General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water v. Sports Drinks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-27 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Water v. Sports Drinks

I'm finding it hard to word this question in a way that makes sense, but here goes. Is there an advantage to using plain water in addition to sports drinks instead of just sports drinks? When I look at my hydration needs compared to my nutrition needs, if I just use gatorade all the time, that will adequately cover my hydration and nutrition needs and I won't have to worry about carrying water and gatorade - is there some other advantage to taking in water as well?

2008-03-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1297498

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Water v. Sports Drinks

Generally speaking, water is just fine for workouts lasting less than an hour. At that point, you start needing to do something for carbohydrate and electrolute replacement. If you're drinking sports drink during workouts that last less than an hour, you're just ingesting unneeded calories.

2008-03-27 11:56 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

If you are talking about simple off-the-shelf "sports" drinks then you have to remember that these are simple carb based (sucrose, fructose stuff) and your body will only absorb about a 6 to 7% solution of those in a given period.  Remarkably, this is why Gatorade does not really have a high level of carbs.  They figured out that is the dillution that gets absorbed the fastest.

By taking in water AND a sports drink you are dilluting the solution even more which means that the absorption is thinned out and you may not be getting enough carbs in the period of the race/workout (once again assuming a longer workout).  To counter that people will often add gels to the mix, which are usually long chain complex carbs.  These have a longer "release" period for energy and are a more balanced plan for longer distances.

Remember that combining gels and sports drinks can result in too much carbs in the time frame, which often leads to a lot of GI distress.  It is really a balancing act that you have to practice over time and find out what works for you.  Every person is different.

Hope that helps!

2008-03-27 11:59 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
mandy7741 - 2008-03-27 11:45 AM

When I look at my hydration needs compared to my nutrition needs, if I just use gatorade all the time, that will adequately cover my hydration and nutrition needs and I won't have to worry about carrying water and gatorade - is there some other advantage to taking in water as well?

No.

2008-03-27 12:07 PM

Regular
I'm in the same boat. Please be specific when you are referring to "gels", etc. I've heard good things about accelerade, but can not find it anywhere in my town.
2008-03-27 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Yep sorry, I was talking about for longer workouts. I've only been using Gatorade for workouts over 1 1/2 hours. I am not a heavy sweater and so far it seems 20 ounces of fluid and 200 calories per hour is sufficient for my long workouts. So just using Gatorade seems to work good - it leaves me a little short on calories so I throw in a package of sports beans every once in a while too. But I just wash those down with Gatorade because I still don't need the extra fluid! This plan seems to work rather well for me so far - no issues with anything, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

2008-03-27 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
I use gels and gatorade so I carry water as well.  I like having the option if my stomach is filling up or starting to feel sick, that I can just flush it with water.
2008-03-27 12:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-27 12:42 PM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
There was a BTer who did IM(WI?) a couple years ago on nothing but Gatorade.  Maybe a bit extreme, but if it gets you the calories/carbs that you need, there's no reason to bother with anything else.  Simplicity is an advantage.
2008-03-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1297580

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
mandy7741 - 2008-03-27 1:13 PM

Yep sorry, I was talking about for longer workouts. I've only been using Gatorade for workouts over 1 1/2 hours. I am not a heavy sweater and so far it seems 20 ounces of fluid and 200 calories per hour is sufficient for my long workouts. So just using Gatorade seems to work good - it leaves me a little short on calories so I throw in a package of sports beans every once in a while too. But I just wash those down with Gatorade because I still don't need the extra fluid! This plan seems to work rather well for me so far - no issues with anything, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

to be honest, IMHO, you drink and eat a lot during your training rides.

What do you mean "So just using Gatorade seems to work good - it leaves me a little short on calories " . IOW, what do you experience when you are "a little short on cals"?

Those two rides burned less than 2000cals. At the intensity you rode, about half (+ or -) was fat cals. You are eating about 600 cals during the rides.

2h 30m 31.96 miles 12.78 Mi/hr
11:00 a.m. Nice easy trainer ride. Felt pretty good. Drank 40 oz water, 20 oz powerade, ate 1 granola bar and 2 110 calorie pria bars. Had 2 bathroom breaks.

3h 00m 15s 31.88 miles 10.61 Mi/hr
  • ... Had 1 pack sports beans, 2 granola bars (90 calories each), 20 oz gatorade and about 10 oz water. I know it wasn't enough water or calories, but I don't really feel like it affected my performance not having more maybe it was because I kept the effort so easy. .... I already had to pee twice!

• btw - if it works for you then great but having to go the bathroom 2x in less than 3 hrs doesnt seem like it is "working". This was just my initial thoughts while reading your logs.
    2008-03-27 2:28 PM

Master
    McKinney, TX

I used to ride in the past with just a bottle of Gatorade or Accelerade a few times, and every time I tried to run afterwards I would cramp up. Stomach was just sloshing around. Part of it was my stomach not handling the sugar in Gatorade well (not to mention that I hate the taste with the heat of a thousand white suns) or the protein in Accelerade sitting in my gut like a rock. Either way, I had too much "stuff" in my stomach and needed some plain water to wash it down. It was the right amount of calories per hour for me, but it was just sitting there.

On my long rides (2+ hours) and races (Oly or above) I'll have a dirty bottle (nutrition) and a clean bottle (plain water). I have a concentrated, custom Infinit mix that gives me the calories and electrolytes I've found to work for me, then I have plenty of water to keep it moving through me. I rarely have to pee on rides under 3:30, so it seems to be adequate hydration. I also like the simplicity of not having to mix in gels, beans, salt pills, etc. It's really just a balancing act to find the right amount of both.

If Gatorade works for you, hats off to you. If it doesn't, there are lots of other options out there. It may be "on the course" as the ad says, but don't try to force yourself to stomach something if it doesn't work.

Edited by apw0397 2008-03-27 2:29 PM

2008-03-27 4:06 PM

Veteran
    Kentucky
    G-ade does not sit well during the heat for me (acid reflux) and I found if I cut 50% it was ok. Could anyone comment on cutting the G-ade with water 50% then maybe what would you sub in?. a gel pack?
    2008-03-27 4:10 PM

I basically just drink water, unless it's REALLY hot and humid out, which is all of May through September in DC, it seems. Then I will bring along sports drink (heavily diluted) because I tend to dehydrate easily, and plain water does not always help this, for me. I've only ever experimented with this on the bike, though. I mostly ran inside last summer b/c I was NOT in running shape at all. But during the winter, I don't run with water with me, and just leave some in my car and drink it afterwards - no sports drink necessary. The longest I've run is a little over an hour, though.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-03-27 4:11 PM
    2008-03-27 7:05 PM
    in reply to: #1297580

Champion
    MA

mandy7741 - 2008-03-27 1:13 PM Yep sorry, I was talking about for longer workouts. I've only been using Gatorade for workouts over 1 1/2 hours. I am not a heavy sweater and so far it seems 20 ounces of fluid and 200 calories per hour is sufficient for my long workouts. So just using Gatorade seems to work good - it leaves me a little short on calories so I throw in a package of sports beans every once in a while too. But I just wash those down with Gatorade because I still don't need the extra fluid! This plan seems to work rather well for me so far - no issues with anything, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

If you are a heavy sweater drinking 20 oz an hour is not very much.

My suggestion is to calculate your sweat rate to first determine how much you are sweating an hour, see if what you are drinking provides the calories necessary to meet your calorie needs. Check in various weather conditions. Average sweat has 400-600 mg sodium per 16 oz so replacing electrolytes is a concern as well.

http://www.trihardermultisports.com/THM_SwRate.aspx

For a women I sweat a lot...about 45-46 oz/hour on the bike; 55-56 oz/hour run in the summer. Last summer I worked at drinking more running and riding now normally drink 40-46 oz an hour running. If I drank only Gatorade I'd take in way to many calories. 

2008-03-28 12:22 AM
    in reply to: #1298670

Expert
    I think Kathy has got it. Split out your water from your calories from your electrolyte needs. A sweat test can tell you your water needs. Online calculators and experience can tell you your calorie and electrolyte needs. As Kathy also implied, you can train yourself to drink more or take in more calories.

Too many calories and I get that sloshy feeling in my stomach. Too few and I eventually run low on energy and don't recover as well.

You will probably not be able to take in as many calories as the intensity goes up, yet you will probably sweat more, requiring more fluid. This is why your nutrition on the bike will probably be different than your nutrition on the run. It's never too early to start tracking these needs and experimenting with them.

Mike
    2008-03-31 10:29 PM
    in reply to: #1297526

The Natti
    Daremo - 2008-03-27 11:56 AM

If you are talking about simple off-the-shelf "sports" drinks then you have to remember that these are simple carb based (sucrose, fructose stuff) and your body will only absorb about a 6 to 7% solution of those in a given period.  Remarkably, this is why Gatorade does not really have a high level of carbs.  They figured out that is the dillution that gets absorbed the fastest.

By taking in water AND a sports drink you are dilluting the solution even more which means that the absorption is thinned out and you may not be getting enough carbs in the period of the race/workout (once again assuming a longer workout).  To counter that people will often add gels to the mix, which are usually long chain complex carbs.  These have a longer "release" period for energy and are a more balanced plan for longer distances.

Remember that combining gels and sports drinks can result in too much carbs in the time frame, which often leads to a lot of GI distress.  It is really a balancing act that you have to practice over time and find out what works for you.  Every person is different.

Hope that helps!

Great post. How a solution absorbs into your system depends on if it is "isotonic". Meaning that it have an osmolality of less than 300, preferably around 280 (same as your blood). That way it will pass thru your system with no problems.

Having a solution that is too thick (like when you drink sports drink and then add food or gels) can cause serious digestive issues like bloating, gas and other happy things. If you diute your drinks with too much water you reduce the electrolyte and han have similar issues.

It is really hard to make sure that the solution in you stomach is easily digested if you are using food, gels in a haphazard way. That is why many elite athletes generally use all liquids becasue it is easier to guage what you are taking in on race day.

Race day is completly different than training. Stress add tremendous pressure on your systems ability to process nutrition. What works on a long training ride does not always work on your race. You want to make absolutely sure that what ever you use, you have a good plan and that you stick to it.

2008-04-01 9:01 AM

Cycling Guru
    Fulton, MD

Thanks Mike!

Nutrition is one of the most misunderstood and misreperesented things in the sport.  This is not as big of a deal with olympic distance and shorter, but as soon as you start to go long it can be the difference between a bad day, an average one and a great one.

We appreciate having people in the industry coming on and posting solid information that can benefit everyone.  Thanks again!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water v. Sports Drinks Rss Feed