General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in the back of legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-18 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Pain in the back of legs
In the back of my right leg (behind my thigh just above the knee or knee-pit) I'm having the worst pain such that I can barely walk. Two days ago I decided to switch from low reps high weight to high reps low weight in my strength training. When I woke up yesterday I had the usual soreness nothing too bad and did swimming yesterday morning about 40 mins. By the end of day yesterday I started having really bad pain and now Im hobbling around the office. This seems more painful than the usual soreness could it be an injury? I tried strectching it out last night by straightening my leg in the air pulling my calf towards me while pushing down on my thigh it hurt for a second but afterwards it felt great for about 10 minutes. Obviously Im taking a rest day today but is there anything I can do to help this recover faster? Cold/Hot compress stretching? Or just leave it be?

Edited by soupaman 2004-02-18 1:03 PM

2004-02-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: #7996

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Pain in the back of legs
Generally, after an acute strain/sprain RICE is best for the first 24-48 hrs (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Ice for 20-30 min every 2 hours. After the first 48 hrs, you can switch to heat if you are still sore. Same time recommendations. I would definitely ease of the leg weight workout till the PAIN is gone. Gentle stretching and rest should heal up typical sprain/strain injuries. Also, PATIENCE....... ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in the back of legs Rss Feed