General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going to Kona on vacation and would like some advice on training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-01 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Subject: Going to Kona on vacation and would like some advice on training
Hey folks..
I am so excited!! Im going to be in Kona for 6 days and would love the opportunity to swim, bike and run part of the Ironman course. Does anyone know of any triathletes or training company that will assist you to do the swim and be a support vehicle on the bike??? My husband is willing to follow me in the car during the run or ride, but I really would rather have him on the beach with a Mai Tai in his hand

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2008-03-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1246373

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1246373

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Going to Kona on vacation and would like some advice on training

Shops to get information at:

Bike works, official bike shop of the Kona IM

Cycle Station, in industrial area by costco, they arrange rides as well

Kona Running Company, Coconut Grove Market Place, near Lulu's on Alii drive, just behind the beach volleyball court

The Kailua bay swim course is nicely marked.  There is a lot of construction on the Queen K right now between Kailua town and Costco, but I would still recommend running it at least in and out of the energy lab.  Just to say you did it, there is a slight stench down at the beach, but you get used to it.  Or if you prefer, just run Alii drive between Kailua peir and Keahou.  If you don't want to do a century ride, I would recommend starting your bike at Spencer Beach Park in Kawaihae and riding a loop to Hawi and back.  Tough climb into a head wind but the tail wind back is a lot of fun. 

Enjoy your stay here!  I would suggest going in for a copter ride to the volcano.  The lava flow is very scenic right now and the best view is from the sky.  Make sure you book in advance though, a lot of people have the same idea.

Aloha-

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going to Kona on vacation and would like some advice on training Rss Feed