General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-22 11:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
Subject: spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :)
I have heard a few already....It seems most of you have fallen at some point though...so spill!

Jill

2008-02-22 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1230429

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :)
After I had put clipless pedals on my mountain bike as that is what i was riding to work at the time. First day everyone leaving to go to the parking I am on the edge of the road and there is a sidewalk there also. Light goes yellow uh oh it goes red. ARRRGh I go over onto the sidewalk with a couple of hundred people that I work with. i wasn't hurt and they just laughed but wow did it ever feel like slow motion going over there is just nothing you can do.
2008-02-23 12:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Kailua-Kona now in Oregon,
Subject: RE: spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :)
Well,the first time I fell I was just trying out clipless pedals for the first time in the backyard on my mountain bike. I was cruising around getting used to having my feet "glued" to the pedals and ... did I mention our yard was lined with rose bushes?

Anyhow, I was riding around the yard repeating to myself, "twist the foot, don't pull the foot. Twist the foot, don't pull the foot" over and over again. I was going pretty slowly when the front tire hit a hole in the ground and I suddenly stopped. My first reaction of course was to "pull" my foot off the pedal and catch myself. Yep, right into a rose bush. Tore my shirt, tore my skin and broke the rose bush.

Now that one wasn't embarrassing cause no one saw, but it sure hurt.

My embarrassing one (or should I say, one of my embarrassing ones) was when my wife and I were riding and she was a ways ahead, so I was cranking it to catch up to her. On the route we were on there's a 3-way stop that I never stop at cause the bike lane doesn't cross any traffic, so I usually just barrel through it.

Anyhow, I'm flying down the road just about to catch her when she stops at the 3-way stop making me have to hit the brakes. Oh, by the way it's rush hour and every stop sign has a line of traffic at it.

So I slam on the brakes stopping just beside her, at the stop sign, next to a car waiting his turn to go, with a car at the opposite sign and one across the way at the "T".

Coming to a complete stop and with both feet still securely fastened to the pedals I'm perfectly balanced for the briefest of time. Then I lean. Slowly. And suddenly that helpless feeling you only get when your feet will not come off the pedals when you want them to floods my consciousness. I'm falling, soooo slowly and all the while frantically trying to pull my foot off the pedal to catch myself.

I remember thinking "Why can't I get my foot off this dang pedal?" just before I smack into the ground right in front of the car beside me preventing them from going forward, although I'm sure they were laughing too hard to drive anyway.

As I "twist" my feet out of the pedals so I can get up and out of their way, I can here the car window being rolled down and hear someone in the car ask "Are you OK?"

"Uh, yeah. Stupid pedal. It always sticks ...," I say lamely. Well, I had to blame it on a mechanical. Not sure which was hurt more, my leg or my pride. But I did learn my lesson, twist, don't pull! At least till the next time ...
2008-02-23 2:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser
You know, it's not so much that the fall itself was embarrassing, but the car (at a four-way stop) made its turn, slowed down, pulled up next to me, and the guy (of COURSE it's a cute guy) asked if I was okay. Yeah, let me just breakdance a little here under my bike trying to get up, thanks.
2008-02-23 7:14 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

couch potato no more - 2008-02-23 12:24 AM I have heard a few already....It seems most of you all of us have fallen at some point though...so spill! Jill

Second-ever ride with clipless (also took a spill on the first ride at the end of my driveway, but nobody around) so I was already nervous about it happening again, so I was trying to be ulta-cognitive of stop signs, red lights, etc in order to unclip waaaay ahead of time. I have to ride in a small downtown-type area so it's a little hairy, stop & go for about 2 miles until I get out of the city then it's smooth, windy counrty pavement along the river for as far as I want to go. 

After about an hour really pushing it, I head back into town and the first stoplight is coming up so I unclip my right foot (because I always put the right foot down) and slowly pull up beside a big ol' buick with a couple of milkshakes inside staring at me in my glowing spandex glory and watch, horrified, as I come to a slow stop and casually tip over to the left! By the looks on their faces you'd have thought they had just witnessed a homicide - I think I was up on my feet as quickly as I went down and bolted in embarassment. Good times.

2008-02-23 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
A few years ago I was trying to un-clip at a stop light at the bottom of Central Park (right by the old Plaza hotel) but didn't quite manage to in time and toppled over in front of literally thousands of people. The nice thing was that a few people came over to check if I was OK before the cabs could run me over. Luckily I was fine physically...however my pride was not

2008-02-23 8:08 AM

User image

Master
I have used clipless pedals since 1993... a couple of years ago I got new looks and I was trying them out. Got out the door all of 10 feet and good not get in them and just fell over... Right into a bush. I was pretty embarrassed.
2008-02-23 8:52 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I've got a few good ones.

*A few months after I first got clipless pedals, I was feeling a lot more comfortable with them.  So, I clipped in and started riding out of the parking lot and into the street for my ride.  A car pulled out right in front of me and I wasn't so good at clipping out quickly.  I tried to twist my body up to prevent myself from falling (stupid!) and ended up taking the fall on my rib cage.  I laid on the ground for a minute until on of the kids in my neighborhood asked if I needed help.  Turns out I fractured 3 ribs.  Ouch.

*Last year I was doing a ride and climbing up a really long hill (2 or 3 miles).  I unclipped to take a break, but only had time to get one foot out.  I put it down and my cleat slipped on the ground and I fell down and had the bike on top of me.

I've fallen a few other times without as much pain or drama, but those are the most memorable. 

2008-02-23 9:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-23 10:42 AM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

My MOST embarrassing moment was in a sprint tri out of T1.  You walk your bike out and then there's a small uphill.

Left foot in, clipped, push, great.  Right foot in, push, OH NO!  right foot NOT clipped in, just playing, so my foot slides off the pedal quite forcefully, which then tips the bike over to the left.  I frantically try and get left foot to clip out, of course, nothing happens and I fall over.

Right in front of everybody standing at T1.  Yep.  They all asked if I was ok, I mumbled something got on my bike as fast as I could and left.

2008-02-23 10:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
I don't know whether to laugh at theses stories, be reasurred, or just plain scared (which I alrady am a bit anyway!)

Jill

2008-02-23 10:54 AM

Master
Royersford, PA
I've only fell twice however, both times were in races at a spot in front of alot of people. My first race with clipless peddles, the New Jersey Devilman, right at the line, I hop on my bike and snap in immediately, I was so surprised I got it, I didn't do anything else and did the zero MPH, slow motion, OHHHHHH FUUUUUUUDDDGGGGEEE!!! Fall in front of everyone and then got tangled in my rear wheel spokes. Beside a bloody hand, knee, and brused ego I survived and even PRed.

SO I go a few years without repeating that mistake, until Kona. Here I am at the IMWC's just finished the climb to Hawi, made the turn around and can back to special need. I coast to wear my stuff is, hit the break, and my mind locks up and i can't figure out how to unclip. Once again OHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUDDDDDGGGGGGEEEEE!!! Fortunately I drove for the grass and made it (bike still connected. Only damage was a thrown chain, but it took me about 3-4 tries to clip back in and get going (slight uphill) and almost dumped it again, and I knocked my magnet so I lost my odometer and speedometer for the last 56 miles. You go miles not seeing anyone then at the one spot where there are plenty o folks I dump it. However, I survived that one too and reached the finish.
2008-02-23 11:10 AM

Expert
Plano, TX

I was at my LBS getting fit for my first road bike and then took it for a parking lot spin to try the aero bars out for the first time.  Two spins around the lot and then back to the front door...riding slowly as there were all sorts of people with bikes milling around outside.  Oh, this was also my first ride with clipless pedals.  Yeah....that.  I rolled up to the front door all cool-like, got within 5 feet of the door and came to a standstill, went to plant my left foot and then it hit me.  The ground, that is.  Like a domino, I challenged Newton and lost.  Several horrified onlookers gasped, and the only thing that could be heard was me muttering (out loud), "That did NOT just happen...that did NOT just happen...that..." as I got up and walked my bike back into the store.
If ever there was an actual I Dream of Jeanie moment when you could make yourself disappear, this was it.

Chris

2008-02-23 5:19 PM

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Woo Hoo! I'm in the club. I had my first today.

I saw a guy walking his bike, so was stopping to see if he needed some help. I unclipped on the right, but the road was slanting downward to my left - and that's the way the bike went. So I get up and try to act like it's all good with a quick check to see if I scratched my bike. The guy didn't want my help - had a friend with a truck coming to get him - so I went on my way.

What sucked is I just got this bike in January - new tri bike! This never happened on my old road bike. Fortunately, I just scuffed the seat and crushed a water bottle holder on my flatwing. I broke my fall with my hand, so didn't even mess up my LSU jersey!

Sometimes being a good Samaritan doesn't pay. 

2008-02-23 7:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia

Twice in one week-- this week....

Got LOOK pedals last week after riding in SPD's for the last 6 months.  In a beginners coached ride we are all pulling up in a circle to get some directions.  I use it as an opportunity to practice quick braking.  Pull up, brake smoothly to a stop while standing, pause for a moment, then start to tip.  somehow got my foot out only to have it slip on the wet pavement and I go slow motion falling towards my coach.  We reach towards each other but miss and I slide to the ground.  Apparently it was pretty graceful.  Didn't feel so graceful wiggling on the ground trying to unclip my my other foot.

Then 2 days later pull up to a cross walk and unclip my right foot, only to slowly tip to the left.  BAM!  Of course the sidewalk was filled with people.  I hit the ground and bounced up instantly trying act like nothing happened. No one on the sidewalk was looking at me so I thought the embarrassment wasn't so bad. And was only bummed that I scratched by brake hoods and levers a bit.

Then I hear "Are you ok?" And look behind me to see a cyclist with some of the largest quads I have ever seen pull up. "Yeah, just my pride." I say.  "What happened?" he asked. I'm trying to tell myself this happens to everyone at some point so no need to turn bright red right now.yeah, didn't work.  "Unclipped the wrong foot," I tell him. He just nodded and I'll admit I was pretty happy when the light changed and he wished me a good afternoon and left me in the dust.

2008-02-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1231367

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I managed to get all my falls out in the grass at home with no one around, plus I was 14 at the time.

So I'll share my wife's embarrassing stories

We bought her shoes right before her first go at an MS150 ride. I put on a pair of Time mtb pedals that I had tried and didn't like because they released to easily. She spent 45 mintues on her bike on my trainer practicing. I gave her the most important piece of advice I have.

Don't get cocky. Never come to a stop thinking you only have to take one foot out because you will fall to the wrong side.

We made it 30 miles the first day, come up to a stop light with a whole mess of other riders and she got cocky, only took one foot out and fell to the wrong side and took out the guy next to her. She laughed it off and we kept going. Now is where it gets really funny. It started raining just a few minutes later, we stopped to make an adjustment or something, and she got cocky again. This time she tipped over to an embankment, slid down the wet grass on her back and head and went ares over tea kettle into a mud puddle. At the same time the sag bus loaded with giver-uppers pulls up and asks if she is ok. There are 40 people staring out the window and my wife clambering back up to the road.

Thankfully she was falling over laughing. As she was sliding down, I was thinking "This is it, she's done riding."

She admitted to me both times that she did exactly what I told her not to, only took out one foot.

2008-02-24 6:33 AM

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Mountain biking and after 2 1/2 hours of hill climbs and obstacles no problems. So I ride home and head to the shed. BUT at the last second decide to wash the bike down before putting away. Climbing the 10foot hill to the hose, I start thinking about dinner and a movie. Of course I forgot to clipout and fell down the hill. Jumped to my feet immediately to see if anyone saw me. Nope in the clear and can writhe in pain alone. Cracked /broke 3 ribs two weeks before my 2 attempt at a Tri, DNS. Must learn to remain focused
Another time single unclip, I almost fell over but saved myself by grabbing the light post I was waiting at.
2008-02-24 11:21 AM

Expert
Henderson, NV
I came in from a ride and my son wanted to ride with me around the block.  He is 4 and still on training wheels.  Anyway, around the block we go very slowly.  I had one shoe unclipped because we kept stopping  to talk to the neighbors (very friendly boy).  So we go to stop again and when I went to put my foot down I accidentally clipped in.  Over I went.  My son looks at me and says "Dad, maybe you need training wheels too."  Laughing, I said "Son, maybe I do".  Kids are great. 
2008-02-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1231992

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

cbarnes1 - 2008-02-24 12:21 PM I came in from a ride and my son wanted to ride with me around the block.  He is 4 and still on training wheels.  Anyway, around the block we go very slowly.  I had one shoe unclipped because we kept stopping  to talk to the neighbors (very friendly boy).  So we go to stop again and when I went to put my foot down I accidentally clipped in.  Over I went.  My son looks at me and says "Dad, maybe you need training wheels too."  Laughing, I said "Son, maybe I do".  Kids are great. 

It's good to show the tyke's we're human, too    At least it wasn't in front of a teenaged child - then he would have been more embarassed than you!

Don't you hate it when you accidentally clip in without meaning to? I went down hard once because I didn't expect it to happen. 

2008-02-24 4:46 PM

Newport Beach
This is the story I posted on my team website, YESTERDAY!

So to everyone at the group ride this morning, yes that was me that fell in the parking lot before we even started riding...awesome I know, however it gets better.

After I scraped up myself and my pride off the ground, I actually started to try and ride the bike and not fall down, but then I realized that from my momentous parking lot fall, my seat post turned and my saddle was now pointing due right!!

I stopped and did my best to try and not let anybody see my seat so as not to add even more insult to injury, but then I realized I didn't have an allen wrench to fix it so I tucked my tail between my legs and put my bike in the car and drove home!

I managed to get it fixed and did ride 40 miles today, in the rain, but that's my punishment for being such a Newbie.

I don't know if I will be allowed to stay on the team after this story, but hopefully at least it made you laugh...time to go practice clipping in, in the living room with the nice padded carpet!!

See you tomorrow where I will be the one slipping and falling on the pool deck.

Brad
2008-02-25 8:14 AM

Canada, Quebec, near Montreal
Never had that problem with clipless yet. Had that problem with clips. I used to tie the left one really tights and leave the right one loose enough to slip my shoe out. One day I was crossing a train track not close enough to 90' and too slow so I fell on the left side and domino-ed my friend who was at my left.

Also a near fall when my friend who did the same thing once got his shoelace caught in the gears so both his shoes were tightly tied to the clips. We slowed together and I held his bike while he untied.

2008-02-25 11:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
When I took my new bike out a couple of weeks ago I fell twice in front of the same person. The first time was just me being uncomfortable clipping in and out and I fell at an intersection. This lady came up behind me and asked if I was alright. I said that I was and thanked her for asking. The second time, still being nervous and cautious from my first fall, I noticed that the same lady was coming up from behind again. I was approaching a stretch on the greenway that narrows below a bridge. There are these white plastic picket fences that line each side and the sidewalk drops on each side about a ½ a foot.  I was slowing to let her pass because she was coming much faster. Well, because I was paying more attention to her than what was ahead, my front tire ran off of the sidewalk and I started to topple right into the fence. I couldn’t unclip fast enough and I just fell right into the fence. She came right over to see if I was alright. I was, except for just being really embarrassed.

2008-02-25 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1233796

Sensei
Sin City
I, of course, have fallen several times.  The last time it happened, I KNOW I was trying to unclip.  I landed hard and was PI$$ED because it shouldn't have happened.  When I got home, I check my cleats, sure enough, the one cleat was loose and just spun on the bottom of my shoe when I tried to twist out.  Now I check my cleats often.....

Once I was the new guy on a group ride, pulled up to the row of other riders at a light, tried to unclip, couldn't and toppled right into the guy next to me  He kept me up, thank goodness, or we could have gone down like dominoes.  He was like "DUDE, What the F!!!"  Once he realized everything was ok, and what happened, we just laughed.  I was SO embarrassed.

One other time, I was the last to get to a stopping point on a MTN bike trail I was doing with about 4 other guys and a couple girls.  All the others come to a stop to watch and wait for the other riders to come down a technical section.  I was the last one down, handled the trail wonderfully, come screetching to a stop, can't unclip and fall over like a sack of potatoes into a juniper bush with an entire audience.  They give me crap ALL DAY about that, and STILL remind me about it to this day.

2008-02-25 1:21 PM

Champion
Brandon, MS

I took a spill at T2 in my first ever triathlon.  I came in, stopped at the line, and heard, "UNCLIP, UNCLIP!!!" 

Doh!

I did manage to get out just in time to plant a heel down, which of course slipped right out from under me.  So there I am, laying on my back with my bike on top of me in front of a few hundred people.  One of the volunteers came to help me up and at least he said, "Not the first time I've seen it, and it sure won't be the last.  Now have a good run."

2008-02-25 5:07 PM

Expert
Madison, MS

I always manage to fall from a standstill. I know, I know...but it can be done. First time (of many), I needed to make a u-turn on a narrow bike trail and since I was not all that confident in my bike handling skills, I decided to stop, unclip on one side, and scoot myself around. I unclipped my right foot, put it on the ground, and proceeded to u-turn to the left. Doh. Smacked my knee on the pavement. Nice.

Hubby has a few of his own. My fav is when he took his car to the garage for some work and decided that he would just ride home. So, there he is, all cool and what-not in his cycling shorts and jersey, heading out of the parking lot, when he wonders if he forgot his wallet. So, he stops. Just stops. Feet still clipped in. Slow-mo topple in front of all the mechanics. Good one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :) Rss Feed  

of 2