General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons learned in transitioning... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2004-02-16 11:41 AM

Subject: Lessons learned in transitioning...

Following dhyte's great threads ... hopefully you will add to this one...

2004-02-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #7562

Subject: RE: Lessons learned in transitioning...
One thing that I learned works well for me is to cyclce with no socks -- it is hard to get the feet totally dry and makes putting on socks a bit harder for me. I have talc in my cycling shoes which helps dry the feet. T2 -- I have talc in running shoes AND in my socks and it is much easier by then to get socks on. I also cycle without gloves for the short sprint Tris I do.
2004-02-16 11:46 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
great idea Nancy. Ok, here's a couple of things I have learned.

1. if it's a long race like a 1/2 IM or something, keep your running shoes protected somehow while you're out on the bike. This thunderstorm came out of nowhere and drenched me on the bike but worse was my wet shoes back at the transition area. That was during my DNF. No way I could put those on and run 13 miles Lesson learned: shoes stay in a plastic bag.

2. PRACTICE the transition! it can be a hard thing to think your way thru when the adrenaline is racing. I once ran out of the transition area with my helmet still on my head!

2004-02-16 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
OK, I have a couple of questions about transitions...

I think I could handle practicing T2 at home, just set out the stuff for the run on the porch, and quickly go through it after a bike workout. How do you guys practice T1? Set stuff at the pool and get your bike shoes on and run out the door?

More importantly, I suppose that someone makes a bag that has two distinct, but equal sides to it. One for T1 and one for T2. Can anyone tell me their experience with these bags, and who makes them, etc?

A thousand thanks...

2004-02-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: #7595

User image

Resident Matriarch
hiya Phil,

let's see....as to your first question, I guess you could just practice getting out of the pool and into biking gear. But if you want to be moe realistic and have a place to swim outside, do that. During the summer I ride my bike to a local pond, swim a while, then get out and do some biking.

As for a tri bag, DeSoto has a great one and there are other brands. I don't know that you want to split your gear up by T1 or T2, I just keep the wet stuff away from the dry. My DeSoto has a separate compartment on the bottom for running shoes or a wetsuit, but I don't know if the updated version is any different.

hope that helps.

2004-02-16 4:42 PM

I agree with Ellen -- the BEST way to practice T1 is from an open water swim. However, I didn't swim in open water nearly enough last year, and did need some T practice, I simply set up my transition area for both the bike and run -- trying to set it up the same as I would in the transition area for the Tri.

Then I did a "dry run". I put on my swimsuit & jog bra, my goggles & cap and my wet suit. I went across the room -- or garage and "pretended" the rest -- like that I was exiting the swim, taking off my goggles & cap, unzipping the wet suit on the way, then got into the next round of gear. Did the same thing after that for the run. I know this is not perfect -- the wetsuit is not wet, the feet are not wet, the distance to the area is not the samee. But I was not looking for timing all of that stuff -- I wanted to lay out my gear in a way that would make sense when I got there, be in the most advantageous spot, and not forget anything. -- where should the helpmet be, the sunglasses, the water bladder, etc., etc.. And where do I toss or put the wetsuit... etc.

Hope this makes sense.

2004-02-16 5:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

To practice T1 you could take a shower first, though running through the house wet may not be the best idea. Or hose off in the yard to get yourself wet.

JD

2004-02-16 8:03 PM
in reply to: #7624

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Many books etc. recommend that you place your gear on a towel in the transition area. Never assume that your neatly laid out items on a towel will stay put. After finding my stuff all over the place one time, I use a bag to store my stuff. The extra time was less than trying to find scattered gear.

JB
2004-02-16 11:08 PM
in reply to: #7651

, Alabama

I try to need as little as possible in the transition area.  The helmet stays in the aero bars with sunglasses.  If the distance is oly or longer, I keep my camelbak hanging on the bike (less likely to get stepped on by me or another competitor) and my bike shoes stay clipped in the pedals (takes practice.  I put my feet in them while riding).  So actually the only thing that I will still need after the swim that's still on the ground are my shoes.  Anything else I'll deal with afterwards.

Sharon

2004-02-17 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Sharon, you don't wear socks during the bike? What type of bike shoes do you wear, and is there a "distance limit" to how long you can ride with no socks?

2004-02-17 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
I practiced the T1 at the gym which makes for a funny sight watching me trying to run through the gym to my bike without slipping onto my head while wearing my bike shoes.

2004-02-17 5:15 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Let me chime in on the sock thing. I have never worn socks on a ride.At least not since I went to cycling shoes. I have riden over 192 miles in 2 days with no foot problems ( the rest of the body is a different story)8). A good pair of cycling shoes do not have foot movement to speak of . The shoe can not flex and the only thing to move is the ankle. Mind you these are in road/racing shoes. I can not speek for those wearing MTB shoes.

Joe

2004-02-17 8:54 PM
in reply to: #7753

, Alabama

Yes, Phil.  I do wear socks on the bike.  I know I should learn how to do it without, but I can't bring myself to do shoes without socks.  Unfortunately, I'm not as young as I used to be and I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on, and forgot to mention them in my last post.  Hence the need to keep transition things to a minimum!  I put my socks in the shoes, with the tops sticking out so they  won't be as likely to get kicked or blown away, and they're a little easier to grab since they aren't actually on the ground.

Sharon

2004-02-18 12:41 AM

I just can't get used to the no socks thing, so I'll be stuck with a slow T1 as I struggle to put on socks on wet feet. Someone told me to try rolling up the socks so that you just stick your toes in the front and then roll it up your foot. I'll have to give that a try. Do people wear gloves during the bike?
2004-02-18 2:19 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I've praticed the transitions in my mock tris and learned a lot from just two runs. I plan on another practice next week. I need to get a wetsuit to practice with wriggling quickly out of it. That should be fun. For the bike I wear socks and wrestle with them every time, rolling them up does help. I also wear gel gloves (they help w/ the sweat off my forehead) and plan to pull my bike shorts over my swinsuit. Visulazing the transitions before I get to them has seemed to help a little with the order of attack and coutning things to not forget something. "I know I have 5 things, did I do all 5?" Then boogie.

Does anyone wear aqua socks, are lake swims tough on the feet with the murky bottoms and all? And how far are the transitions? Beach to bike mainly (gravel, sand, paved?) Do I have to toughen my feet up by running around the park barefoot?

2004-02-18 10:42 AM

It wouldn't hurt to toughen up your feet -- a Tri friend of mine does that regularly.

In the few Tris I've dne, I had no problem without aqua socks, but did see a few (very few) people use them. My exits were fortunately on sand or grass, then the parking lot, which was the worst on the feet but still not all that bad. I do intend to walk around barefoot a little more this year pre-races.

2004-02-18 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
heh-heh. I don't have to worry about tough feet. I *never* wear shoes unless I have to. If I am not training on a weekend, there are some weekend days that I can go the entire day without shoes!

That being said, I have never cycled for more than about an hour and a half or so at a time, and always with socks. I guess I could try it without socks and see if any blisters develop. That is my fear: blisters. They are always in just the wrong spot, you know?

The next thing on my list to buy is a pair of road shoes. I have a pair of MTB shoes, but they are a 48 and I am realizing that I need a 49. To my knowledge, only Sidi makes a 49, so I am on a quest. It sometimes stinks to have big, big feet.

2004-02-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: #7875

User image

Resident Matriarch
that's too funny, I do the same thing! And I leave my helmet turned over with my sunglasses in it. Of course there are always times when the glasses are over on the ground near someone elses stuff......
2004-02-18 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I like the idea of leaving my shoes clipped in and slipping them on during the ride. However, do you take the time to put socks on for the run or do you go barefoot the entire race? Barefoot in road shoes I can handle, barefoot running seems potentially disatrous.
2004-02-18 5:15 PM
in reply to: #7943

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-02-18 5:34 PM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
my only piece of advice for transitions (being a newbie and all) would be that putting on a sports bra when you're still damp from the swim is verrrrrrrrrry difficult. Next mock tri I do I'm going to try the suggestions I got from the board....wearing it under my suit/investing in a tri suit so I can alleviate that step.

n

2004-02-18 5:49 PM

I do put on socks for the run, but by then my feet are dry (and any debris has been knocked off) and socks are easier to put on. I have not gotten any blisters from riding without socks. You may want to try it before a race. I was quite surpised when I found how well this worked.
2004-02-18 11:18 PM
in reply to: #8036

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
"It sometimes stinks to have big, big feet."

Ain't that the truth. My husband wears a 50. If you find someone who makes bike shoes that big, please let me know! There's a site called something like bigshoes.com, but I haven't bothered to look for it because the ad I heard sounded more like formal shoes.

Also, re: riding and running without socks, I've tried both of these. Riding without socks was no problem, so I got cocky and decided to try doing the run sockless as well. When I met my husband at the finish line he said, "What's that on your shoes?" I looked down and saw brown stains on the toes of my shoes and wondered what I'd stepped in, but of course it was - you guessed it - blood. Nasty. I've known people who've toughened up their feet enough to run sockless, but that will not be me any time soon.

My other advice would be to have 2 of everything you possibly can. Someone always needs to borrow something, or something breaks, etc.

Edited by CLLinIA 2004-02-18 11:23 PM
2004-02-19 1:22 AM

Canberra, Australia
if you havent already invest in a pair of speed laces, makes putting on ur running shoes much faster.
on the bike i wear road shoes and leave them clipped in and take the laces out and just use the straps. for people that do this how far out of T2 do you come out of ur shoes? i find it quite difficult to ride "on top" of my shoes, thinking it may be worth it to just do it at transition, but i see all the pros on TV do it about 500m out of t2?
2004-02-19 10:52 AM

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Check out performancebike.com. They sell Sidi bike shoes up to size 51 or 52, I believe. Schimano only makes a 48, and that is too freakin' small.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons learned in transitioning... Rss Feed  

of 1