General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Run LTHR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-25 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: Bike and Run LTHR
Hey everyone, so I finally got around to doing a 30 min TT on the trainer to estimate my LTHR. I would like to do the same thing for my run LTHR but that is probably not a good idea when I'm rehabbing a knee injury. So my question is, for those of you that have measured/estimated your LTHR for both the bike and the run, what was the difference? I've heard 5-10 bpm, and I assume the difference is different for everyone, but I figure if I take the average of what people tell me that is probably a good starting point. Thanks!

2004-12-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: #96060

Regular
Subject: RE: Bike and Run LTHR
They will probably be different, but the real number depends on the person and how experienced they are in each sport. I think it is definitely smart to wait until that knee is better before you start beating on it :^). If you are like most triathletes, 5-10 beats less for a bike LTHR is probably in the ballpark. I would not train on that basis, though. I would wait till the knee is better, do the test and find out the number. ( I would actually figure out your pace, and use that to plan workouts, though, rather than just HR).

Just so you know, the numbers you get from a 30 min TT are probably going to be higher than what you would get from a 60 minute TT, which would probably be a better guesstimate of you threshold heart rate/speed. Just remember that what you are measuring is really your "threshold pace" or "threshold HR", and will actually be higher/faster than the speed or HR you would measure in a formal LT test where you had blood drawn, etc. It isn't a big deal, I just think people should know the whole story.

Also remember that speed/power output/pace, are all usually a bit better than relying on just your heart rate. Your heart rate can change depending on lots of things. However, heart rate is easier to use if you #1 don't have a GPS thingie to run with or #2 don't have a measured course or track to work out on. Hr usually works ok, though.

Phil

Edited by PhysFarm 2004-12-27 9:03 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Run LTHR Rss Feed