Kinane Events
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 4960/8402
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 444/801
Pre-race routine:

Ate PB&J on white bread, looked at the wet ground outside, shuddered.I've run in the rain before so I thought I would be ok. I now know there is a H U G E difference between running 5-6 training miles in the rain opposed to running 13.1 miles in a race in the rain.

So I drove to the parking lot where the shuttles were and got out of my car. OMG It was cold and wet and I still had well over an hour to go before the race started. I got back in my car and drove my ass to starbucks for a quad espresso. My usual pre race/run drink. Who am I kidding, I drink 4 shots of espresso every day. I see some runners in SBUX and we chat. Just getting in and out of there I am now wet and cold and beginning to freak out. I had been in total denial all week of the impending rain crisis. I just thought if I ignored it, it might go away. Also, I know I get very hot when running and once I got started I'd be fine. I just neglected to prepare for all the waiting around I'd be doing. It's not like I didn't know, this is not my first race.
Event warmup:

Met some nice people who let me huddle under their umbrella with them while waiting in line for the shuttle. We wondered what the heck we were doing out there. I said "think positive, in any other part of the country they'd be happy the temps are above freezing" the guy looked at me and said "stop that, or I'll hurt you" I promptly returned to bitching about how awful it was out.

After the shuttle ride to the venue I found my way into a tent. I had made some goals for myself for this race. Of course to finish strong, but I had wanted to go sub 2:30 perhaps sub 2:25. That is what I was telling people, so of course I wanted to do it. My super secret goal I didn't tell anyone and I hardly admited to myself was to finish with an average pace under 11 minute miles.

Standing in the tent, trying to keep warm and dry I watched the rain going sideways. It was windy out there and I knew most of this course was along the waterline, it was going to be a long, wet, windy and cold day for a lot of people. I let all of those goals slip thru my fingers. The last four months of my training have been devoted to this day. I tried not to let the conditions shake me, I almost cried but I never once thought about a DNS. After awhile I was sick of waiting and just wanted to get this over with so I decided to start with the 2:20-2:25 wave anyway.

This is a huge race and the pack of us inched to the start line, and within 5 minutes my hair was sopping wet but I was warm since we were all huddled together. I still couldn't believe my HR was 66 during this time. Finally we hit the mat and I started running.
Run
  • 2h 23m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

What to say. Well, I didn't know what the day would bring. I wanted to go out strong and to try to hit 11 miles in two hours. Deep down I wanted to have my ave pace been under 11 minute miles but didn't know if I could do that.

So my plan was to run the first hour with my HR around 150-155 and shoot for 10:30-10:45 miles. Then to try to do the same for the second hour for 11 miles in two hours. If I could do that (and I was very confident that I could) all I had to do was hang on for dear life (12-13mpm) for the last 2.1 and I'd make my goal if finishing 2:25-2:30

Once I started running I felt pretty good. Warmed up quick and was ignoring how much water was dripping off my eyelashes and that my hair was soaked. Pretty uneventful for the first 4 miles. Close to the 5 mile mark we made a turn and next thing you know we're running uphill into the wind. I hit the mile 5 marker at 52:45 my fast 5 miles ever, I'm still feeling strong,I decide to eat a gel. However I'm worried about the end of the run if the wind is going to be like this but I push those thoughts away and keep going.

By the time I hit the mile 6 marker I was feeling good, Im out of the wind for now and still on track with my time target. Hit the mile 7 marker and started to feel kinda rough around the edges, calves and hips getting a wee bit sore the and cold and wet is really starting to get to me. My HR finally leaves the 150s and it heading into the low 160s, I know I can only maintain that for an hourish and I need to be start slowing down a bit, I cannot keep up this pace. I attempt to do some math and think about what I need to do to stay on target but decide to wait until I hit the mile 8 marker. That leaves me with 5.1 miles left and that is easier math for me to do while running.

So hit mile 8 watch says 1:25 (have no seconds displayed) ok, 5.1 miles in one hour. I can do that I KNOW I can, thats just under a 12:00 pace. It's going to hurt but it's going to get done. I decide to keep running strong, try to keep the HR under 160 and not look at my garmin until the mile 10 marker and would revisit pacing/goals at that point hoping to still run 11 miles in two hours. Hit mile ten at 1:48 and I feel good knowing that I am going to hit 11 miles in 2 hours or get pretty damn close. Ok, head back down, keep running. Hit mile 11 marker and I look down and see my watch roll over to 2 hours. I am not feeling so good but I am positive in spirits. I will run these last 2.1 miles in under 25 minutes if IT KILLS ME. I want 2:25 so bad, I am so close and I am not going to let it get away from me. The wind and rain have decided that I am going to have to work for it. Mile 11 was my longest mile at 11:45 and it was by far the most difficult. I think there was a hill in there? I have no idea it's all a blur to me now. I now set my watch to look at lap time and lap distance and lap pace. I am focused on making these last two miles sub 12. That is my only goal. Just run faster than a 12mpm pace, stop trying to project a finish time. I am going to break 2:25 if I just FOCUS and RUN.

I started hitting the lap button almost every 1/4 mile to help break it down to smaller bits and not make it feel so long. Never has 2 miles felt so freakin' long in my LIFE. Not even the first time I ran two miles did it feel so long. I know this because it was less than a year ago, I remember it well. Those two miles took me more 26 minutes but didn't hurt like this did. Somehow I missed the mile 12 marker. I went back to toal distance display and saw I was over 12! Yipee! Not even 15 minutes left!!!! I was in a lot of pain by this point but I just kept going knowing it would be over soon. Hit mile 13 mark and started to sprint with all I had, I could see the finish line I was soooo happy. I crossed it and saw I was at 2:24xx and OMG I don't think I can continue to stand any longer. I HURT.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. For my first 1/2 mary and training level Im pretty pleased over all. Yes, there is tons of room for improvement but all things considered I think I had a great race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got chip removed and realized just how awful I felt. I needed food and to get somewhere warm. I was SOAKED! I had water dripping off my ponytail and eyelashes and was starting to shiver. I don't know how long it took to get inside to food but it felt like I was on the verge of death. I ate a uncrustables and an apple and started to recover pretty quick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fitness, not the best body composition. Running less than a year over all. The wind and rain also sucked big time. I have to say, I dont think I could have run that any faster even in better conditions.

Event comments:

I think they had a good post race event. I just got the heck back to my car so I could be dry and warm.

Last updated: 2007-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 444/801
Overall: 4960/8402
Performance: Good
I knew the last part was going to be brutal so I said to heck with neg splits. I wanted to go out strong and knew I would just suffer to the end. 10:28, 10:18, 10:26, 10:50, 10:43, 10:42, 11:00, 11:07, 11:10, 11:20, 11:45, 11:31, 11:22, 1:13
Course: Up PCH, a loop thru some houses then back down PCH.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-02-03 5:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-02-03 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1192364

Subject: RE: Surf City Half Marathon
Congrats on getting out there in tough conditions and meeting your goal!
2008-02-03 8:03 PM

Melon Presser
Mix, you absolutely rock the house. All your hard work has really paid off and you were blazing fast today in HORRIBLE conditions. Hats off to you. You are an amazing runner and really pushed through.
2008-02-03 10:08 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WTG, Mixie! Congrats on a great race in "slightly less than ideal conditions". Yeah, I heard one of the event organizers say that today and I just about lost it laughing. LOL
2008-02-04 1:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Awesome race report! Congrats on the race...I am so impressed with your math skills while running. I can't even think hardly past mile 3! Great, great job on the run it was tough out there.
2008-02-04 9:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
What gross conditions!  You ROCKED it though!

2008-02-04 4:32 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Mixie

From Mile 8-13.1 you were running into a headwind, not to mention the final hill at mile 10 but it did not seem to slow you down much. You just kept plugging away and crashed your goal.

Very nicely done

Sorry you had to work on Saturday and miss the lunch. (I posted some pics of the group)

Maybe next time.

2008-02-05 12:37 AM

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Great race in awful conditions - and way to make your goal!
2008-02-05 3:16 AM
in reply to: #1194650

Pro
Irvine, California

Wow, you ran a great race!  The conditions were just horrible, yet you still got it done, and even beat the 11:00 pace!  Congratulations.

We missed you at the BT get together on Saturday, it was a fun time.  But I'm sure there will be more!

2008-02-05 12:50 PM

Master
Long Beach, CA

Wow Verna! I'm so excited for you! You exceeded your goals despite the weather! You rock! I have had pre-race freak out moments too. It's then you realize how much you have to deal with mentally...not only physically!

GREAT RACE AND REPORT!

2008-02-05 2:47 PM

Regular
So. Cal.
PBJ on white! The breakfast of champions!

Great Race Report and congratz on finishing this one, definaly earned the finishers medal!

2008-02-10 8:47 PM

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Great race. Congratulations on finishing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City Half Marathon Rss Feed