Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else out there suffer from SAD? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-06 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: Anyone else out there suffer from SAD?
I hate Jan and Feb...it's dark when I drive to work and it's dark when I drive home. 2 years ago my company downsized (again) and now my office has no windows!!!! Springtime is soooo far away!

I'm hoping this year with all the tri training (just started this Sept), I can keep my melatonin levels down, and increase my serotonin levels. This should help.. In the past, the only thing that really helped was to take a walk outside, even if it was cloudy. I also have my first tri coming up so I have a goal to keep me going...

Anyone else have SAD? What do you do to keep this in check?

2005-01-06 9:34 AM
in reply to: #99579

User image

Regular
Good ole' Central Maine
Subject: RE: Anyone else out there suffer from SAD?
I actually struggle with it too. In the past, I've usually just ridden out the grumpiness & lethargy that arrives when we set the clocks back.

This year when I decided to start tri-training in October, one of my first thoughts was that it would be a really good thing for the winter months and maybe it would make the winter more bearable for me. So far, it has kept me busy enough (and focused on things other than the am/pm darkness, cracked nuckles, car scraping and ice-covered roads) that it might be working. I have not been nearly as moody or grouchy or craving mass amounts of chocolate as I usually am by this point in the winter. And I'm sleeping more normally.

However, since I'm new to swimming and biking, I've come to realize how much work is ahead of me before I do my first tri in May, and winter just may not be long enough this year!!! Anyway, good luck w/ your training and spring will be here before we know it!!!
2005-01-06 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
One of my friends has SAD. He sits in front of a light box every morning and it helps him deal with the dreary Seattle weather this time of year.
2005-01-06 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
You're lucky if you only suffer through Jan/Feb.  I've been suffering with it for quite a few years and from October to March.  The depression was worse than pms!!  So now I go to tanning booths (for those who disapprove of tanning booths......well...... ;-<b></b>) and I use the proper creams.   My doctor has approved this simply for the fact that it helps me.  Also now that neither my husband or I no longer work, we go south (Barbados) for 2 months during the winter.  That seems to really help the vitamin D levels.  It's good for the skin.  My excema (sp?) virtually disappears.  Good luck with yours.
2005-01-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #99727

User image

Regular
Good ole' Central Maine
I was a tanning bed user for that same reason until a few years ago, when my fair skin and freckles told me I should probably lay off the habit. But, I'm like you--it's almost like clockwork when I start getting the winter blues...as soon as we set the clocks back in October, it's like a switch has been flicked for me and suddenly I become much more preoccupied with sweat pants and bed!
2005-01-06 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio

I am self diagnosed with SAD. I am really bummed out this week especially because it has rained for the last 5 days non-stop! And its sooo cold!!  I want my sunshine and warm weather back!!

Beth

2005-01-06 11:39 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
I watch recorded baseball games and count the days to spring training. Pitchers and catchers report in less than 6 weeks and first spring training game is less than 8 weeks. I used to think is was only SAD, but now I think it's more baseball withdrawl.
2005-01-07 11:44 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I take a vacation to someplace sunny in March...every year.  Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, just if the sun's shining.

Also, every wkend I spend as much time as I can bear outside...running, x-country skiing, not inside...any time inside is time fresh air and sunshine isn't happening...but the vacation really puts me over the top.

Other than that, it's a grind...

2005-01-16 3:04 PM

User image

Altadena, CA
While living in Seattle from 1998-2004 I suffered from SAD. Not only are the days shorter in Seattle during the winter time (and especially so due to the high latitude) but it is rainy and dreary from October until May. But, I figured out how to prevent SAD: I moved back to LA.

It's the best move I've ever made -- LA has light rail (Seattle had light rail a little over a hundred years ago but hasn't had it since), the economy is better, my job is better, the weather is better, the commute is shorter and training is easier when it is dry and sunny (and it is dry and sunny all year long, except for the 2 weeks in early January when we get downpours).

Of course, this isn't the solution for everyone. I did notice that when I exercised regularly in Seattle, I did feel better. But there was still a distinct change in attitude and motivation during the winter months. Light boxes and tanning salons might have worked, but I was working for the state and couldn't afford it.
2005-01-16 5:26 PM
in reply to: #104474

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
lheiss - 2005-01-16 3:04 PM
While living in Seattle from 1998-2004 I suffered from SAD. Not only are the days shorter in Seattle during the winter time (and especially so due to the high latitude) but it is rainy and dreary from October until May. But, I figured out how to prevent SAD: I moved back to LA.

I had a similar experience, just moving somewhere in the same latitute with more sun. (From Cleveland, OH to San Jose, CA) Now I'm back in Cleveland and keeping a watchful eye on my attitude. The training has definitely helped to keep me busy.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else out there suffer from SAD? Rss Feed