General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike....scared by clipless pedals...advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-23 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1230268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ
Subject: RE: new bike....scared by clipless pedals...advice?

"do you find your feet come out 'pretty easily'....or does it take some 'effort' to get them out?"

They should come out pretty easily.  What I mean by this is that while the actual motion my be new and awkward you shouldn't feel like you need a lot of 'muscle' behind it to unclip.  Just a quick snap of your ankle/heel should do it.  If it feels like you need a lot of brute strength to unclip (assuming you have the motion down) try to lessen the tension on the pedal - I leave mine at the loosest without issue... 

2008-02-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1230228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
chriselam - 2008-02-22 10:17 PM

I'd go for a ride, come to a stop and just fall over, just to get it out of the way. Everyone does it eventually.

So true. There are countless threads that confirm most of us have eaten it because of the clipless pedals, but it is harmless. I think one was entitled "joining the club".
I fell right over on the road in front of my house because I forgot i wasn;t on the trainer anymore. Fall and get it over with. Embrace the fear. Then you will be able to laugh at yourself like the rest of us.
Join the club.

Edited by fgray 2008-02-23 9:46 AM
2008-02-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1230133

Veteran
Just sit on the grass and practice. If you fall over you fall over, it won't hurt that much. Just remember not to put your hand down to try and stop yourself. Take the fall with your body.
2008-02-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1230707

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
ezl - 2008-02-23 7:34 AM

"do you find your feet come out 'pretty easily'....or does it take some 'effort' to get them out?"

They should come out pretty easily.  What I mean by this is that while the actual motion my be new and awkward you shouldn't feel like you need a lot of 'muscle' behind it to unclip.  Just a quick snap of your ankle/heel should do it.  If it feels like you need a lot of brute strength to unclip (assuming you have the motion down) try to lessen the tension on the pedal - I leave mine at the loosest without issue... 

thanks again for all the great advice. in response to this ^^^^. I do feel it takes some brute strength...but I can't seem to make it any less by adjusting the tension....does the 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' rule apply when adjusting the pedals?

Jill
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike....scared by clipless pedals...advice? Rss Feed  

of 2