General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies: long hair question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-24 9:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Subject: Ladies: long hair question
I need to advice of the ladies (larger sample pool) who have long hair.

I have been growing my hair out for almost 2 years and it is past shoulder length. It is getting a bit irritating in terms of training (especially over-heating)

Does anyone have any management tips OR "I couldn't stand it so I cut it off" stories?

2008-03-24 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1291094

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: RE: Ladies: long hair question

this has been discussed several times before.  I do a singlefrench braid when racing, ponytail when training.  No problem, and I live in hot and humid FL.

swim- I wet my hair in the shower before and use spray on or leave in conditioner after the swim.

here's one of my fave pics- taken at BT Gasparilla 2006. IT's pretty much the same length now. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=9928

Quite a few chicks on BT have super long hair. 

2008-03-24 10:24 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

For me, racing, pony tail all the way.  Stuff it up under the swim cap, pull it through the bike helmet, and pull it through the opening on the swim cap.  Out of my way, NOT on my neck and not bothering me at all.  I usually do run with a hat or headband or something though, because I always get those annoying pieces that work their way out of the elastic and get in my eyes/mouth/etc.  The hat totally takes care of that.

I tried a French Braid and the problem was that my hair in that form - well, my helmet didn't really fit, and when I jammed it on anyway, and rode I ended up with a MAJOR headache so I don't do that anymore.  Whether the French Braid technique would work probably depends on the thickness of your hair.  I haven't tried the single braid yet, but that's something I'lll probably need to check out cause my hair is getting below my shoulder blades now.

For Training, for swimming I usually just twist it up, and put it under the cap. You pull it back like you were going to make a pony tail and then just start twisting one way or the other, kinda pulling it up along your head.  Look up instructions on how to make a French Twist that's the basic idea.

I don't like using elastics generally, they're uncomfortable and they pull, so for riding/running in training I'll do the same pull through type thing but just not with the hair in a pony tail, if that makes sense.

My hair's been past shoulder length for about 4 years now and so far so good.  People with super long hair though, they have more challenges.   And, I admit, every once in a while I get the snarl from hell and I'm REALLY tempted to take scissors to it and whack it all off.

2008-03-24 10:51 PM

User image

I never really had a problem with long hair, but now that it's shorter I spend a lot less time in the shower. It's worth it for me.
2008-03-24 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
My husband would kill me if I cut off my hair. I did it once just because I was mad at him, but regretted it. I look AWFUL with short hair. My hair runs between just below shoulder length and almost to my rear length.

I have yet to figure out how to do a french braid. I usually use a ponytail at the base of my skull. It will shove up under a swim cap and will fit easily under a bike helmet. I always wear sunglasses and so the flyaways stay out of my eyes when I run. When I have my hair in multiple lengths that won't all stay in a pony, a headband or a visor works great.

I like to make sure to put in some conditioner before I swim and make sure to get the chlorine out of it as soon as possible afterwards.

I guess what I am saying is, if you like long hair, keep it. Do what you need to make sure you can.
2008-03-25 1:53 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I wear a single braid for all events.  When I swim in the pool, I slather conditioner on my hair before I tuck it in my swim cap, which seems to protect it from the chlorine.

My hair is too long to just do a pony tail on a ride, as it'll whip around and get me in the face anyway.

For a run, I keep it in a braid just to minimize the amount of tangle as it swished against my top.  As it is, I get a massive dreadlock if my hair is damp (like in a race).

I don't think my long hair contributes to over-heating.  The fact that it's a dark color might, but I always wear a light-colored running hat.

The dreadlock:

2008-03-25 4:41 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I'm oddly envious of the gals who have cute short haircuts but I just don't have the head/face to carry off a short haircut.

I just do the pony tail thing. I thought about cutting it off but I like the versatility it gives me for the rest of my life outside triathlon. (What, you say? There's life outside triathlon )

As for it adding to maintenance, on days that it gets washed, which is only 3x per week (days I swim) it only adds 15 minutes to the regiman, so hardly an imposition.

Good Luck!
2008-03-25 8:35 AM

User image

Buttercup

3 years ago, my hair was long enough to touch my bra in the back. I cut it VERY SHORT and after about 1.5 years of keeping it short, I started letting it grow out again. It's at my shoulders now and I intend to keep it long. I like short hair but I like longer better. Now that I'm running again, I make pigtails and that works just fine.

2008-03-25 8:45 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I haven't worn hair past my jaw in YEARS.  I look terrible in long hair!
2008-03-25 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
My hair is about 3 inches past my shoulders.  I put my hair in a lower ponytail, then braid the rest.  Seems to work OK  
2008-03-25 11:14 AM

User image

Master
biking I've been doing low pigtails... but running is a pony tail - haven't raced yet and now y'all give me another thing to think about!

2008-03-26 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
I have lots of layers with the longest layer about two inches past my shoulders. I do a ponytail for the swim tucked under the cap, but then my helmet has never worked all that well with a ponytail (even with the women's helmet with the "ponytail port") so I just leave it loose. It kind of strings out beneath my helmet, but I'm not exactly looking beautiful during the races anyway. For the run I pull it into a ponytail while I'm running out of transition and put a hat on to keep all of the layers out of my face.
2008-03-26 4:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Swim: I shove everything up in the swim cap, no rubber bands. I like to swim with one on my wrist so I can locate it in T1.

T1: Helmet on, low ponytail. Pic of me doing this.

T2: Helmet off, running hat on. Usually I leave it in a ponytail, but in this race I had to get it off my neck. I do this while running out of T2.

2008-03-26 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

I'm not a lady, but I have known many very nice ones.

I have longish hair (long enough to be called freak every now and again - but it's curly, so it misbehaves at every opportunity.

Pony tail works for me for swimming, under the helmet and through the cap "thingy at the back" during the run.

One thing I've noticed.

I have to use conditioner - otherwise I get those annoying frizzies, but I digress.

When I use conditioner, the swim cap will not stay on right, and I have to tighten the goggle straps to keep the cap on my head. Otherwise the air pocket between my head and the cap makes me look like a bizarre indoor Portuguese Man-of-war

So the moral of the story is less or no conditioner on swim days (sadly I swim three noon hours a week - so I have a lot of bad hair mornings.)

I've tried washing the stuff off just before the swim, but the cap doesn't stay on at all when the hair is wet.

Okay, I'll go back to the manly world now.

Edited by windnsnow 2008-03-26 4:48 PM
2008-03-26 7:25 PM

Long hair. Not a big deal. Learn where the pony tail needs to be to put on your helmet. Race morning, put the pony tail in and check the helmet to see that it's in the right spot. Then, put your cap on (pull the ends of the pony tail up towards the top of your head). When getting out of a salt water swim I do not dunk my head after I take my cap off. The pony tail is already in the right spot, so you can just throw your helmet on. I also wear a second pony tail holder on my wrist right from the start. 2 reasons...if the one you have breaks during the run, you're not screwed, and 2, assuming it doesn't break, you can ball it up with that second pony tail holder once you're on the run to get it off your neck. By the time you're in the run you're sweating enough that all my fly-aways stay back pretty well. The other option if you have a lot of little pieces that will fall out of the pony tail is to grab one of those elastics that go around your whole head in T2 and throw it on during the run. I like simple ones from Wal-Mart that have a grippy side. Make sure you try a bunch of these out. It takes awhile to find which brand is a good fit for your head and doesn't fall off b/c it's either too loose or too tight.

Don't cut the hair....you can do so much more with longer hair outside of tri's!
2008-03-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1296264

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I just cut mine short (ear-length) a few weeks ago - LOVE IT! ... had long hair for years, and find with it short it's less work, easier to do, and much nicer when training.

But a caveat to this - you must have a good cut in order for it to be hassle-free ... spend the money on a good stylist who knows what he/she is doing.

2008-03-26 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
I ain't cutting my tail for nothing.
2008-03-26 10:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have really short hair and it makes training so much easier. It is now about 1.75" and needs to be cut and I have an appointment Friday.

First time it happened by accident with miscommunication with my hair stylist now it is just part of who I am. I tried growing it out over the winter and hated it.

2008-03-27 12:20 AM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I had ultra-short hair for years, now it's long again. I just don't like to get hair-cuts. With short hair you need to get a trim at least every 2 months or so to keep it looking nice. With long hair you can go much longer in between cuts, or just tie it all back.

I hate the blah blah from the stylist while I'm trying to relax, I hate to fork over way too much money for a simple trim, I hate to spend the time for the appointment...

Now I just make a ponytail with several elastics close together and then cut the ends off. My hair is naturally curly so a few uneven spots don't stick out. Training every day and then even twice a day just isn't conducive to "styled" hair so it ends up in a pony tail most of the time anyway.

I'd rather spend my money on good food and my time on eating

2008-03-27 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
for training its just a pony tail-swim, bike and run, although on the run I'll use an elastic headband as well for the flyaways.

For race day its a braid, mostly because when I bike or run with a pony tail it turns into a knotted mess that takes forever to undo. So two braids usually, and with my running shoes I have an elastic headband that I put on (usually I carry it out of T2 and do it while running).

2008-03-27 7:56 AM

User image

New user

i part my hair down the middle and braid it in two braids. it works for swimming by pulling the ends together and tucking into the cap. I find it less stressful on my hair and less breakage than a ponytail. and when your hair is wet and dries in a ponytail - thats when you get the most breaking.

2008-03-27 8:04 AM

User image

DC
If you do the ponytail route, headbands are great to keep flyaways out of your face. I like the UnderArmour ones. Plus you'd get that sweet Euro-soccer-player look going on.
2008-03-27 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Ponytail, all the way -see avatar
2008-03-27 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
i've got hair almost long enough to sit on! it wasn't so bad last year, 'cept that it would wrap around me on the run if i had the wind to my back, and that would get GROSS if i was all sweaty (which i almost always was). this year it's just way too long, so i'm gonna have it cut eventually...probably to mid-chest length...(which is short for me!)

i just go with a ponytail for tris (wrap it in a bun around the pony in a swim cap), and for runs, sometimes i do braided pigtails.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies: long hair question Rss Feed