General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-25 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1230429

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :)

I was almost finished with my first 50 mile bike and had to make it past two more intersections. I was stopped at one of the intersections right next to the lead car, as I came to a stop my legs were too tired to unclip, so I just stopped rolling and just fell over. I can't imagine what the expression was on the drivers face next to me when I disappeared, but it made me laugh the expression when I popped right up out of thin air, I was way too tired to be embarrassed!

2008-02-25 6:30 PM

Subject: RE: spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :)
My first experience with clipless pedals had me clipping out & back in with my Left foot.
As I came to a stop, however, I had my weight shifted as if I were gonna put my Right foot
down. Sooo, as I was just starting to tipover toward the right, I went into frantic pulling to get
my right foot out (with toe-clips I usually had them tensioned so that a panic-pull could get
them out). The only thing the frantic panic-pull did was bang myself with the top-tube all
the way down! I was mightily embarassed for my unclip-shuffle-dance.
2008-02-25 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1233362

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Fastfwd - 2008-02-25 9:14 AM Never had that problem with clipless yet. Had that problem with clips. I used to tie the left one really tights and leave the right one loose enough to slip my shoe out. One day I was crossing a train track not close enough to 90' and too slow so I fell on the left side and domino-ed my friend who was at my left. Also a near fall when my friend who did the same thing once got his shoelace caught in the gears so both his shoes were tightly tied to the clips. We slowed together and I held his bike while he untied.

Get your kneepads out - you've just been jinxed - be sure to post here when you join the club!

Happy landings 

2008-02-25 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
I am loving the stories...sorry to laugh at your expense!

my family has already had their fair share of laughs at me! last night I took the bike out of the trainer...was going to try practicing in my large recroom in the basement...it is 38' feet long and carpeted...made 2 attempts to get clipped IN and proceeded to fall BOTH times...once left and then right! My 14 year old comes down and sees me with my bike on top of me and says:''HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?!?" (he thought I fell over with the bike in the trainer)....

then tonight he asks me "are you going to come down and practicing falling off your bike again?" (smartass!)

Jill
2008-05-22 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA

Alright, I've just been de-virginized.  I've been riding clipless only this year and have gone out on maybe 15-20 rides.  First time trying to clip in I just zoomed right of the driveway.  I thought it was really easy but I knew from previous posts that I'd take a digger at some point when I got complacent or unlucky due to some car.

So, just had a great ride in which I was really trying to hammer.  Did great for me.  Came flying into the driveway all proud of myself.  Unclip the left foot.  Bike swerves and puts all my weight on my right side.  Crash!  The "oh shite, my stupid arse is going down" moment you all talked about is so true.  I was laughing at myself before I even hit the ground!

Thought I'd share.

2008-05-22 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Tried to do a track stand at a very crowed intersection the other day...I was quite proud of myself at how long I was able to stay up.."looking good" I thought to myself. Alas, it was not long enough, and the light hadn't changed...I was going down. I was able to clip out my left foot, but I stumbled and bumbled out in front of the cars with my right foot still clipped in (still trying to protect that knee)...I was slipping and sliding all over the place on my cleat. I tried to hide the embarrassment from my face, but there was at least 10 cars at the intersection that witnessed this mess. The teenage kid in the front seat of the car next to me (quite mad at the world as indicated by his brooding look, black hoodie over his head, and Ipod cables handing out) riding to school with mom even cracked a smile and glanced at his mommy. Damn goths.

2008-05-22 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

I have fallen twice.  First time was a couple of days after I picked up my pedals and shoes.  I fell into my front yard as I was just practicing.   Not to bad, no one saw me.

The second time however, I had just crossed a very busy street and was at a point that I just wanted to stop and get a drink, so I unclip my right foot, slow to a stop and as I go to unclip my left foot, I spaz out and jerk my left foot up a little.  As I start to tip I push my left foot down and my large chain ring cuts up the back of my leg.

Check my album for the picture, 7 mile ride home, get in the car and drive to the ER and get 22 stitches, needless to say I have a sweet scar now.

2008-05-22 8:00 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
A training ride for my first tri, there was a pre ride of the course.  I got stopped at a light and had my right foot unclipped, leaving the left one clipped.  The light was taking forever to change so I was shifthig around to try and get it to do so...yep, fell over in front of the gang that was catching up to me as well as all the Bubba's hanging around the local service station (the bubbas laughed to add insult to injury)

Edited by zipp1 2008-05-22 8:02 PM
2008-05-22 8:08 PM

Veteran
CA

Just got my clipless pedals on yesterday and have already had three close calls - one very nearly a fall, but I got out just in time to stumble and look stupid. I know it happens to everyone, so I'm dreading, yet looking forward to getting my first fall out of the way...hah.

A question for all you guys - how long did it take you to get really good at clipping in? My first day was horrid, and this being my second day, it's getting better. I can get my right foot to clip in without looking a couple times in a row, but my left still sucks hard. How much practice did you guys need to get it down pat? 

2008-05-22 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
I practiced over the winter on my trainer and was pretty good at it right off the bat when I started riding outside.  I think its so easy for me because I bought SPD's with mountain bike shoes thanks to people on this site.  The MTB shoes have a nice little track between treads to glide you right in.
2008-05-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1420401

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
AnthonyF - 2008-05-22 8:08 PM

Just got my clipless pedals on yesterday and have already had three close calls - one very nearly a fall, but I got out just in time to stumble and look stupid. I know it happens to everyone, so I'm dreading, yet looking forward to getting my first fall out of the way...hah.

A question for all you guys - how long did it take you to get really good at clipping in? My first day was horrid, and this being my second day, it's getting better. I can get my right foot to clip in without looking a couple times in a row, but my left still sucks hard. How much practice did you guys need to get it down pat? 

Practice, practice, practice.  Muscle memory and repetition is your friend.  Varying pedals will provide easier ingress/egress, but you'll get a lot of opinions on which ones are better.  Don't worry as much about clipping in without looking as making sure you are steering properly to make sure you don't hit someone/something.

One mistake a lot of people make is to absolutely forget they have a 2nd foot clipped in when starting out after a stop.  If you miss clipping in on the first pass (and have recovered from the invariable shin injury), use the clipped in foot to pull the cranks around for another try.. don't back pedal and try to balance while losing any momentum you had.  Just something I have experienced that may help you.

Chris

2008-05-22 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1420417

Veteran
CA
livestrong - 2008-05-22 6:17 PM

Practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory and repetition is your friend. Varying pedals will provide easier ingress/egress, but you'll get a lot of opinions on which ones are better. Don't worry as much about clipping in without looking as making sure you are steering properly to make sure you don't hit someone/something.

One mistake a lot of people make is to absolutely forget they have a 2nd foot clipped in when starting out after a stop. If you miss clipping in on the first pass (and have recovered from the invariable shin injury), use the clipped in foot to pull the cranks around for another try.. don't back pedal and try to balance while losing any momentum you had. Just something I have experienced that may help you.

Chris

Thank you - yeah, I learned today from missing my second clip bunches of times that I could easily just go through the regular motion with the clipped in foot to swing the other crank around for another try. Definitely much better than trying to back pedal.

2008-05-22 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
IM Lake Placid 2007, second loop I drifted toward the shoulder of the road to take a whiz (no, I'm not good enough to even consider peeing on myself) and got caught in a rut in the sand, could not unclip, and crashed helplessly into some bushes.  Fortunately, these were the same bushes I had intended to pee in anyway.  Other than a bloody knee, a bent left branke handle, and wounded pride, I kept on going on was able to laugh about it that night after I finished.
2008-05-22 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

The first time I had clipless pedals I was trying them out and ran into a bird I really fancied (hope you understood that bit) and rode up next to her thinking I was the king, then couldn't get out of the pedals quick enough and fell over like a tree, crashing to the ground in a heap.

I was ok, except for my bruised ego Embarassed

Oh well we live and learn!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :) Rss Feed  

of 2