General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast flat changing and how to get faster. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-16 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Subject: Fast flat changing and how to get faster.
I am getting better and better at changing a flat on my clinchers now, but still not where it is what I call fast.

Are there any tricks?

Yesterday I had a flat and got the KM40, let's call her UGA, broken down and the rear tire off fast. My little brother in law "borrowed" my pry bar so I took my skewer off and used the lever for that, worked great.

Got the old tube out and found the shard of glass that was sticking out and got the new tire's valve in, but then struggled getting the tube to stay in, as I rotated it around it kept falling out.

FYI I pulled the tire half off and inserted the tube in from the half off side, and worked it around.

Then I orally inflated it just a bit to get any kinks out and put the tire back on with the skewer, then inflated with the CO2 inflator, first time using that.

Everything was good to go and I was cocked and locked, I jumped onto UGA and a shot rang out, I knew that I was ill prepared for a gunfight with only a tri top, bike shorts and a squirt bottle so I tried to haul arse out of there, but it wasn't a gunshot afterall. It was a very explosive specialized 650 tube, and I wasn't going anywhere.

I called in the extraction team and was lifted out of there with UGA and we both had to have some medical attention back at HQ, Blue Moon for me and a new tube for UGA.

Got to redo my 1hr/30min brick today as my schedule was booked yesterday and only had two hours to get my workout in. Dagnabbit

What did I do wrong, and what can I do to get better?

Edited by ZekeB 2008-03-16 8:33 AM

2008-03-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1274424

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Fast flat changing and how to get faster.

I think there's a recent video on the site, and it probably covers this, though I haven't watched it so I can't say for sure.  But it sounds like you had a pinch in the tube when you inflated it and that was why you flatted again.  A couple pointers to help you out.  Before trying to work your new tube around the rim, orally inflate it a little at that point rather than after you have it in place.  You'll find it will go in and stay in place much better rather than falling out like you experienced.  It's very difficult to put in a completely deflated tube.  If possible (this takes a little hand strength) when you seat the bead of the tire on there, try to roll it on with your hands rather than using a tire iron.  That's easier said than done with some tires, and some people just don't have the hand/thumb strength for doing this.  Then, when everything is back together, push the valve in and pull it out a couple times to make sure it is seated.  Work your way around the entire tire squeezing it on both sides and looking for any portions of inner tube that are sticking out beneath the tire bead (you shouldn't see any tube).  This will make sure that the tube is properly seated inside the tire. 

Lastly, while back at home, check your rim to make sure that your rim tape is good and that nothing sharp (like the end of a spoke) is protruding into the tube.  An old wheel might suffer from that problem.

More tire changes = faster changes.  Once you've done it a few more times, you will breeze through a change. 

2008-03-16 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Practice, practice, practice.

Do drills just like you drill everything else.  Through this you'll find little tricks and things that will speed up the process.

2008-03-16 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

First, two good (like Pedro's) or three regular levers.  Before I splurged on the Pedro's levers, I have no idea how many levers I snapped, especially if I was trying to work quickly.

Beyond that it is all about practice, however if you are practicing for speed I would do this at home or when you have patches or another tube for backup.  As you've discovered, a fast change is worthless if you are on your last tube and puncture it...

Shane

2008-03-16 6:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-16 6:38 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Get enough flats on your training rides will help make you more proficient, but let me tell you the key to changing a flat in a race.

At IMAZ, my first IM where qualifying for Kona was my goal, I flatted the tubular on my disc wheel on the first lap of the bike. I had NEVER changed a tubular before during a race. I had only practiced it at home. Here's what I learned about flatting in a race.

1. STAY CALM
2. SLOWLY WORK THE PROBLEM
3. DO NOT PANIC!
4. Lay out your repair gear and begin a methodical process of steps to remove the tire, in your case the tube, put the new tube in, replace the tire, check for pinches, apply C02, put back on bike properly, continue.

I lost maybe 6 min changing that tubular as I had valve stem length issue to deal with as well, but I fixed it and went on to a 5:05 ride and my Kona slot. It was the biggest challenge of my day.

2008-03-17 9:43 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Some suggestions:

* Put the air in the tube orally before you even put it in the tire.
* Push the valve through the hole, and then put the tube in the tire, not on the rim.
* Push the valve up into the tire when you start the bead there.
* Don't use levers to get the tire back on the rim unless you absolutely need to.
* Check to make sure the tube isn't caught under the tire bead (push the bead back and look for the tube) before you inflate.

Hope that helps.

2008-03-17 10:10 AM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Good suggestions here, one I've yet to hear is to pre-powder your tubes with talcum. This keeps them from sticking and possibly kinking within the tire and causing the incident you described.
2008-03-17 10:17 AM

Champion
MA

I spend one weekend practicing and I'll change my tube 10x minimum. I have my kids time me and try to go as quickly as I can. Like others say practice and more practice for me is really the key. In top form I can go sub 4 minutes.

Thanks for reminding me I need to spend some time practicing soon.

2008-03-17 12:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I have a lever that is plastic over steel, so even I can't break it, but it was borrowed by the little brother in law. Don't worry, after I got back I showed him where else you can keep a tire lever so he won't borrow mine for a while now.

Thanks for the tips, I will talcum my tubes today for my ride tomorrow.

I had previously been told to roll the tire hard on the ground once it was partially inflated which is what I did, but will do it with my fingers.

I take off and put the tire on only with the lever as needed, I have to use it the last couple of inches, but otherwise isn't too bad.

Does anyone take more than one tube on sub 50 milers? I am considering it since having to wait on my extraction and the time involved forced me to push my brick to yesterday, which killed yesterday's swim and run,

thanks again.

2008-03-17 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1276231

Champion
Northridge, California
ZekeB - 2008-03-17 10:58 AM

I have a lever that is plastic over steel, so even I can't break it, but it was borrowed by the little brother in law. Don't worry, after I got back I showed him where else you can keep a tire lever so he won't borrow mine for a while now.

Hey, I bought a set of those plastic-over-steel tire levers...and broke one the next flat I got.

I've switched to a set of solid metal levers. Tired of broken levers. (Also switched to heavier tubes last summer...had gotten even more tired of flats...haven't flatted since. Yeah, I'm sure they weigh a little more, but I'm not going to be qualifying for Kona any time soon, so I'm okay with the tradeoff so far...)

Edited by tcovert 2008-03-17 1:13 PM

2008-03-17 1:27 PM

Pro
Olney, MD
If I'm out riding by myself I carry two tubes and a patch kit! There's no telling how long I might have to wait for "extraction" if I can't roll out on my own.
2008-03-17 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1275769

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
KathyG - 2008-03-17 10:17 AM

I spend one weekend practicing and I'll change my tube 10x minimum. I have my kids time me and try to go as quickly as I can. Like others say practice and more practice for me is really the key. In top form I can go sub 4 minutes.

Thanks for reminding me I need to spend some time practicing soon.

This brings back memories for me. During Ironman training, we would have a practice session twice a month on changing flats. All 4 of us could do it the low 4 minutes by race day. Luckily, none of us had to do it in the race. We used video in practice, which made for some funny video but didn't really do much for us.

Another tip on the rear tire is to put bike in the small rings before you take the wheel off. Makes it easier to slide back on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast flat changing and how to get faster. Rss Feed