General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for half marathon while training for olympic question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-01 12:41 PM

User image

NYC, NY
Subject: training for half marathon while training for olympic question

I have been training for my third olympic event at the end of the month. So I can run a 10k already. I have my first half marathon planned on june 11th. How do I go about training for both while getting in the running distance needed to do the 1/2 marathon?I just want to complete it, it does not have to be a fast race. Going to run with a friend at 10:30-11 mm

My current schedule:

mon-swim

tues-yoga/strech

weds-run (hour)

thurs- rest

fri-swim

sat: bike

sun:run (hour)

(sat/sun can be flip flopped)

Any help would be greatly apprecaiated!

Edited by Trigrl 2008-05-01 12:42 PM

2008-05-01 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1375465

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
Subject: RE: training for half marathon while training for olympic question
I personally don't take days off of SBR training if I can. I'm in no way good enough to run a half mary yet, but if you add an extra run day per week, you can probably handle it if you follow the 10% rule.
2008-05-01 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
run on monday and thursday and make the sunday run 10miles. Throw in one 15 mile run 2 weeks before race.
2008-05-01 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Trigrl - 2008-05-01 1:41 PM

I have been training for my third olympic event at the end of the month. So I can run a 10k already. I have my first half marathon planned on june 11th. How do I go about training for both while getting in the running distance needed to do the 1/2 marathon?I just want to complete it, it does not have to be a fast race. Going to run with a friend at 10:30-11 mm

My current schedule:

mon-swim

tues-yoga/strech

weds-run (hour)

thurs- rest

fri-swim

sat: bike

sun:run (hour)

(sat/sun can be flip flopped)

Any help would be greatly apprecaiated!

1st, I would recommend stopping the yoag/strech day. It maybe important to you, but honestly, its not going to help your S/B/R as much as doing one or the other. Next, cut the off days. (at least cut one of them). Whatever you do, I think you should run more.

Not knowing anything about you or fitness level(it would be nice to be able to see your logs since you are asking for trianing advice...), think about this schedule.

Monday - swim
Tuesday - tempo run 1 mile warm up/cool down, 6 miles @ 1/2 mary pace to 1/2 mary pace minus 10~15 secs)
Weds - easy 30-45 min run
Thur - swim
Friday - tempo run(same as Tuesday)
Sat - bike/run brick(run should be 30-45min easy)
Sunday - LSD working up to 12 to 15 miles.

Here is a 1/2 mary planned that I followed. I did all the runs and then did S/B on optional or off days.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,0...

2008-05-01 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

How are you getting by on only one bike per week and two runs?

Imho, you need to run at least 3 times a week and bike at least 2-3 times. Make your rest day a swim only day.

Long runs: start wtih your current long distance and do not add more than 10% per week. Trust me on this. Also, try to keep a non-running day inbetween your run days, with the exception being a short run as in a brick.  Just to finish the half mary you need to be able to do at least 10 miles. To be able to do your best, you need to be able to do above the distance of the race.

Good luck!

2008-05-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1375751

SuzanneS - 2008-05-01 2:40 PM

Imho, you need to run at least 3 times a week and bike at least 2-3 times. Make your rest day a swim only day.

Long runs: start wtih your current long distance and do not add more than 10% per week. Trust me on this. Also, try to keep a non-running day inbetween your run days, with the exception being a short run as in a brick.  Just to finish the half mary you need to be able to do at least 10 miles. To be able to do your best, you need to be able to do above the distance of the race.

Good luck!

That was my thinking. And before anyone says that I'm calling the kettle black, I biked more than once a week last summer when I was training for my first race. And I SUCK because I still don't bike enough, so let me at least pass on some knowledge so that the OP will not suck as much as I do.

You should definitely be biking more than once a week, probably more than twice a week, esp. for an Oly. It's not a half-iron, but it's still a good distance on the bike to do in a respectable time.

2008-05-01 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
SuzanneS - 2008-05-01 11:40 AM

Good luck!

Yup...exactly right, IMO.

My wife is doing pretty much the same thing now: Training for a 12K run in a couple weeks, followed by her first Oly, followed by her first 1/2-mary. So we're working out the same sort of training plan for her. The long runs are the key: Keeping in mind the 10% increase-limit rule of thumb, plot out how you're going to get to a minimum of a 10 mile run no later than two weeks before the 1/2 mary. That's a bare minimum, get-through-the-race, strategy...in my wife's case, she'll have done multiple runs of at least 12 miles betw. 6 and 2 weeks out. Then, for the Oly, make sure the other weekend day includes appropriate long rides. During the week, if you run twice, bike twice, swim once or twice, you'll get by in the Oly. That's my two cents...
2008-05-01 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
SuzanneS - 2008-05-01 2:40 PM

Good luck!

+1

Increase your long runs by no more than 10% (injury prevention rule!) and add in another run in the week - maybe after swim or as a brick onto a bike.

I have found that time in teh saddle on the bike and time in the pool for swimming has helped my running tremendously, and I am a habitual half marathoner (12 down so far).

Good luck! 

2008-05-01 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'll second and third what others have said. You're most likely going to need to add in at least one more day of running to be ready for your half mary. I trained from mid-January through mid-March for both a half mary and a Sprint tri.

Basically, I just took one the tri plans this site offers, adjusted it to fit my schedule and increased the length of the run sessions. By following the 10% rule and making sure I was giving myself long enough to log in at least one 12 mile run without too big a weekly jump in volume, I managed to train for the Sprint and set a PB in the half mary. You can look at my blogs to see what I did and how it worked...and if you do, I'd suggest doing two things differently. I actually wish I'd done one extra recover run per week (something short and easy) and I'd have worked to keep my long run at a lower percentage of my total volume...

And FYI, after my half mary I've done the same thing to prep for my first full mary which is on Sunday. It made for some tough weeks but no one ever said that triathlon training or marathon training was easy, right?

Good luck and hope the training goes well!

--Chris
2008-05-01 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I'd say you need to work up to a long run of 11-12 miles. If you're just looking to enjoy race-day with a friend, that should be sufficient.  Don't worry about getting in two 15 milers.  You wouldn't run 28miles a couple times before a marathon, would you?

if you're relatively new to all this, be careful. i've been guilty of breaking the 10% rule, and I've paid for each time.

have fun training, and good luck!

~B

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for half marathon while training for olympic question Rss Feed