General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon: Old Shoes / New Shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-08 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: Boston Marathon: Old Shoes / New Shoes?

So . . .

I messed up a bit with the timing of buying trainers again, but this time its thirteen days before the Boston marathon. My Brooks Glycerin 5's have 450 miles on them, but the midsole doesn't seem to have compressed and I haven't felt like they're providing less cushioning, . . .  until today. While I'm still comfortable running in them, I'm worried about what may happen if I hit 500 miles in them on Heartbreak Hill.

I know that shoe-wear is not a science, and that wear and loss of cushioning is gradual. I'm a fairly balanced runner, don't scuff my feet all that much, and have a low stride, so I don't pound. I've heard that shoes can wear out anywhere from 350 - 700 miles, and I usually run in mine for about 500.

I've got 13 days until Boston -- possibly time enough to break in a pair of racers.

Advice? 

2008-04-08 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1324945

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon: Old Shoes / New Shoes?

There is a general rule of thumb about doing it a month before.  I have also heard if you are buying the same model you can "get away with" cutting that down.

I got caught in that predicament  last October although I was closer to 325-350 when I normally replace at 450.  Unfortunately, my model had been discontinued and the new model was a little softer.  Instead of trying to sell me a shoe, the person I spoke with said if the shoes still feel good I would be better off staying with then instead of risking the change so close to the race.

2008-04-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1324977

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

There is no such thing as "breaking in" a shoe anymore.  They do not need the same sort of stretching and adaptations that they used to.

As long as you get in at least one medium, one longish and one faster paced just to make sure there are no hot spots/rubbing then you should be fine.  Better yet, stick with the same model and you can run them brand new on race day.

And you can always find the old shoe somewhere.  I just recently broke down and bought the Saucony Trigon 5's when I'd been running the 3's for years even though they have not been produced for 2 years or so.  I could still find them new from an online place until this last time I ordered.

2008-04-08 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Thanks. I found the same model (last years' glycerin) on sale online. I'll order them tomorrow, and they'll be at my doorstep before raceday for sure.

What I really wanted to do (decided too late) is pick up a pair of lightweight racers. But not trying them out on a long distance run before the race would worry me a bit -- so I think I'll play it safe and go with a new pair of the same model. I did this same thing 3 weeks before my last marathon . . . and then ran my Boston Qualifying time. Maybe its a good luck charm?

2008-04-09 3:52 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Personally, I think it takes exactly ZERO days to break in a new pair of running shoes. Then again, I've used the same model for a couple years now. Without a doubt I would go for the new shoes. With the old ones you stand a chance of developing foot, knee or back pain, while with the new ones, what's the worst scenario? Blisters? I doubt it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon: Old Shoes / New Shoes? Rss Feed