General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Would You Tri? Negative People Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-01-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1184057

Subject: RE: Why Would You Tri? Negative People

aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 1:39 PM I. Seriously, it's funny, in an unfunny way, that people feel like its okay to attack positive aspects in one's life. can you imagine telling your co-worker that she shouldn't waste 4 hours a weekend going to church? .

Hey, now, I spend about 4 hours on Sunday at church (I sing with the choir in the mornings, and then the young adult community I'm involved in is at night). Ironically, there are several of us from the young adults group involved in triathlons - we just fit it around church

To the original point of this thread - I don't necessarily think that everyone who says that we're crazy is a fat, lazy slob and it's a bit unfair to peg them all as such. I know others who do other things to keep themselves fit who still think I'm crazy for doing triathlons. Triathletes ARE insane. I used to date an ex-triathlete and I did think he was a bit nuts (endearingly so ), though I would never say anything to him, of course. And this is coming from a girl who was a dancer for 20 years - I wasn't exactly the poster child for McDonald's. I think for a lot of people it's the fact that they don't think "they" could ever do it. And a lot of people are too scared to try.

I'm not denying that there is an obesity/health problem epidemic in this country. But I don't think that it's those people alone who think we're crazy.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-01-30 1:30 PM

2008-01-30 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1184178

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

indygreg - 2008-01-30 2:19 PM I blog about this stuff on my site www.payyourselffitness.com and always welcome other's stories and thoughts. In a nutshell, if I spend 7-10 hours a week training . . . I am a bad father, selfish, a bad husband and generally nuts. If I work 60 hours a week . . . I am a dedicated worker, a father who provides, a go getter, etc. This is F**ked up. Being fat and out of shape is one of the biggest issues the world is going to face (US especially) in the coming decades, but we will not change our outlook on fitness.

X2

The "If I spend..." sentences both made me laugh and cry at the same time. 

2008-01-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1183956

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 1:09 PM  I need a snappy comeback that's not too insulting...any ideas?

Look them in the eye, lower your voice, lean into to them a bit and say "If you had any idea what being this fit has done for my sex life, you'd be training twice a day starting this afternoon."

2008-01-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1184246

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
marmadaddy - 2008-01-30 12:39 PM

aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 1:09 PM  I need a snappy comeback that's not too insulting...any ideas?

Look them in the eye, lower your voice, lean into to them a bit and say "If you had any idea what being this fit has done for my sex life, you'd be training twice a day starting this afternoon."

Hold up, this training is suppose to help with that??

2008-01-30 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1183904

User image

Regular
Edmonton
I encounter this quite a bit as well, most from people I used to go out to the bars with. Generally I just tell them my #1 reason for completing Tri's of all lengths, including my first Ironman this coming summer....

I have all the time in the world when I am old to sit in a bar pounding back beer after beer. You only get one youth and the last thing I'd want to think when I am shuffling along in my old age, unable to do much of anything, is "I wish I would have done more then sit in a bar during my good years".
Besides if I am pounding back beers when I am old, in a nasty little corner bar....at the very least I'll have some interesting stories to tell about Ironmans.
2008-01-30 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I have encountered a lot of the "you're crazy" sentiment and the snide "so did you ride your bike this weekend?" stuff. But I think it balances out most of the time.

What I have enjoyed recently is the "weightloss challenge" that they have at work. A couple of the people in the challenge that are near my cube started realizing my fueling/meal schedule when I am at work and they started asking me questions about healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. They were amazed about how much I knew about nutrition and exercise not just my sport. I've let them borrow the books I have on nutrition/diet and other general fitness/exercise. They are doing great and have lost lbs. and lbs. of weight. I am really happy for their accomplishments. A person today asked me about training plans for a triathlon and others before have asked about 5ks... I am kind of the local fitness guru... it is fun.

Maybe I am just used to it and don't listen to the negatives but just focus on when people get to know me and really get interested in getting into shape. Of course... come June they will just look at me like I am crazy again when I talk about long bike rides and runs on the same day but for now I will just bask in my little bit of glory.

2008-01-30 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

The conversation goes something like this with me:

co-worker:  You're telling me that you ran 31 miles for fun?

Me:  No, I did it so that I can eat 4,000 Kcal a day and not gain any weight.

Co-worker: Well, I know I couldn't do that.  Plus that Ironman stuff is for really fit young people

Me:  You do realize that a 70 yr old woman finished Kona last year right?  Now if you're not better than a 70 yr old woman, then keep doing what you're doing.  Plus I'll still put down more food than you.

This usually at least gets them to think...  Especially the 4000 Kcal part!

2008-01-30 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Tell them, "that's pretty arrogant of you to think I care what your opinion is..."

How's that?
2008-01-30 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I've generally handled it like this:

"Well, I used to be about 35 pounds overweight, eating the typical American diet, not getting much exercise, and heading in a real bad direction health wise.  So I started exercising regularly and eating right.  I found that you feel SOOOO much better with tons more energy.  I came to realize that this is how we're supposed to live life."

That usually shuts them up pretty quickly.

2008-01-30 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 10:09 AM I need a snappy comeback that's not too insulting...any ideas?

Hey, I like those slacks you have on there.  If you don't mind my asking, where'd you get them?  Did they have any in a 32" waist size?

2008-01-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1184216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
QUOTE]

Hey, now, I spend about 4 hours on Sunday at church (I sing with the choir in the mornings, and then the young adult community I'm involved in is at night). Ironically, there are several of us from the young adults group involved in triathlons - we just fit it around church p>

Go to church all you want...my point is I would never tell you not to and my opinion on that doesn't matter.

It's sad that so many of you see this same thing all the time.

It's okay to be obsessed with work, food, a pro sports team, etc., but when it comes to physical fitness, we're all nutcases for what we put our bodies through.

I take pride in being called nuts sometimes, but when you are recovering from injury you don't want someone saying...why would you want to do that again...that's a stupid goal...you're just going to hurt yourself...etc.

This board is great.

2008-01-30 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 12:53 PM

You're too old (only 35)

35 years is a much larger chunk of your life if all you do is sit on the couch... They'll die before you! No worries...happy now???
2008-01-30 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1184461

aggiecatcher - 2008-01-30 3:51 PM  Go to church all you want...my point is I would never tell you not to and my opinion on that doesn't matter. It's sad that so many of you see this same thing all the time. It's okay to be obsessed with work, food, a pro sports team, etc., but when it comes to physical fitness, we're all nutcases for what we put our bodies through. I take pride in being called nuts sometimes, but when you are recovering from injury you don't want someone saying...why would you want to do that again...that's a stupid goal...you're just going to hurt yourself...etc. This board is great.

Oh, I know you didn't mean it like that. I was just commenting that there is an odd little niche of folks at my church who do triathlons, which I thought was interesting And we are all good little church-goers, who manage to cram in triathlon training. Consequently, none of us have lives, but at least we see each other

2008-01-30 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Luckily for me I don't really care what others think. If it's something I like to do and I'm not adversely impacting others everyone else can just f*&^ off.
2008-01-30 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1184519

Elite
Denver, Colorado

colesdad - 2008-01-30 3:08 PM Luckily for me I don't really care what others think. If it's something I like to do and I'm not adversely impacting others everyone else can just f*&^ off.

X2

2008-01-30 3:56 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I want to make a comment on the whole "you're a bad parent because you spend  too much time training" issue. This is bullsh*t. Yes, it is important to spend time with your kids, but it's equally important to set a good example. Childhood obesity is a huge problem in the U.S. More and more kids are being diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes and high blood pressure. What were once maladies of the middle-aged are being seen in elementary school kids. How the h*ll are you going to tell your child to watch what he or she eats and exercise if you park your fat a$$ on the couch every night and watch TV? Lead by example. It's quite powerful.

2008-01-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1184662

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

MikeTheBear - 2008-01-30 3:56 PM I want to make a comment on the whole "you're a bad parent because you spend  too much time training" issue. This is bullsh*t. Yes, it is important to spend time with your kids, but it's equally important to set a good example. Childhood obesity is a huge problem in the U.S. More and more kids are being diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes and high blood pressure. What were once maladies of the middle-aged are being seen in elementary school kids. How the h*ll are you going to tell your child to watch what he or she eats and exercise if you park your fat a$$ on the couch every night and watch TV? Lead by example. It's quite powerful.

Yup.  My two oldest want to do kids tris this summer!

2008-01-30 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
How much you see you family is yet again...your business.

My 5 year old completed his first last year, and it was awesome. He can't wait until this year. I wholeheartedly agree with the Bear. My wife and I were both college athletes, and our kids already know the value of being athletic...they just know. I just hope our kids don't have quite the obsession with competition my wife and I both have. We don't have video games in our house, and I will resist to the end. Go play outside.

There are times I skip a workout here or there to be "there" for my kids, but if I'm not happy (missing workouts makes me unhappy), then I'm not as good a father as I can be.

It's all about balance baby!

I think I might just go with "F*&K off loser and mind your own F#$King business, its my body."
2008-01-30 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

I've started telling some people, "You know, it's okay to think before you speak, in fact for people like you it is highly encouraged"

I love when they do the "Triathlon math" in their head.  Hmm..800 yds swim....14 miles bike....3.1 miles run..I can do that.  Yeah, saying you CAN do it and ACTUALLY doing it are 2 totally different things.

When I first started with this, my 2 yr old used a straw to imitate me smoking and said "I am Daddy"...now he runs around the house saying "I am Daddy exercising". 

2008-01-30 9:37 PM

Ha! Marmadaddy- I love that! Too funny- and yes, I am going to use that line next time someone proceeds to tell me I'm crazy, and far too old to do tris.
2008-01-30 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

"I do today what other people won't, so tomorrow I can do what other people can't".

It's a good mantra, and applicable here. 

2008-01-31 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Time to get a new set of friends and acquaintances.

I have only received positive feedback and support. And that includes my family doctor also.

Even my wife, or should I say, especially my wife, supports what I am doing. Road bike, bike clothes and accessories, tri classes at the local Y, time involved to swim, bike, and run, etc. Though she will try to keep things in the real world in check. Yesterday, for example, she agreed to pick up the baby from daycare so that I could head right home and take advantage of good weather to go for a run. Soon as I got home I get a call to go for the baby, she's sick. My wife begrudgingly said she would pick up the baby, but I said I would, no problem. Figured my run is gone for the day, oh, well.

When my wife does get home, she feeds the baby, baby throws up on bed and carpet, I help clean up, and she say's to me, "If you're going for a run, go now." Now that's support!

But here's a question...Does the support, or lack of support, and negative comments have anything to do with the weight and body type of the person doing the events? I was skinny, lost weight , so am skinnier, but trying to build muscle on the frame, and only get positive feedback. I wonder if the self-proclaimed clydes are geting a disproportionate share of grief. Some people think 'triathlon' and think 'lean and thin' participants; like it's magically easier somehow for us who are WELL under 200 lbs.

As for being too old, I have officially started to train for multiple sprint tri's, and have become a first time newbie runner, at the grand old age of 45. I may not look it, may not act it, and may not feel it. So if 35 is too old, I better get my Geritol and find some Lawrence Welk re-runs.
2008-01-31 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
My friends are all athletes (former or struggling to stay that way), so they respect it. Well some think I'm nuts to run on a bad knee, but that's my mental disorder.

What shocks me is strangers, people I don't know, at the gym will comment when the see me go for a brick whatever.

How many times have you heard someone respond to finding out you're a triathlete and say, "that's nuts, why would you do that?" I actually feed on that response, and think, yup, its because I'm tougher than you.

My wife is a triathlete, so I get a lot of support there, and my family's support is all I reallly care about in the end. I

t's hard to motivate when you are injured and stuck in the rehab rut, and its even harder when people are telling you they think you are "stupid, nuts, etc." The point of my post was that I people feel so free to rip athletes for taking care of themselves...its sad for them.

2008-01-31 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1184178

User image

Extreme Veteran

indygreg - 2008-01-30 2:19 PM In a nutshell, if I spend 7-10 hours a week training . . . I am a bad father, selfish, a bad husband and generally nuts. If I work 60 hours a week . . . I am a dedicated worker, a father who provides, a go getter, etc. This is F**ked up.

Man this is soooo true! I have a friend that to make a long story short, got divorced and lost his child to his ex-wife mostly because of his work-a-holic attitude. She moved to PA and because he works 60-70 hours a week all the time and travels like you wouldn't believe, he didn't even try to get visitation or custody of his son. Now I am a family first guy, but there are times when work or other items do need to come first but man, not work all the time.

He started giving me crap when I started training for my first Tri back in August. He used the same line on me of how can you take all that time away from your family? It took everything I had to not mention the time away from his son and his now new wife that he has because of his job. He is a good friend of mine and I just wouldn't do something like that to a friend.

My youngest (now 16) wants to one day do a tri with me. He won't even attempt it right now because he is working way too hard to improve at soccer in an attempt to get a scholarship. He does run with me during the summer and we do a few 5k races together. What is better than doing a race with your child? Surely they can't tell me that sitting at home playing Xbox or watching TV with my children is better? Well they can but I don't buy it.

Anyway, to the OP, I usually just ask folks to come do a race with me. Usually the do like Rick said, they do the "Tri" match and say oh well 800yds, 14 miles and 5k that isn't so bad. I think I could do that. Until you tell them that you can get you both signed up for a race coming up in about 6 weeks if they really want to give it a go.

2008-01-31 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1184781

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
1st Timer in NY - 2008-01-30 5:40 PM

When I first started with this, my 2 yr old used a straw to imitate me smoking and said "I am Daddy"...now he runs around the house saying "I am Daddy exercising". 

That is so awesome. I dare someone tell you you are a "bad parent" cause you work out.

I tell people, yes I do Ironmans and you know what it makes feel feel good and makes me happy. Have you ever realized a lifelong dream? ....... I have! You know what else, there is nothing special about me...... but when I get old, I'm gonna have some stories to tell.

Edited by southwestmba 2008-01-31 4:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Would You Tri? Negative People Rss Feed  

of 3