General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons learned from Bike training... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-13 1:15 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Lessons learned from Bike training...
Hopefully, others will add to this thread...

2004-02-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #7212

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Lessons learned from Bike training...

Seat position.

I was having discomfort (including numbness in the groin area - very disconcerting!).
This was the case even with a padded seat and good bike shorts.

I had someone suggest skewing my bike seat just 5 degrees to one side. This small shift is almost unnoticable, but there is a major relief on your anatomy.

Worked for me!

2004-02-13 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
I have felt that before, but not on my current setup. That numbness thing is really, really worrisome. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to start back.

My reply also relates to seat position. The guy at my local bike shop offered to set me up on the trainer and check out the "tuning" of my bike. Adjust the seat position (which I think needs to move back), etc... I haven't been down yet, but I hope to make it next week. I am optimistic that small changes could really improve comfort and performance.
2004-02-14 4:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Concentrate on spinning. If you get it down right there is a lot of energy saved by peddling the proper way. Nice and smooth and follow through with pointing the toes and using your calves too. Helps for me and gives me something to think about besides the pain! Jack
2004-02-14 8:02 AM

Besides seat position, I think getting the entire "bike fit" done for your body and bike. A bike shop that has something like a "bike fit kit" can help with this. Although it won't be the perfect fit that a custom made bike for your body would be, it will help to have as much correct as possible. And if you are thinking of buying a new bike -- definitely have these measurements taken to get you as close to a custom as you can.
2004-02-14 1:11 PM

, Alabama

A drill I like to do to help with my spinning is to do 5 strokes on one leg only and then 5 strokes other leg only.  It takes a bit of practice, but since I'm only doing one leg at a time, I can concentrate better on getting a full circle of the spin instead of just pushing down on a pedal.  A guy in a bike shop told me about it years ago.  It's also good in a long ride if you get tired, the nonstroking leg gets a bit of rest too.  I find I don't really go any slower, because each stroke is more efficient.

Sharon

2004-02-14 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I learned you need to know what you want and go for it. You work hard and intelligently. You always enjoy yourself.
2004-02-14 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
The fewer cars where you bike usually means the better the view. It also means you have more chance to enjoy the view. Pick your route and time when you can have the road more to yourself and the ride goes be faster and more enjoyalbe.
2004-02-15 8:27 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
"stay in the drops" I had a friend who would remind me of this every time we rode together. You ride with much less wind resistance when you are down with a flat back, instead of upright on the top of the handlebar. I still struggle to "stay in the drops."

2004-02-15 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I have always tried to vary my training with different techniques like altered cadences, hill intervals, sprints, etc... However, yesterday was the first time I tried an entire ride with a high cadence the entire ride(100rpm's). My average speed went up and my legs felt much more fresh at the end of the ride(which has got to help for the run segement). Maybe it's just my experience of one, but I'm becoming a believer of higher cadences.
2004-02-16 6:41 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Proper fit, a good seat (not padded), bike properly maintained at all times, inflate tires regularly, maintain a spin, proper cadence, and using all your gears. Also, and for me this is a big one, include hills in all your training rides including, at least once a week, the longest steepest hill you can find in your area, for strength and stamina. And don't just mash your way up those hills, concentrate on keeping a good cadence all the way up and switching to a higher gear or two about 100 meters from the top and sprinting the rest of the way.

2004-02-16 10:48 AM
in reply to: #7311

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Nancytris - 2004-02-14 7:02 AM
Besides seat position, I think getting the entire "bike fit" done for your body and bike. A bike shop that has something like a "bike fit kit" can help with this. Although it won't be the perfect fit that a custom made bike for your body would be, it will help to have as much correct as possible. And if you are thinking of buying a new bike -- definitely have these measurements taken to get you as close to a custom as you can.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what is used to determine bike fit and how it relates to the bike's setup?
2004-02-16 5:00 PM

I looked at my notes from last year's races and found a few tips I had written for myself about the bike leg.

Watch out for glass in the road -- you may not be able totally avoid getting a flat tire, but minimizing the chance is a good thing!

Rehydrate a LOT on the bike -- I use a water bladder (camel back) and drink a lot. This way you are not only replacing some of the water used in the swim, you are hydrating for the upcoming run. In the shorter sprint tris, this could be enough water for the whole time -- with maybe a quick gulp at the water station.

During the race concentrate on only the one person who is directly ahead of you and "aim" for that person to pass. If you can pass that person, look for and aim for the next. This helps to not be overwhelmed by the whole pack of riders out there, it gives you an immediate goal, and if successful gives you a little extra push in motivation!

2004-02-16 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Don't ride in the rain over a pot hole filled road with many rail road tracks. Caution is my maiden name!!

When I learn it, I learn it well!!

Dana
2004-02-16 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Bike fit it soooo important. Even a few miniscule adjustments can make a huge difference. ;-)

2004-02-17 12:33 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
Carry pepper spray to nail the loose dogs with.

Mike

2004-02-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: #7703

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Better yet, don't carry pepper spray and use that stray mutt's attack on you as an incentive to practice your sprints! Remember "Eddy" the training partner in "American Flyer"!
2004-02-18 11:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Here's a trick to get away from the stray dog. When you see him coming at you, slow up a bit. The dog will come from the side and try to angle in and take you from behind. Think National Geographic Channel. Just as he starts to turn into you from behind you turn and yell No! It will hesitate just a bit, and that's when you sprint. He's now behind you and you can get away. If you sprint while he's coming at you from the side, he'll just out angle you and you'll be to tired to out run him. When I lived in Sacto, California, there was a dog that'd play this game with me everyday. Pretty nice having a built in sprint in my training ride.

JD

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons learned from Bike training... Rss Feed