General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashland Rockbuster Offroad Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ashland Rockbuster Offroad Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ashland, Massachusetts
United States
Firm
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 05m 2s
Overall Rank = 49/80
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Drank a pot of coffee and got to the race with plenty of time to spare. 9:00am is early for a race in April. And chilly.
Event warmup:

I tried to jog around a bit, but the race was running late, and didn't look like starting anytime soon. And it was raining. So mostly I stood under a tree and shivered. Someone made fun of my hat.
Run
  • 13m 30s
  • 1.8 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The run starts on a hill, and I immediately started breathing heavy. Normally I pace myself well, and I was not happy to be struggling a minute into the run. Eventually I settled into a good pace and felt strong.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a little more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The splits weren't timed, so I'm not sure how much time I hung out in transition. Seemed okay, though.
Bike
  • 35m 37s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 9.27 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike wasn't so pretty. The course was three loops of of the park, and on the first loop, I found myself PUSHING the bike up not one, but TWO hills. I was blaming my poor performance on my handling skills, but I realized I was breathing really hard the entire loop, and my heart was racing. Not looking good.

On the second loop, my chain jumps and gets jammed in where the pedals meet the bike. I pull it off the trail and attempt to fix it, but have some difficulty. . . so a lot goes through my head, such, wow, I can't get the chain out . . .this will be my first DNF. Should I DNF? I could run the bike instead . . . I don't want to do that, it would take forever. . . keep working on it . . . there are only a few ladies here, if you fix it and move on, you'll probably still come in third in your AG, which puts you in for the draw of a free wetsuit . . . . and a medal . . . you want a medal, don't you?? . . . .

So probably five to ten minutes or so later, I yank the chain out. And am off. Still breathing way too heaving for the race, though. I feel like I train too hard to be this out a shape.

Ride a well maintained bike and practice mountain biking handling skills. Check to make sure I put my front tire on properly.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, decent transition. Wish I knew how much time I spent here.

Remember how I hung my bike on the rack, so I don't struggle with it on my return.
Run
  • 15m 35s
  • 1.8 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The second loop was harder than I expected for race that I didn't think would last over an hour. I started wheezing heavily on the last stretch. I eventually caught up to the girl who I had been competing with the whole race (who also had mechanical issues on the trail), but not enough to beat her across the line. At least she wasn't in my AG.

Bring an inhaler.
Post race
Warm down:

The race had mechanics willing to help out on site, so I brought my bike over to see if one can help me eliminate any future 'chain suck' problems. He said that was really a skills issue, but, uh, do you know that you don't have a lot a gears? This I knew. Well, I knew I had a problem downshifting, but I didn't realize how many gears I couldn't get into. This may help explain not making it up the hills (but not fully). I apparently need a new shifter, and oh, a rear tire brake. And then the mechanic discovered that I didn't really put my front tire on. Huh. Probably should have checked that. Now I'm just thankful I didn't kill myself.

I then learn that not only did I place in my AG, I actually came in first. Ok, fine, there were just two of us in the AG, but it still fun to get the medal and prize--in this case, it was a canister of Heed. I like Heed, I think it tastes like crushed up smarties.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:30 | 01.8 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 42/80
Performance: Average
Course: Runnable trails, with one long hill and one stream, which was only slightly too wide for me to jump over.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:37 | 05.5 miles | 9.27 mile/hr
Overall: 59/80
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Three loops of mostly wide single track, with a few steep hills.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:35 | 01.8 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 32/80
Performance:
Course: Same loop as the first, although the timing includes transition. I wish I knew what the real split was, though, so I can compare the first and second leg.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes