General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits...questions, questions, questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-29 5:40 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Wetsuits...questions, questions, questions
Looking to buy my first wetsuit.

How do more expensive ($400ish) compare vs. cheaper ($200ish)?
Any good online stores where I can save a few bucks? however, I'm a little leery of buying them without trying them on. My local stores only have a few brands I could try.
Any good/bad experiences with particular brands?
How long do you expect a wetsuit to last?
I'm figuring I'd be getting long sleeve but if you have advice on johns vs. long sleeve, I'll listen.
How about ebay? Should I keep looking, or stay away?

Thanks for any bits of advice you can offer.

walt

2004-11-29 6:39 PM
in reply to: #87435

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Wetsuits...questions, questions, questions
runnerx - 2004-11-29 4:40 PM

Looking to buy my first wetsuit.

How do more expensive ($400ish) compare vs. cheaper ($200ish)?
Any good online stores where I can save a few bucks? however, I'm a little leery of buying them without trying them on. My local stores only have a few brands I could try.
Any good/bad experiences with particular brands?
How long do you expect a wetsuit to last?
I'm figuring I'd be getting long sleeve but if you have advice on johns vs. long sleeve, I'll listen.
How about ebay? Should I keep looking, or stay away?

Thanks for any bits of advice you can offer.

walt

I bought my first wetsuit at the beginning of last season and I feel what you're going through.

First and foremost, fit is the most important aspect of choosing a wetsuit. If it doesn' fit right it's not worth $1. So definately try on wetsuits at the local store to figure out which one fits you the best then perhaps you could go on-line to purchase it cheaper (that's what I did.)

Although I've only had mine for a season, I've been told that with proper care, a wetsuit can last a VERY long time (scuba-punk can attest to this I'm sure). I know combat divers friends of mine in the military that have their same issued wetsuit well past their 10 year anniversary.

e-bay is a good avenue if it says "new" I would be leary about buying used wetsuits...but that's just my own issue i guess.

like bikes, I was all caught up on getting/affording the "best" wetsuit, the most recent model, etc. The bottom line in buying a wetsuit really comes down to FIT. Find the wetsuit that best fits you and if the more expensive model of the same brand doesn't fit you as well, don't fret over it becuase honestly....it's not really going to make THAT big of a difference in swim times.

Now, if you do find a $400 wetsuit that fits you well and a $250 wetsuit that fits you just as well, how do you decide if the $400 is worth the extra dough? That's probabaly largely a personal decision, but how I would make that decision is:

1. is the more expensive one easier to get off due to the way its cut or does the less expensive one have those features

2. is the more expensive one more durable or less durable (the wetsuit material)

3. do you look good in it (ok, i'm joking about this last one)

I was deliberating between the ironman brand and the xterra brand. I ended up going with the xterra brand because the wetsuit material was more durable against fingernail punctures and the interior of the suit has the great feeling jersey type material that makes getting the suit off a cinch.

long john vs. full wetsuit? I think your gut is telling your right. As I was advised (by my coach) when I bought my full wetsuit rather than a long john:

1. the only real benefit between a long john vs. a shorty is that your legs have a little more flotation (ok, and it's faster to take off in T1)

2. the long john doesn't have that much additional warmth over a shorty because your armpits/arms are still exposed...where the majority of heat loss occurs

3. the water will have a tendency to flow into the suit at the armpits simply due to the sleeveless design, which could create unecessary drag

It's december 2004 and there should be some great closeout wetsuit sales on-line...that's how I bought mine. Check John Cobb's store (www.bicyclesports.com) or another place I know of locally that has on-line wetsuit sales is www.missionbaymultisport.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits...questions, questions, questions Rss Feed