General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practice in/near Cary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-11 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
NC
Subject: OWS practice in/near Cary?
My first tri is in April and is an OWS with a wetsuit. Have not swum in anything other than a pool in 20 years and have never tried to swim in a wetsuit. Any suggestions on where to give both a try prior to April?

2008-02-11 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1204687

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: OWS practice in/near Cary?

Which event are you doing? April is early for an open water swim. There are spots at Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, Kerr Lake etc. where you can swim without the worry of a motor boat (but don't swim alone). Do a search in the BT forumns. As it warms up a bit, check back here...every once in a while a group will get together for a swim. If you are eager to try your wetsuit, go ahead and wear it to the pool...just don't do it often (you will ruin your suit overtime), and don't swim a long time as you will overheat.

Other places to look/ask: Inside-Out-Sports in Cary sometimes has group swims, Trirats of Raleigh is a Tri group that has some group swims as well.

2008-02-12 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
NC
Thanks for the suggestions. Finish Strong's Triangle Orthopaedic Tri is at NCSU's Centennial Campus in mid-April with the swim in the lake.
2008-02-12 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Which lake?! I'm not sure many of our lakes will be deep enough to swim in, if this keeps up.  We swam in Falls weekly last summer, but not so much now...for obvious reasons.  But stay plugged in...it will gear up somewhere...probably Jordan lake will be the next best spot.  I'm with Chris on this one...April does seem a bit early, I hope your swimming in a full suit and don't forget the cap as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practice in/near Cary? Rss Feed