General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How quickly it goes, how slowly it comes back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-05 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: How quickly it goes, how slowly it comes back

So I haven't been around too much lately over the past couple of months as life has just plain simply gotten in the way of things. After finally recovering from my ITB issues and starting to run more, I got hit with the flu in January or so. This wouldn't have been so bad had it not gone from the flu to bronchitis which put me out for almost a month. In there also I was forced to change jobs and well I finally got back to training a few weeks ago. It is amazing how much better I feel now that I am able to get back out there and just how much happier I am in general.

The thing I did notice is how fast you lose your conditioning! I know I was out of training for about 6 weeks or so but I really didn't think I would lose that much! Used to be able to easily maintain 17-18mph on the bike in the Z2 to Z3 range. Staring out I couldn't even keep in in Z3 and the speeds where really slow. Same thing for the run, at the beginning I couldn't keep my HR in Z2 for anything and I was back to walking a lot just to keep the HR down.

Flash forward a couple of week though and things are improving steadily. My run on Sunday, which was my first brick of the season, was fantastic. Not extremely fast or even close to my old pace, but I didn't have any real issues keeping the HR down except on the hills, but that is to be expected. The bike on Saturday was the longest ride I have ever completed both in time and in distance and it too felt great. It was windy as all get out and I had to fight a lot to keep the bike on the road, but over all it was a great weekend.

My wife said something to me on Saturday night while we where discussing our weekend plans with some friends. I mentioned that on Sunday I had a 30 minute bike ride, followed by a 70 minute run. She chuckled and said "Good luck with that, I struggle to get through my 9 minutes of running 3x3 minutes and walking in between". This really put things into perspective for me. I won't lie that I had been feeling down about the loss of conditioning (even though I expected it) and I was just not happy with having to basically start over again this spring with my training. She has been using the couch to 5k plan to get herself ready to run a 5k later this summer and I see her progressing steadily each week. Her comment though made me realize that the majority of folks are even worse than her, let alone able to run 3, 5, 7 miles at a time. I am not beating myself up so much now and I am just greateful to be able to be out there running, biking and swimming and enjoying it again.

2008-05-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1381830

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Subject: RE: How quickly it goes, how slowly it comes back
Eric,
how long did you battle w/ your ITBS? I'm on my 3rd month now with a "little" improvement. I've been going to PT, stretching, strengthening, ibuprofen, etc. I'm up to 3 miles now (after running a marathon in February!).
Also, did the bike affect your ITBS at all?
thanks and congrats on getting over it.
2008-05-05 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
Well it looks like you have your motivation in order, and that is half the battle.  When you keep things in perspective, yeah, us triathletes really are a fit bunch, but we also tend to be a bit hard on ourselves.  Keep up the consistency in training and it will eventually fall into place.
2008-05-05 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I had surgery in October and didn't run or swim for 6 weeks..biked easy at about 2.5-3 weeks.

It took me 4 months to get back to where I was running. Swimming was amazing..I couldn't get my groove back for about a month I was just out of swim shape. Cycling came back faster. Now 6.5 months after surgery I'm at where I was pace wise at peak of last season.

I was so discouraged at first but kept plugging along. Your body probably enjoyed some down time. 

My coach shared that we lose fitness at varying rate depending how long we have been training..short you have been doing this the faster you lose it. 

2008-05-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1381874

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nole Runner - 2008-05-05 10:46 AM Eric, how long did you battle w/ your ITBS? I'm on my 3rd month now with a "little" improvement. I've been going to PT, stretching, strengthening, ibuprofen, etc. I'm up to 3 miles now (after running a marathon in February!). Also, did the bike affect your ITBS at all? thanks and congrats on getting over it.

Well I am not sure that I am "over it" to be honest, but I haven't had any issues yet. (knock on wood) The longest I have run so far was yesterday's run and it was just shy of 7 miles. I started seeing at PT I think back in December and I tried to get some short running started back in January I think. Mine was not severe by any means and really what it came down to for me was that I really needed to spend more time stretching and doing the proper stretches. I still don't stretch nearly as much as I probably should, but I do try to spend time on my IT Band and I try to spend a few times per week on my foam roller. That helps me more than the stretches I think and tends to be what I use the most of. It's pretty easy to lay on the living room floor and use it while watching tv.

I hope you get back soon. Just take it slow and easy.

I forgot about the biking part...biking didn't seem to bother it at all, but I am a whimp and it was winter here. I didn't have a trainer at the time so I wasn't biking much, but I did get a trainer back in January or February and used it some.

Edited by EABonney 2008-05-05 10:14 AM
2008-05-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1381904

User image

Extreme Veteran

pinktrigal - 2008-05-05 10:55 AM Well it looks like you have your motivation in order, and that is half the battle.  When you keep things in perspective, yeah, us triathletes really are a fit bunch, but we also tend to be a bit hard on ourselves.  Keep up the consistency in training and it will eventually fall into place.

Yea we are a bit hard on ourselves aren't we. Btw...umm is that an assult rifle in your avatar! Holy schnickies...I won't be getting you upset anytime soon! :D

2008-05-05 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1381972

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
EABonney - 2008-05-05 11:12 AM

pinktrigal - 2008-05-05 10:55 AM Well it looks like you have your motivation in order, and that is half the battle.  When you keep things in perspective, yeah, us triathletes really are a fit bunch, but we also tend to be a bit hard on ourselves.  Keep up the consistency in training and it will eventually fall into place.

Yea we are a bit hard on ourselves aren't we. Btw...umm is that an assult rifle in your avatar! Holy schnickies...I won't be getting you upset anytime soon! :D

Hijack on - yes sniper rifle.  But don't worry, I'm really nice despite what I look like in my avi

2008-05-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1381989

User image

Expert
Yup time off sucks, sucks and sucks some more. I just had to stop everything for ONLY two weeks and on my first couple of runs my hr was much higher than befor I stopped. Maybe the medication I'm on has something to do with it. The 5 mile run felt like 10, the training gods think its funny to punish people that are down ond out!
2008-05-05 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Eric, I'm in the same boat and feel your "pain"!  I want to go for a 5+ mile run with my wife but can do just yet.  I have a Sprint in 4 weeks that's giving me a goal, strictly a C race.  We just have to take it one workout at a time and like you said "enjoy it again".

2008-05-05 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1383256

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I feel your pain, literally. I had almost identical story of ITBS and then FLU. This started 10 weeks ago and had not been running at all after avg about 25 miles a week. Tried last night again after 2-3 unsussful pain-free runs and was so eager to get back out there that I over did it and I only went 2.5 miles! Tried to run through slight ITBS pain and ended up on couch with ice and plently of regrets. Great to hear you are up to 7 miles. Time off is very humbling, but definately gives you different perspective.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How quickly it goes, how slowly it comes back Rss Feed