General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Only half my muscles work!?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-06 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: Only half my muscles work!?!?!
Ok, so I went to a physical trainer today re: back pain. After a LOT of evals, he told me that I'm 50/50. Half of my muscles aren't working correctly and the other half are pulling overtime and that is why I'm so physically tired all of the time. It certainly would explain a lot... but has anybody ever heard of this?

CONFUSED!

2004-12-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: #89890

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Only half my muscles work!?!?!

I use both legs when running.  Hopping on one leg would be a lot harder..

Sorry.  I know that's not what your trainer meant.

I think he means that your running is overdeveloping some muscles and leaving other muscles under developed.  This supposedly leads to various injuries and pain.  The usual advice is weight lifting and stretching to work on the muscles used less in running.  What did your trainer suggest you do?

TW 

Edited by tech_geezer 2004-12-06 4:24 PM
2004-12-10 1:44 PM
in reply to: #89890

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Only half my muscles work!?!?!
I'm right there with Techgezr... if you're like me, then you're probably freaking out. I think what the P/T will try to do is to give you exercises to strengthen the weaker muscles.

The big key is to prevent overuse injury- especially if only 50% of your muscles have gotten used to doing all the world. IT's time to get the other half pulling their own wieght.

I hope this helped some, if not... don't feel embarassed to get clarification on what they are telling you. The P/T's are there to help YOU... and if you don't get it... then they're not doing their jobs.

Alrighty, hope that helps and lots of luck evening out the muscles!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Only half my muscles work!?!?! Rss Feed