70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race was done in reverse order... Run - Bike - Swim

Kind of a low budget race... no chip timing... no results posted on a website afterwards... i don't know if there was race photography.. i messed up my watch at some point during the race so i only have my overall time of 2:00:28

i had forgotten all about this race until about 4 days before... i didn't decide to do it for sure until the day before.. i didn't train for it... i have NOTHING here in san diego... so i borrowed a bike rack and mtn bike from my brother... i drug my dad out with me to watch the race :)
Event warmup:

got moving late... i really didn't want to get up that morning... i couldn't force myself to eat... it had been over 18 hrs since my last meal... so i was pushing gatorade for some calories.. had to register that morning and pee about 10 times... get my transition area set up... stretched and it was time to race :)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 75 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

LAST LEG OF THE RACE

had to run from the transition area to the other side of campus to the pool... pavement was uneven and broken... there was a fair amount of broken glass in the parking lot... killed my feet.. by this time i wasn't racing mentally... couldn't dive into the pool... had to drop in feet first and swim.. form was pretty bad if i do say so myself... but my shoulders and arms were aching from being tense on the bike.

swim part went realitivly well... i don't know what my time was..
What would you do differently?:

wear my running shoes to the pool... or bring Aquasocks
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

SECOND LEG OF THE RACE :)

as i said... i borrowed my brother's mtn bike.. i had planned to go over switch out the pedals from his platforms to a pair of SPDs and his mud tires to some slicks and throw on a bike computer.. well i got over to the house... it took me 2hrs to find his bike (it had been moved from the garage to a tool shead in the backyard)... then i couldn't find a pedal wrench... the tires were flat and i couldn't find a pump :( so no chaning the pedals or tires and i didn't make it out for a test ride :(

i did get the new cateye mitty installed in less than 10 min :) :)

little brother finally came home at 1am... found out he uses a compressor kit that he keeps in his car... i didn't get the tires changed out at that hour..

so away i went on a 30+ lb mtn bike with platform pedals and nobby mud tires :)

took off got up to a good speed in about three blocks went to shift to the big chain ring... heard click, click, click, click.... *&^%&^%$#@$@@!#$ bike wouldn't shift into the big chain ring... made a left turn and went to climb the hill... dropped to a lower gear everything was ok... climb was getting steep... i reached for the granny gear... same click, click, click... this is gettting annoying!!!... stood on the peddals and made my way up... well at least this is the only hill :)

ok... so i'm stuck in the middle chain ring... as i'm crusing down the hill i start shifting into a bigger gear... then the gears decide to start jumping two gears at a time... at this point i'm worried that ANY gear change will just total the drivetrain :(

well at least the rest of the course was flat... but i was stuck in a gear i DIDN'T want to be in... i still managed to keep a pace above 11 mph :) but i was still pretty mad and not "racing" mentally... my shoulders were getting tense... my left arm was going numb from the elbow down... and my tingly parts were numb... i had to wear my regular running shorts... my bike and tri shorts are in portland..

i forgot to drink anything until mile 6 then i started trying to push gatorade from the camelbak... i wasn't very successful at getting anything into me..

i just hung in there until i saw the transition area...

ummmm... RIDE MY BIKE!! plan better... put at least one test ride on the bike before racing with it... drink, drink, drink... eat the day before and the day of the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

bike to swim transition....

no problems... should of left my shoes on.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

FIRST LEG OF THE RACE

this is the leg i was worried about... all of my runs have been dreadmill runs for the last month or so because of darkness and rain... i know my ankles aren't happy with pavement when i'm not aclimated to it.. waited for the pack to kind of clear off the start line... i hate running in a crowd... somewhere around .75 miles my ankles started killing me and quicky froze..

here is where i get really mad at myself... i slowed down to a nice jogging shuffle and then to a fast walk... i should of never done this... it killed me mentally and i didn't give the race anymore effort from here out...

it was kind of demoralizing that the race leaders were finishing the bike just as i'm leaving for it... all well... there are days like this i guess...

i was sooooooo glad to see the transition area that ment i could get on the bike and pedal my way to bliss!! :)

MORE ROAD RUNNING!!!! don't give up.
Post race
Warm down:

got out of the pool... found my dad... hobbled back to the transition area in bare feet.. dad asked me if i wanted to check out some of the post race stuff... i wasn't in the mood... i was cold and i wanted a long hot shower... i tried to eat an orange... that wasn't going well so dad stopped for a burrito and i got an OJ

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my lack of road running, inability to really eat that much the couple of days prior, fully operational bike, my mental state.

Event comments:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did this race... It showed me how much I need to do to prepare for Hyannis (more road running & mental focus). If i would of pushed just a little harder i would of been under 2hrs :)

I realized the next day that I wasn't sore and that I never even broke a sweat on the course. NOT ENOUGH EFFORT ON MY PART!!!!

The course was fine. It was my STUPID mental blocks that got in the way... LOTS of voulenteers everything seemed well organized and the course was well marked. I would love to do this race again... but i don't think i'll be around at this time of year again.

oh yeah... this was my first TRI... and i finished :) :)

Last updated: 2004-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 75 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 3 laps in a 25 yd pool.. FINALLY DONE!!!!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: pretty much flat... one steep hill that was fairly short..
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-12-16 5:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-12-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: #93438

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Subject: RE: Tinsel Tri
First of all, congratulations on finishing your first tri!!! That is a great accomplishment and it looks like you had to overcome a whole whack of adversity to even get there.
Secondly, your "TINGLY PARTS"?!?! *lol* Sorry, that killed me. Maybe I'm new to the lingo?

Great job, Lara!
2004-12-16 7:30 PM

Expert
Adrian, MI

Glad you got a race in!!  Great report!  BTW, I didn't know this was your FIRST tri!  LOL.  I thought you were a VET!     

Funny.  My first tri was a sprint.  The bike I used was my beat-up Huffy 10 speed that I got for Christmas during my PRE-TEEN years!!  LOL.  No gears whatsoever (all rusted out).

Two sentences caught my eye:  "I realized the next day that I wasn't sore and that I never even broke a sweat on the course. NOT ENOUGH EFFORT ON MY PART!!!!"  AND "It was my STUPID mental blocks that got in the way..."

Hyannis IS possible.  You just have to want it... the same way you want to smoke me in the December challenge. 

2004-12-16 7:44 PM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
OMG!  I did not know that was your first race!!  Great job Lara 
2004-12-16 8:04 PM

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
WAHOO!! YES! YES!....first triathlon....Lara..GREAT JOB! Be proud of you accomplishment, revel in the moment. Doing a first tri is all about just finishing and not getting hurt. Getting a feel for the distance, the competition, improvements and what went well.May this be a first of many! Cheers to you, go girl!!
2004-12-16 8:18 PM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Congrats on finsihing your first Tri! Your report - lol... Keep working and you'll do great at Hyannis.
Cathleen

2004-12-17 12:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Holy Hannah Ms Lara!!!

Congrats on completing your first tri!  And with so many roadblocks in your way. 

Good work woman!  Onwards and Upwards.  Hyannis is yours!  All 13.1 miles of it
2004-12-17 2:17 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice work!  YOU ROCK!
2004-12-17 11:04 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Lara~

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your race report!! Thanks for sharing! Great job!
Loved the description about finding your brother's bike, the tires, changing gears, I'm so laughing!! NOT at you, but with you!! You are a trooper!
You will do GREAT at your next tri I'm sure of it!

Happy Training,
Kristi
2004-12-18 6:53 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

I didn't know it was your first race either!!!

CONGRATULATIONS,    TRIATHLETE!!!

2004-12-18 7:28 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Lara,

Congratulations, you are a triathlete.  Good luck training for your next triathlon.

TJ

2004-12-27 7:26 PM

Long Beach
Congrats on your first Triathlon!!! It was mine, too!!! As for photos, look here: http://www.myraceday.com/race/526/. The results are listed here: http://www.ccuw.org/04tinseltri.htm
2005-01-05 1:10 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on your first tri Lara! Way to pull it all together and do what you had to do in order to participate.

-Frank
2005-01-08 12:06 PM

Expert
New Mexico
Great report and congrats on becoming a triathlete. You earned it.
2005-01-09 9:35 PM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Dang, it sounds like you had to deal with a lot!  I love your dreadmill refference, I have never heard it called that before, that's awesome.  Reverse order is kind of cool and different. Great race, I hope you enjoyed it?

Mark

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tinsel Tri Rss Feed