General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cocoa beach/melbourne area tri scene? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-01 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Cocoa beach/melbourne area tri scene?
I might be moving to Patrick this summer...can anyone clue me in on the tri scene down there?

Also, how are the cycling opportunities? I noticed some national seashore land there...any routes through there? Is it possible to commute by bike to Patrick or is it too dangerous to cross bridges?

2008-02-02 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1190271

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: RE: Cocoa beach/melbourne area tri scene?

awwwww, come to MacDill and be part of the Glorious Awesome Tampa Bay Area  BT mafia!! 

all kidding aside.... I haven't been there in years. We used to go out surfing every weekend.  We've taken a couple camping trips to NASA, that's it.   Good luck!   try googling tri clubs or bicycling clubs in the area? 

and it's gonna be a heck of a lot more fun than Biloxi...... 

2008-02-02 8:19 PM

Veteran
I dunno about the cycling out that way, but there is a Spacecoast Marathon and Half in November the weekend after thanksgiving. I may look for a sprint or oly tri out there this year.
2008-02-02 10:13 PM

Florida
I only spent time down towards the melbourne area, and there the bridges are bike friendly. On my way to and from work I'd usually see people riding over.

Although I'll warn you, it'll be a good workout over most of the causeways down there. I did the Battle of the Bridges sprint down there 6 years ago (now its the Healthfirst Olympic) and it goes over the two causeways in Melbourne. That was my introduction to bridges, they're both rather steep and fun to go down
2008-02-04 4:47 PM

Regular
Here's a two links to get you started:

http://www.sctriathletes.com/

http://www.runningzone.com/(click on events)
2008-02-04 8:03 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Locally in early June is the Pineappleman in Melbourne Beach, nice flat fast racing!  Early Oct is the Health First Oly & Sprint. Nice race with the Pineda & Eau Gallie Causeways to ride over (also run over and back the EG Causeway).

In Orlando area there also a number of races to do, I stay out of the freshwater once it the water temps are in the mid 80's.  Swimming in the Indian River lagoon is nice as is off the beaches (when the bait fish and sharks aren't around!)Surprised

Pineda Causeway is technically unlawful to ride on (highway) but a bunch of us do anyway!  Eau Gallie Causeway and Melbourne Causeway are rideable with nice bike lanes and protected walk/run sidewalks.

The EG Causeway (Melbo practically identical):

A nice ride is on the the route where they run the Space Coast marathon.  Very little traffic and some rollies here and there.

There are two Century rides per year, one in Oct and the other in April (ride for the red) that can be done.  The full Centry goes through the national SS IIRC.

Here's a link to a local cycling club.

Let us know when you get to town!

2008-02-04 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, everyone! Keep the info coming! I'm so excited about moving out there...I've tried to stay positive about our "Katrina rebuilding" but it's wearing on me and I need to get out of here before I go insane. This assignment couldn't come at a better time (or to a better place, it sounds!)
2008-02-28 3:42 PM

User image

Melbourne, FL
Another good resource:

http://www.spacecoastmultisport.com/

News is pretty current on local events and links to just about everything.

Welcome to the Space Coast!!
2008-03-13 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
It's official! I'll be there by August.

How's the housing market down there? Any good places to live that'll be near a year-round pool, gym, etc.?
2008-04-21 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1269083

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey did you ever get a reply on the housing / pool questions?

Where you want to live depends on the $. Housing market has dropped ALOT in the past 2 years due to the mortgage/credit deal going on. What was a 300k 3/2 or 4/2 pool house 2-3 years ago is now ~225-250k, a smaller 3/2 no pool home is ~150-200k. There are a fair number of foreclosures in the area these days, just had a 3/2 home on a "lake" in my neighborhood go for 153k recently. Last year it was on the market for 225k. For reference I live in North Melbourne off Wickham Rd, ~ 1.5 miles south of the Pineda Causeway. Homes on Beachside tend to be much older than the homes on the mainland side, especially true of the far North Melbourne, Suntree & Viera areas (32935/32940  zips) as these only have been around for the past 20 years. If you're looking for Apartments or Condo's to rent, the building boom of a few years ago resulted in an oversupply right now and you'll find plenty of options.

As for the area pools, here's a helpful link from the local tri-club, the Suntree Y is 2.5 miles from my house. From what I understand, Patrick has some nice facilities.

Pro-Health is building a new facility in Viera on the west side of 95 (West Viera). The Suntree Y is in the early stages for a new state of the art YMCA that won't be too far from the present location.

2008-05-19 9:59 PM

User image

Florida
i live in merritt island, but viera is a good location. i second the recommendation of pro health and fitness. i do the group exercise sessions mostly and use the pool which is seldom crowded -- i usually don't even have to share a lane. the melbourne location has superior spin classes -- and some classes run back to back great in the winter when sunset limits riding after work. don't know what the upcoming viera location will be like though.
commuting from viera to patrick afb is very doable IMHO... the pineda causeway bridge is the roughest part... but i've only gotten the finger and the horn once in about 6 months of riding here. just get used to getting your hills on the trainer

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cocoa beach/melbourne area tri scene? Rss Feed