:55 AM and removes lactic acid more quickly.

Lactic acid does not accumulate in your muscles like people think.  It is removed all the time.  The only time you really notice it and it causes issues is when you are above your lactic threshold (the point at which the ability of the body to remove the lactic build up is eclipsed by the rate at which it is accumulating).

Any soreness in your muscles is caused by the millions of micro tears in your muscles, not by anything else (unless you are injured somehow).  Imagine thousands of little tiny razor cuts.  Anyone want to try to explain to me how compressing your muscles with tight clothing is going to help "repair" those things faster???  Your body heals things in certain ways, it is not always a good idea to mess with how it works.

But as I said, to each their own.  But just remember that guys like Dave Scott and Scott Molina and PNF all set blistering times in their day WITHOUT ever using anything like this (and have some of the fastest times on the books still to show for it).  There is no magical cure for what ails you and as others have referred to things like these in the past ....... they are some really well marketed snake oil.

It is your money, so feel free to spend it in whatever fashion you deam worthy.  In my opinion they are a total waste though.  Take it or leave it.

2008-07-19 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1541723

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Daremo - 2008-07-19 7:28 AM

Any soreness in your muscles is caused by the millions of micro tears in your muscles, not by anything else (unless you are injured somehow).  Imagine thousands of little tiny razor cuts.  Anyone want to try to explain to me how compressing your muscles with tight clothing is going to help "repair" those things faster???  Your body heals things in certain ways, it is not always a good idea to mess with how it works.

But as I said, to each their own.  But just remember that guys like Dave Scott and Scott Molina and PNF all set blistering times in their day WITHOUT ever using anything like this (and have some of the fastest times on the books still to show for it). 

Comnpression clothing (tights, tops, socks) won't "repair" damage, that's true.  But they can PREVENT damage.  As the muscle fibers swell, that when the microtears within them occur.  But limiting the amount of space they can swell, tearing is limited as well, rsulting in less soreness at the end of the day. The more you feel like a sausage, the more the swelling is limited. The effects are probably most notable on lower limbs as the compression keeps fluids from building up.  (This is the same reason that heart patients are given compression stockings - to limit fluid build up in the legs that can later back up into the lungs when the patient is lying down)

And most of us will never have the genetic gifts of the "Scotts"; and there's a reason for the term "tri-geek".  Some things have proven themselves usefull over time (like aerobars) and others have not (anyone else remember the mirror that mounted on your headset so you could keep your head down and still keep an eye on the road?)

2008-07-19 11:03 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
The benefits of compression socks also have mostly to do with circulation benefits. They have been sold for years as "anti-embolism" socks, especially for people with diabetes and poor leg circulation.

I would say if you havent tried them as a recovery tool yet, you are missing out. I can say that they absolutely provide a recovery benefit. I have not at all had any calf soreness after 13+ mile runs like I used to. Thats all the evidence i need.

If you do buy some, I reccommend going on Ebay and getting some Oxy Socks. They are MUCH cheaper on ebay than anywhere else.
2008-07-19 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I don't even know what they are.
2008-07-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1541723

User image

Tyler,
Daremo - 2008-07-19 6:28 AM

travisdotn - 2008-07-19 3:55 AM and removes lactic acid more quickly.

Lactic acid does not accumulate in your muscles like people think.  It is removed all the time.  The only time you really notice it and it causes issues is when you are above your lactic threshold (the point at which the ability of the body to remove the lactic build up is eclipsed by the rate at which it is accumulating).

But as I said, to each their own.  But just remember that guys like Dave Scott and Scott Molina and PNF all set blistering times in their day WITHOUT ever using anything like this (and have some of the fastest times on the books still to show for it).  There is no magical cure for what ails you and as others have referred to things like these in the past ....... they are some really well marketed snake oil.

It is your money, so feel free to spend it in whatever fashion you deam worthy.  In my opinion they are a total waste though.  Take it or leave it.

I agree with this guy 100%... plus they make you look dorky. A cheaper version is to wear pantyhose like that marathon runner.

2008-07-20 5:22 AM
in reply to: #1154117

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FutureIronGirl17 2008-07-20 5:26 AM
2008-07-21 11:07 AM

Master
According to an article in the August issue of Bicycling, "Researchers from Ball State University, in Muncie, Indiana, found that when 20 exercisers wore compression clothes after max efforts, they maintained better range of motion, decreased soreness, reduced swelling and were able to produce max force again faster than those who recovered compression free."

And that ain't just anecdotal.

2008-07-23 12:51 AM

Veteran
Sullivan, WI
While i have never worn them i did standby the Run out section of IM WI in 07 and watch the first half dozen Pros head out.....compression socks were certainly abundent......i think the winner was wearing them (but i could be wrong on that).....so what does that mean...maybe nothing...guess you gotta try and see...
2008-07-23 1:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I use the Zensah ones I found for $30 or so online a few months ago.

I only wear for recovery, but they seem to help. I have high arches that collapse like they are meant to, and these plus semi custom insoles and some stretching keep my soreness/splints/whatever at bay.

Previously I had to dally around with sore shins the day after a hard long run, or one with lots of hills, and always iced for 20mins each leg in ice water after any run over five or so miles, but now only ice when I think I need it, they save me tons of time not having to do that.

Also that tri cutie is Paula Radcliffe, world record holder in the woman's marathon.

It is money well spent for me, considering the price of water, and ice is kinda made of water, I probably have a few nickels each month in my account I hadn't considered thanks to this investment.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression Socks Rss Feed  

of 2