Arthritis Foundation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m
Overall Rank = /15000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wandered about and got freebies. Almost stepped on a pigeon doing a warm up run from the parking lot to the race site. Stupid pigeon wouldn't move! Ate oatmeal and tea for breakfast. Beginning to wonder if tea is a good idea before races. Stomach felt squidgy.
Event warmup:

Ran from parking lot to site about .75 mile away. Almost trod upon a pigeon. Street person laughed at me.
Run
  • 31m
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 12s  min/km
Comments:

It's Sunday...Must be Race Day!
Wow am I tired...but it was a good day.

Got up way too early to go to Seattle and run in the Jingle Bell Run to support the Arthritis Foundation. I love runs where it's just a party the entire time. We got there and there was music, lots of freebies, and lots of people in costumes. When I heard 10,000 people were running, I gave up all hope of hitting a personal best. This weekend there were Jingle Bell Runs going on all over the country, but Seattle has the biggest one.

We parked and decided to warm up by running to the site. We were parked about half a mile away and it was cold with a capital C! We ran down the sidewalk laughing and up ahead of us was a little flock of pigeons. I was running through saying "Scuse me guys...pardon me...scuse me" and this one pigeon was just sauntering out of my way and damned if I didn't almost step on the little bugger! I almost fell down because he would NOT move! A guy coming our way just started laughing and the pigeon flipped me off. I swear! I was given the bird by a bird!

The race started a 9:00 a.m. We were in the Dashers Dashers group which took off second after Rudolphs Runners. We were surrounded by santas, reindeer, snowflakes, ho ho hos, kids, everyone had bells on so it was this nonstop "ching ching ching ching ching". We headed down 5th Avenue, past the Fifth Ave. theater and into the I-90 tunnel. As we passed the Fifth I started singing at the top of my voice, "Jingle Bells! Jingle Bells! Jingle all the way!!" Roy joined me and soon a few others joined us as well. It was SLOW going because of the size of the crowd, but it was fun.

As we entered the tunnel the jingling got louder and as we hit the center of the tunnel the singing started up again. Imagine thousands of people running and singing Jingle Bells all at the same time! It was magical!

Mile 2 came up really quickly! I guess after the 13 miles on the same route a few weeks ago, this run just seemed to fly by. Running is like that for me, though. Time takes on a whole different "shape" or maybe it's shapeless. It doesn't seem to matter...all that seems to matter is the beautiful sights of the people and the mountains and the water. Damn, we live in a beautiful place! Time loses meaning and I never feel like "Wow, I've been running a long time" or "I have a long time to go." I don't know how to explain it. Running is truly the only time when I feel like I can be completely single minded. I can think. I can talk. I can sing. I can just breathe in the beauty and sights around me. But I can't do all those things at once and I love that.

We turned and started back towards the finish line...mile to go. Ahead of us I saw a running snowflake and said to Roy, "Oh man, look at that flake" in a sarcastic tone of voice...for the fifth time. He rolled his eyes and I proclaimed that the flake joke just got better and better with each telling. About five minutes later we came upon a nasty looking hill and I let out a whoop (because I do stupid things like that) and started yelling, "Hill! Hill! We LOVE hills! Hills rock! C'mon Roy! We're GREAT on hills!" I took off and started passing people yelling "Woo Reindeer!" "Go Santa! Get yer groove on!" "No slacking snowflake!" "WOOO!"

Up ahead I saw three women with matching sweatshirts on. On the back of each shirt was the word "HO"...so of course not one to EVER let a corny joke pass I called back to Roy "Look at those ho's up there!" He looked confused, found what I was referring to and rolled his eyes. I faked laughed and said "I kill myself! That's almost as good as the flake joke!"

He didn't agree. Some people have NO sense of humor!

I love passing people on hills. I don't know why. I just do. I passed at least 40 people on the hill, ran up about a block, then turned around to find Roy. I wasn't going to let him cross the finish line without me this time! I found him and grabbed his sweaty gloved hand. We ran in whooping and hollering (and sharing one more "flake" joke...I tell you, it just doesn't get old). We crossed the finish line, holding hands, with a STELLAR time of 42:03! My timer said 30:59, which was probably closer since it took us quite some time to get to the start line. Hmm, maybe they started the timer with the Rudolph's Runners who left 10 minutes before us. Yeah! Okay that makes sense. I knew we hadn't run for 42 minutes!

Time wasn't too bad considering there were times when we were practically walking because of the crowds.

After the race we grabbed some bagels and lots of diet ice and this really good lemon flavored Talking Rain carbonated 3 calorie water. Teams made their way to the costume judging contest and a little girl who looked like a beautiful snow princess with flowing multicolor gauzy scarves and stars in her hair.

Good run!
What would you do differently?:

Start in the first wave. Second wave moved too slowly and too many people started walking too early. I wasn't looking for a PR, but it would have been nice not to have feared running down small children and stupid people on the route, especially after the pigeon incident.
Post race
Warm down:

Bagels and stuff...lots of water...walking around and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 10,000 people in front of me.

Event comments:

A very fun race! I'll definitely make this a holiday tradition.

Last updated: 2004-12-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:00 | 05 kms | 06m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/15000
Performance: Good
Pretty difficult to get up to speed with such a large crowd. Race was more for fun. Clock time was 41 minutes, but the first group left 10 minutes before us, so I'm assuming about 31 minutes.
Course: Hills, tunnels, singing Jingle Bells along the way...your basic beautiful Seattle city run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-12-20 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Jingle Bell Run

2004-12-20 1:41 PM
in reply to: #94469

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Jingle Bell Run
Another Jingle Bell Runner! I always enjoy reading your race reports. And don't worry, I got the "Ho" joke

-Frank
2004-12-20 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Hey! I did the Seattle Jingle Bell Run too! 8-)
2004-12-20 8:23 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Thanks for sharing your race report, sounds like a great time for all!
Yep, I'm with you, give up on doing your best when there are that many people, just relax and have fun!
Great job!
HO, HO, HO....'
Happy Training,
Kristi
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jingle Bell Run Rss Feed