General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold OWS help needed, please!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-16 9:32 AM

Regular
Denver, CO
Subject: Cold OWS help needed, please!!!
Recently moved here from Texas, where the coldest water I ever swam in was the low 70s, and it felt COLD. I'm racing the Tinman this weekend, where water temps are expected to be near 60. I have a full wetsuit and a neoprene cap, but am still a bit concerned about how my body will react.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if any other BTers are going to be there, I would love to hook up and meet a few local triathletes.

Thanks,
Adam

Edited by mop_sack 2008-05-16 9:35 AM

2008-05-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1406548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Cold OWS help needed, please!!!
My first OWS last year was in May and I found the water shocking. I could barely keep my face in the water it felt so cold and it literally took my breath away. Part of it was the water temp and the rest was just getting used to swimming in a wetsuit.

The wetsuit and cap are obviously necessary and the cap will definitely make it a little easier. As you know, the wetsuit (if it fits right) is designed to hold some water that your body heat will warm up. So I usually get in, let it fill up, and then relax for a bit while treading water. This gets you acclimated to the water and the treading motion generates additional body heat. I'll just float on my back and kind of do a jumping jack like motion. But I find once I get swimming after this, I warm up.

Good luck at Tinman!
2008-05-16 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

My only suggestion would to be get in the water before your wave goes off and try to get used to the feeling of having your face in the cold water.

I am also an Texas immigrant and did 2 races last year in cold water.  Once I swam around a few minutes, I was fine.  It really didn't bother me during the swim.  My biggest problem was that once I got out of the water, it was difficult to get my hands and feet to function because they were cold.  Once I got through T1, I was fine.

2008-05-16 11:13 AM

Timnath Colorado,

I will be there; looking forward to a warm and sunny race day. I did a race two weeks ago at Boulder Reservoir and the water temp was 53...or perhaps colder. It was not pleasant, but not life-threatening (for a sprint distance anyway). I expect the water temp at Jackson Reservoir on Sunday to be low 60's. I don't tolerate cold very well but I'm not worried in the least about it.  I figure if I survived Boulder 2 wks ago, I'm bullet proof.  I'll probably go with a double swim cap, but no booties or gloves. I do think it helps to get in the water before the start to get used to it. I'm not necessarily talking about a 10 minute warmup, but at least a couple minutes, so it's not a shock when you put your face in. Expect your hands, feet and face will probably be a bit numb, and don't expect a PR on the swim...it's harder to get a good pull with numb hands. Also, expect T1 might be a little slower as your hands won't work quite as well (wetsuit removal, buckle helmet, shoes....) But, the forescast is for good weather and you'll warm right up on the bike.

Good luck.

2008-05-16 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

The first 100 meters will be the toughest.  Once the face gets relatively numb, it gets better.  Like others have said, the double cap helps a bit.  Also, some Vaseline(Aquaphor) on the exposed face area helps a bit as well.

Keep in mid, the other people with ya, are feeling the same misery.

Good luck and have fun!

2008-05-18 8:45 PM

Regular
Denver, CO
Well it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I did have to breathe every two strokes, because I couldn't keep my face in for three strokes.

There is some seriously strong competition up here. I've never been passed by so many people when I was riding in excess of 24 MPH.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold OWS help needed, please!!! Rss Feed