General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Perris SRA, California
United States
SAW Sports Productions
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 23s
Overall Rank = 18/23
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Major Disclaimer!!!

This is going to be a hard (and long) race report to write. I am very unhappy with my performance. I do have to write it so please feel free to skip any/all parts, I won't be offended.

Couldn't sleep very well. Woke up at 2am! Had been binge sleeping all week knowing that I wouldn't sleep well the night before.

So I left my house super early, park opened
Event warmup:

Got the to the race site way early so I grabbed some coffee and fig newtons at a gas staton.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Lap 1
Who thought it was a good idea to put all the women, clydes, military and relay in one wave?! Pretty rought for the first lap, kept getting a bit off course.

Lap 2
thinned out a lot, as about 2/3s of the athletes were in the sprint race and only swimming one lap. Felt really alone out for a bit, finally found someone to draft off of for awhile. He kept getting off course and I would notice, correct then he would notiice and run into me, then I'd get back in behind him and go back to drafting. Not a very good swim and started getting really rought from boat wakes near the end. Didn't feel in the swim groove until it was almost over.
What would you do differently?:

Start in a different location. Sight more to start with. Not suck at swimming.
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

Long azz run up the sand to transition. Waterdogg said he clocked it as .25 mile. I got out of the water, hit the mat and ran all out to my bike. In previous races I had sucked at transitions so all week I had been visualizing a good T1 and praticing. I nailed it. My T1 was flawless....kinda (see bike)

Not run up the beach as fast as I did.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I get out of the transition area feeling really good, HR is high from a run up the sand. I run up to the mount line, swing my leg over my bike and almost puke. My world felt like it was tunred upside down. I was standing there straddling my bike trying to not fall over. I hear "on your left" and I just stood still, as soon as I was passed I looked over my shoulder, see that Im clean and get the heck out of the way. I realized there is NO way I can saefly ride my bike I am so dizzy. I think about ChrisM and what he went thru at IM AZ. I start to panic and consider pulling myself out of the race. So much for a blazing fast T1. I took a deep breath, tried to calm down and mount my bike again. Just swinging my leg over is hard to do without falling over. Okay, m ore brething finally on the third try I am ok I get on my bike clip in and off I go. I look down my HR is 160! Fantastic, my race plan was to keep my HR at 140 or below on the bike. I take it out easy and after two minutes it's still at 160 but my percieved effort feels easy. Ok, fine if thats how it's gonne be, thats how it's gonna be...Put it in the big ring and hammer out of the Park on to the main road. Passed a lot of people doing the sprint, up the little climb and hammered it at 35+mph back down and finished lap 1 with an average speed of 17.1 mph HR never got below 150. Very odd since my LT is about 148 on the bike.

At the start of lap two I find myslef entirely alone out there. Totally alone! Kinda hard to stay in the feel of racing and not turn it into a training ride not seeing ANYONE out there. But I usually ride pretty hard on my training rides so it's no so bad. I feel like I am DFL :( I get out of the park and back on the main road, there is a lot more traffic but the cops are totally holding traffic up at all the big intersections until I pass. This totally makes me feel like a rockstar and I make sure to hammer thru them and hollar "THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!" To the awesome cops out there. Seriously, this was the highligt of my day. If I could get these guys to hold up traffic on my training rides. My HR has come down a little but not nealy as much as it should have, HR was about 10-15 BMP higher than percieved effort. Very odd. I'll chalk it up to a terrible swim and a bad run to T1 and general suckage.

Not race by HR. Er, I guess I didnt! ;)
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Come back to T2 and it is almost empty...WTF!? I see someone a rack over packing up their stuff "please tell me you did the sprint" They did and they were so sweet "you're doing great" I said "I can smell the BBQ I don't want to run I want to eat" they laughed. As with T1 I had spent a lot of time visualized and rehearsing T2. Went ok. Had some more balance issues putting socks on.

not freak out over the T area being empty
Run
  • 1h 09m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I suck at running. I suck so bad. It's not even funny. The first mile was ok saw Tim and that was awesome. He caught me off gaurd tho :) I was deep in thought about how much suckitude I posess.

This was terrible and awful. I got very upset thinking how I have a HIM in 10 weeks. Thought seroiusly about withdraing for it and thinking about how much $$$ I would lose in race fees and hotels. I can't even run a decent 10k after a 25 mile bike ride, I have no business doing a HIM. Who am I kidding, I can't run a decent OPEN 10k.... It hurt and I was suffering and fighting off crying. When I hit the dam I mentally checked out and just fell into my training pace. Which is slowwwwwwwwwww. I just kinda zoned out and was looking at the water and feeling peaceful. At least I no longer wanted to die, I was just getting it done. I hit the turn around and told myself I would pick it up for the last 2 miles. I tried but the teeny tiny rollers were killing me. Two women passed me and I made a sad atempt to hold them off. I was able to run the last .1 mile and finish strong or fake it anyway.

Not mentally fall apart. Even still, I probably couldnt run that much faster. Maybe not let my high level of suckitude get me down mentaly. Sadly, it was hard to walk by the chick who passed me at the last few hundre meters. I had to fight the urge to run up and push her over. I really wanted to. It's not her fault she's better than me however.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food with Tim, Matt and Faeron. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being about 25 pounds overweight (still) and metally checkin out at mile 3.

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/23
Performance: Below average
Suit: De Soto
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:47 | 24.85 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:14 | 06.21 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 5:44 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-11 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1395167

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon

Seriously, don't beat yourself up over your first Olympic.  It's such a mental game compared to the Sprint--- my first was a total nightmare.  (I'm dreading the second, but I hear it gets better)  You actually did great out there considering how sparse the competition was.  It's so much harder to stay mentally strong when you spend so much of your time alone out there.  You will be just fine in 10 weeks for your HIM.  Just fine!

Despite what you may feel, I think you did great out there yesterday, so congrats for just getting it done.  It was NOT a fun swim, you did phenomenal on the bike after a crazy T1 (running for 1/4 mile after you swim that long really IS tough), and you stayed strong on the run when it could have been much worse.  Kudos-- hope to meet you on course one of these days. 

2008-05-11 6:21 PM

Melon Presser

Awww, mixie ...

You showed up. You pushed on (when it was safe) despite some VERY disconcerting dizziness. You made your body keep going even when your head checked out.

As for running ... hmmm ... let's see, now HOW and HOW MUCH were you running a year ago?

And HOW and HOW MUCH are you running now?

Huh, I think that is called hard-earned progress.

2008-05-11 7:18 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I totally understand your need to be self critical and it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to put all down in a RR. (But it also takes the power away to get it out of our heads)

IMHO: Racing by HR is a dodgy proposition at best. I will post an article or two for you written by Pete that talks about why. It does work for some folks, but more often than not, HR is a poor pace gauge.

FWIW: My LT is 165 and I spent most of the time on the bike just on the ragged edge of that and was totally maxed out climbing both loops. (Out of the saddle pushing my 53/21 Ratio) On the run, I was way over my LT for the entire run and was pretty close to max effort for the last 3 miles.

The Oly is fast and furious and it sounds to me like you were definitely pushing the pace.

The swim was hard for the reasons that you said, choppy water and a lack of participants on the 2nd lap. Instead of drafting the 2nd lap, you were pushing water. But then I think you need to get used to that because that is what front runners have to deal with.

Sounded to me like your ride went great and the run knocked you down. (The first 2 miles sucked for me too) Those short rollers really hammered the muscles that were still in riding mode. My legs definitely were not happy with me. (And it sounds like you had a similar experience)

You looked really strong out there on the run both when I saw you and when you were running into the finish.

Without qualification, you did great out there. Your a very strong Triathlete and this was a good race for you. The course threw some hard punches and you took it all in stride and finished strong.

In the end, like the 10k, this distance requires a lot of very specific training to be able to race at such a high intensity for that long. Race day tactics and pacing also is based on personal experience. (And some of your workouts are definitely on task for that)

I think this was an excellent tuneup for your HIM. You just trained through a race that a lot of folks work a whole season to peak for. If you are concerned, definitely think about scheduling another tuneup race. (An Oly if you can find it)

I am a true believer in tuneup races, and so is Pete, but he does warn us to not read too much into overall performance. (Especially given that we are never fresh on race day) This is usually stuff a coach would say but since we are self trained, we have to remind each other of this from time to time  

But I think this definitely suggests that your training for your HIM is right where it should be. Keep up the great work Mixie

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-05-11 7:22 PM
2008-05-11 8:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-11 10:52 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WTG on your race, Verna!

2008-05-12 12:24 AM

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Verna!! You are the bomb.com girl!! You did so good at the race. I know that I was beating myself up over my terrible swim...I was so happy with how well you did and I had a great time racing with you. :D It was a tough race...but man, it was so fun. I'm thinking of doing that race in San Dimas too...but I'm not sure...I need more open water swimming practice before I feel comfortable out there. According to the split times posted I did pretty well in the water but I defintely felt horrible out there. 31:31 in the water for me. Anywho....you did great and I know you're going to rock it in San Dimas. Adios!!
2008-05-12 1:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Great job, really. now quit it and be happy! you totally kicked azz!

Edited by DoloresM2 2008-05-12 1:34 AM
2008-05-12 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey, altogether kick-azz job getting out there and NOT giving up even though you really wanted to!  I have yet to do an Oly (first will be in July) so I can't speak from experience but I can imagine it's quite the learning experience the first time around.  Definitely requires some mental fortitude and re-learning how to pace yourself - and you did that!  Good freakin job.  You'll rock the HIM!
2008-05-12 12:01 PM

Master
Long Beach, CA

Verna, I'm sorry this was such a discouraging race for you. I know how it feels to be alone on a course and feeling DFL. It's amazing how much the mental stuff can really f**k you up during a race. There is a book I bought after a bad swim nearly derailed me at Hermosa. It's called "The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training". It's on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Mental-Training-Ultrafit-Multisport/dp/1931382700/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210611416&sr=8-1

Reading this really helped me deal with races when things weren't going my way. It's a good read.

Try not to feel too discouraged. I think you were right to stop when you didn't feel well. (It's funny, I also thought of ChrisM in my last race when I felt a teeny bit of dizzines on the swim.) You were safe about it and got back on when you were ready. I think it is awesome that you stuck it out and finished the race. One tough race doesn't mean you're not HIM ready. Just focus on training, try to learn from what happened this weekend, and realize that you are are a total rock star! GOOD JOB!!!

2008-05-12 2:20 PM

Expert

Congrats on your first Oly Verna. I think you did very well for your FIRST time. Nobody knows what to expect and it's not often that a first time at anything goes the way we THINK it is. I think you might have some stuff picked out that you want to work on and that is only going to help you come the HIM. Keep you head up and keep doing that great work that you do!

2008-05-12 3:52 PM

Veteran
Denver

Verna, you kicked !

I'm so proud of you (best mentor ever!)  And i love that you used "sucktitude" ha I think I like that word.  Seriously, you are a strong tough competitor and you will do GREAT on your HIM.  You have a solid training base and solid plan and I am confident that you will do well at Vineman.

Great job, girl!

Norine 

2008-05-12 6:53 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
Verna--

Okay, I see from your response to Tim's comment that the pity party is over, so I won't pile on.

Seriously, though, your running is shaping up just fine. You are at just over 11 and change per mile for an Oly 10K? For someone with no running history (and who is in the process of working on not psyching herself out of success on the run...hint, hint...), that's really very respectable and you will improve with continued training.

Doing the math on your swim split, that was perfectly solid, too. Basically, you had a really good first Oly...shaky start to the bike actually looks like it was the only below par section of the race for you, given how comfortable you generally are with the bike.

(BTW, I have a really hard time believing your bike LT as you stated it in the RR...I'd bet money it's higher just based on your age and training volume. I'd also throw away the HRM for your next Oly, but that's just me...I think those things have as much potential to take you out of a race as dial you into one.)

I guarantee you'll have a much shinier next Oly. (Well, okay, I'm counting on that, anyhow, since I was disappointed in my first one a couple weeks back and expect my second in late June to be better...that makes you a canary in the Oly coalmine for me, I guess.)

Thanks for sharing your race report, Verna! Don't ever lose sight of how much work you've done on yourself and how far you've come in a span of time that should be inspiring to a lot of people! I look forward to racing with you at Vineman!
2008-05-13 1:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
I hope you're feeling better about it after a few days.  Really, you did great.  Looking at your times, if I have anything even close to that at my first Oly next month I will be thrilled.  Your training has been solid and no doubt you will do great at the HIM.  Maybe we just need these kind of crummy-feeling races in order to appreciate the really good ones.
2008-05-15 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1399809

Pro
Irvine, California

Hey Verna, don't beat yourself up, you did great out there!  That was some serious dizziness you overcame getting on the bike.  I don't know how you stayed with it, and didn't get sick!  I probably would've been curled up by the side of the road, enjoying my breakfast a 2nd time.

The race sounds like a really cool one -- I think I might try to do it next year.

Grats on your first ever oly!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed