General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I feel like an official rider today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-18 8:05 PM

New user

Subject: I feel like an official rider today
I made it 1 year and 22 days, but I finally received my badge of honor this morning when I had my first crash. I had just bought my new aerobars last week and this was my first long ride trying to get used to them. At mile 35 of our 36 mile ride, I got in my aerobar position, but I wasn't paying attention at that moment because it took me right into the back tire of the rider in front of me. By the time he had released, I was heading straight for the right side ditch going 20 MPH. Luckily, the ditch was all grass and only about a 3 foot dropoff (lightpole was about 20 yards further up). I was able to clip out, flip, and land on my back at the bottom of the ditch. I will survive with a few scraps and a soar back, and the bike seems to have minimal damage (at the LBS now for a checkup).

I am glad to get the first crash over with, hopefully I can make it longer before the next one.

2008-05-18 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1409720

User image

Subject: RE: I feel like an official rider today

Whew, glad you're OK.  Crashes suck, hope you never have another

But you learned a good lesson (unfortunately, the hard way), you shouldn't be in your aero bars if you are drafting off someone else (intentionally or otherwise, if you were close enough to almost hit, you were drafting) unless you really trust that person.  No way to avoid a crash if the u know what hits the fan.

2008-05-18 8:36 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Glad you're not hurt seriously, but using your aerobars in a group ride is just plain stupid.  

Mark

2008-05-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1409785

New user

Not disagreeing, but I should clarify. It was a group ride of 2 (me and another guy). I now see that the way I described it above, I made it seem like there was more.
2008-05-18 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1409792

User image

OPKS-Clone - 2008-05-18 6:40 PM Not disagreeing, but I should clarify. It was a group ride of 2 (me and another guy). I now see that the way I described it above, I made it seem like there was more.

gotcha.   then it just depends on the person.  There's a few guys I trust to be behind in aero, but still, you have to accept if something happens it's likely you are going down.

2008-05-18 9:01 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Doesn't matter if your were following one person or twenty, it was still an irresponsible and dangerous move on your part.   If you're still getting used to your aerobars, then do it on your own and don't endanger other riders.  At least have enough sense to use them when you're leading, not when riding on someone else's wheel. 

Mark

2008-05-18 10:59 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Dude your first post on BT was about a bike crash. Welcome!
2008-05-19 12:29 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
You're not an official rider until you've got at least one embarrassing low-speed forgot-to-clip-out-of-pedals crash story...
2008-05-19 1:07 AM

User image

Master
Sachse
Welcome to BT.. I am glad you're ok and learned a lesson. I hope your and the other rider's bike turn out ok. The first few times I got into the aerobars.. I was way away from all people and other moving objects.. But, I did get a little cocky and decided to get into them at about 30 mph on first time...with the new bike..... I got a nice gust of wind from the side... and if every muscle hadn't tightend up (pucker factor very high!), I probably would have gotten some practice pi$$ing in my TRI shorts.

Just take it slow... it will just click... and you won't even have to think about it.

Kenny
2008-05-19 1:14 AM
in reply to: #1409976

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-19 8:40 AM

Expert
Long Island, NY

I spent a good deal of time this winter on the trainer on the aerobars. First time out, went to get on them just like I did before and went a full lane over to the left when I put my weight on my left arm. Thank got nobody was there, but it scared the crap out of me.

Apparently weight transfer is an issue when you are not locked in to a trainer. I'd like to think my cat like reflexes saved me from dumping, but it was probably my guardian angel smacking me real hard that got me righted.

With nothing wounded but pride, I learned to respect the aerobars. Until I REALLY get comfortable, it's only when all alone with a wide shoulder.

2008-05-19 9:18 AM

Veteran
Okay I have to post, I have to post.  Yesterday was my FIRST DAY on the road on my new tri-bike & I am completely GREEN. I've only ever been on the trainer...and to my bike fit.  I cannot believe the amount of balance involved...and I will openly admit that I fell when I GOT ON my bike b/c I clipped in & took off prematurely...it was horribly embarassing and very, very frustrating...but I guess I got the falling out of the way early - at least...that time around.  I have a new-found respect for cycling!  Glad you didn't get injured or injure a fellow rider.  We're all learning from our mistakes & hopefully they don't  come at anyone else's expense!
2008-05-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1410489

New user

Thanks for the replies, advice, and for not being too hard on me. I obviously learned my lesson the hard way, but learned the lesson none the less. My back is still sore today, but it definitely could have been worse.

The co-worker I was riding with has been riding for over 30 years, and one of the reasons for the ride was that he was going to help me with the aerobars. He is someone that I trust 100% drafting behind, and I have earned his trust as well (maybe not anymore). The mistake was 100% my fault, and I won't be drafting with aerobars again.

He actually got me started biking. It was your typical beginner story. I was weighing about 235, inactive, and embarrassed with my appearance. The wake up call came when he asked me to name one other person in the company that I was in better shape then. When I could legitimately only name 1 person (someone 35 years older than me), I knew I had to do something. The next week I used my tax refund money and bought a Trek 1500 (best purchase I ever made). I put over a 1000 miles on it last year and dropped down to 195 lbs and got my self confidence back. Now I am signed up for the Chicago Triathlon in August, so there is no looking back.
2008-05-19 5:12 PM

Welcome and congrats on your progress!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I feel like an official rider today Rss Feed