General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible ITB inflammation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-18 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
Subject: Possible ITB inflammation
So after my track meet last night, I started to notice a nagging pain on the upper part of my left hip. Hurt when I was walking today, and hurt when I ran also. I went to the school's trainer, and she said I may have ITB inflammation. It doesn't hurt badly enough to keep me from running (just slows me down) and doesn't hurt at all when I ride, so I figured it wasn't quite "injury" worthy.
I could be wrong though (feel free to let me know if it could be worse than I think).
What's the general consensus on how to heal something like this? I iced last night and today, and am taking ibuprofen to help control inflammation. Is there anything else in particular that you all could suggest?

2008-04-18 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1348476

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Possible ITB inflammation
I am a huge supporter of the foam roller at times like that.  Keep icing, taking the anti-inflamatory and then try rolling the tender muscles on a foam roller.  It has helped me in the past and I think many people would agree.
2008-04-19 1:21 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Yup. Foam roller is IT band magic. 
2008-04-19 5:44 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Hey Cody! Have you taken any Advil or other anti-inflammatory? If so, did it help? Unfortunately if it is ITBS then rest from any activity that aggravates it for a few days is the only thing that will help. The foam roller and ice massage are good as well but your body is telling you it needs rest. If there is an ART (Active Release Technique) therapist in your area I highly recommend them.

Are you sure you didn't strain a muscle during your meet? Did this come on suddenly? I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!!

BTW - Do you bike race as well? You already swim like a fish!  

2008-04-19 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1348607

Champion
South Jersey
How high up on the hip is it? It doesn't necessarily have to be ITB. So, don't get too upset about it. Rest, ice, massage, etc., will all help. And, as Bob said, if you can find an ART or a Rolfer, that would be great. They can get you cured much more quickly than rest, ice, antiflams, and self-massage. Good luck.
2008-04-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1348607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
rstocks3 - 2008-04-19 5:44 AM

Hey Cody! Have you taken any Advil or other anti-inflammatory? If so, did it help? Unfortunately if it is ITBS then rest from any activity that aggravates it for a few days is the only thing that will help. The foam roller and ice massage are good as well but your body is telling you it needs rest. If there is an ART (Active Release Technique) therapist in your area I highly recommend them.

Are you sure you didn't strain a muscle during your meet? Did this come on suddenly? I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!!

BTW - Do you bike race as well? You already swim like a fish!  

Hey thanks, I may swim like a fish, but you swim like a friggin shark!
I took about 400mg of ibuprofen last night and the night before, and it seems to be less painful today than yesterday. It didn't come on too suddenly (noticed it later that night) but I have no real formal knowledge of muscle strains so I'm just going by what the trainer told me for now. I already put off an hour run this morning for it though
If it gets any worse then I'll definately try to find an ART or Rolfer (whatever that is ). Oh and no I haven't competed in any pure bike races before, but I'm doing my first Du in a month!
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-19 6:41 AM

How high up on the hip is it? It doesn't necessarily have to be ITB. So, don't get too upset about it. Rest, ice, massage, etc., will all help. And, as Bob said, if you can find an ART or a Rolfer, that would be great. They can get you cured much more quickly than rest, ice, antiflams, and self-massage. Good luck.

I first started noticing a sharp pain extending from what feels like where the femur connects to the hip, about 3-4 inches down. When the trainer was checking me out none of the stretches she had me doing actually aggrivated pain, it seems to only be when I walk, run, or bend down to pick something up.

Thanks to everybody else for the roller advice, I'll probably look into one of those soon. Even if this doesn't turn out to be ITBS, it could still be useful to have!

2008-04-19 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

The ITB pain can present at your iliac crest (hip) all the way down to your knee (usually, but not always, the outside of the knee).  Mine was the outside of the knee, and I probably did have some hip pain, but ignored it and blamed it on a bad stride from a long run.  I went to a PT who stretched me like Gumby, then did some good glute stretches for a month and foam rolled twice a day.  I shut it down for 30 days, as far as running goes.  After a month, it was gone as fast as it crept up. 

If it persists, I highly recommend seeing a Physical Therapist or an Ortho to centralize the injury and get professional advice.  Something small now may blossom into something more time consuming to heal down the road.  Listen to your body and train smart, and your body will thank you.

Chris

2008-04-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1348530

Regular
crea0029 - 2008-04-19 12:02 AM

I am a huge supporter of the foam roller at times like that.  Keep icing, taking the anti-inflamatory and then try rolling the tender muscles on a foam roller.  It has helped me in the past and I think many people would agree.

What's the foam roller you speak of? I've been unable to run in over a month because of IT band issues. Right now I'll do anything short of voodoo to get rid of the problem...
2008-04-19 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Active Release Therapy! ! ! !   ART is Fantastic! ! ! !   Boy, I could tell you my own success stories with ART.  Go to the website previously mentioned, and find an ART guy near you.  Call to find out his history and experience with ART.  My guy has done wonders. . .   No, One Miracle and many wonders.

2008-04-19 9:55 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Yes, get a foam roller. Yes, get some ART done. The roller may prevent future issues but the ART should work like magic. I have had ITB issues in the past and my sadistic chiropractor can usually clear it up in one or two sessions of ART and Graston. Wicked brusing afterwards but well worth it!
2008-04-20 1:29 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4278_A_CategoryID_E...

Foam roller link. Other people make them too. Perhaps you can find one cheaper.

2008-04-20 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1349455

User image

Houston, TX

Cashmason - 2008-04-20 1:29 AM http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4278_A_CategoryID_E... Foam roller link. Other people make them too. Perhaps you can find one cheaper.

i had the symptoms that matched what the OP described.  the foam roller worked wonders but now that i am on my third one i thought i could offer a review.

the first one i bought was like the one linked in the quote from Cashmason.  thats an open foam white foam roller, they work pretty good for a short while but it doens't take long to wear out and it becomes almost useless. 

i then bought a TP Quadballer.  the thing is so hard its like rolling on a convex shaped wooden rolling pin.  excruciating to roll on, brings tears to your eyes, and i could only barely manage to tolerate.  not fun but it did help.

now i use another foam roller but its one of the blue marble colored ones.  its made of closed foam and is very firm.  doesn't become flattened and rolled out like the white cheaper ones and it was only slightly more expensive, about $30.  with regular rolling i have been able to eliminate the terrible hip (trochnteric bursitis) pain that was being caused by the IT band tightness.

hope thats useful 

2008-04-20 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
Thanks everyone for the experiences, links, and info, it's great to be able to come on here and get all these answers.
I went for a 5 mile run today, and had no pain in my hip at all! Just to be on the safe side I'll continue to ice, stretch, massage, and taken anti-inflammatories for a few more days. If I experience no more pain how long should I expect that to go for until I'm "healed?"
2008-04-20 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1349843

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

sharp4850 - 2008-04-20 2:37 PM Thanks everyone for the experiences, links, and info, it's great to be able to come on here and get all these answers. I went for a 5 mile run today, and had no pain in my hip at all! Just to be on the safe side I'll continue to ice, stretch, massage, and taken anti-inflammatories for a few more days. If I experience no more pain how long should I expect that to go for until I'm "healed?"

If you feel no more pain when you are running I would say you are healed!! At the first sign of pain I would take a few days off, in the mean time keep up with the ice baths and stretching as preventative!! 

2008-04-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1349631

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
x2 on the blue or green marble roller. They hold up well and have just enough give to make it almost bearable...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible ITB inflammation Rss Feed