General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best wetsuit for beginners? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-27 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: Best wetsuit for beginners?
I know that some models are better for beginner swimmers: I am going to make HIM and IM next summer and I see so many brands and models and I feel lost there.
I read around that some models give more buoiancy and a beginner can get more advantage from thos special models.
Can you post your suggestion for a beginner like me? I can swim 1km in the pool in 19'30".

2008-02-27 6:38 AM
in reply to: #1238202

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Best wetsuit for beginners?
Plissken74 - 2008-02-27 7:25 AM

I know that some models are better for beginner swimmers: I am going to make HIM and IM next summer and I see so many brands and models and I feel lost there.
I read around that some models give more buoiancy and a beginner can get more advantage from thos special models.
Can you post your suggestion for a beginner like me? I can swim 1km in the pool in 19'30".

If you're going to race those distance, I wouldn't say that you're a beginner.

My advice is to try lots of them on. Some fit differently than others, some are 2 pieces, some are sleeveless, and it's more a question of comfort than anything else. And the sizes are just difficult to work out from a catalog. If there isn't a store near you, then I'd speak to a customer service rep and get a few sent out to you, returning the ones you don't like. It would be worth the return shipping cost. Believe me, chaffing in salt water is not fun.

Or, if you have some open water races coming up this summer, see if you can rent a few different suits for a test drive. Some races have links on their sites for rentals.

As for me -- I have an Ironman Stealth, which I bought at the end of a season, so it was about 1/2 price. That's the other suggestion I have for you. Just like with cars (at least in the US), wetsuits are cheaper in September than they are in March. So if you don't absolutely positively need one this summer, you might save some serious $$$ if you wait until fall to buy it.

Good luck!
2008-02-27 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
All things considered, if the thickness of the wetsuit is the same across models, there's probably no noticeable difference in bouyancy.  Just get something that feels comfortable on you in the water.
2008-02-27 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Buoyancy is 100% about the mass of the neoprene vs the mass of the water is displaces. There's very little difference in the density of the various neoprenes out there, so for a given thickness, you're going to see essentially the same amount of "floatiness". The main differences are going to come in how the suit fits. And that is the most important part of buying a wetsuit -- how it fits you. Most companies will have suits at different price-points. Find the one that fits your budget and body.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best wetsuit for beginners? Rss Feed