United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 22s
Overall Rank = 118/494
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/46
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I ran this race while out of town attending a convention. We were staying at a Hotel just a flew blocks from the event.

The race started at 9AM - later than I'm used to - so I was able to get up and eat a good breakfast at the hotel's buffet around 7am. Eggs, bacon, bisquet+honey, oatmeal, potatoes and OJ.

Event warmup:

We jogged down to the Hilton and picked up our race packettes around 8:30 and then jogged around a bit keeping loose.

Run
  • 47m 22s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

It seemed that I went out a little fast. I ran the first mile at a 7:15 pace, not my intension - but was able to maintain that through about mile 4. When I hit the 1/4 mile incline my pace dropped to about 8:20 or so and didn't get it back till about the last 1/2 mile.
What would you do differently?:

I'm in the middle of training for a Marathon that I'll run in Ft Worth on 2/26. I haven't trained specificly for a 10k race - so I think in the future I can use this race as a benchmark of what my 10k pace should be.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around drank 2 Powerades, eat a orange, 1/2 banana and a slice of home-made bread.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Specific training for a 10k race.

Event comments:

OK race. Back in October when I knew I was going to be in Charlotte NC in January. I looked on-line for races hoping to find a Marathon. This race at that time did advertise a Marathon and my wife and I began to train for it through November. However they apparently couldn't get the Marathon together (it was going to be their first year for Marathon) so they cancelled it. This race is about 10 years old and has always been a 5k and 10k, but they were going to try to add a Marathon to the mix, but couldn't put it together in-time.

Anyhow - the 10k was nice and I'll run my Marathon in about 7 weeks closer to home.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:22 | 10 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 15/46
Overall: 118/494
Performance: Good
This was my first race to wear my Timex Body-Link. Data was as follows: Avg HR: 180 Avg Pace: 7:33 Fasted Pace: 6:10
Course: Great course - seemed mostly downhill through some residentual areas. However just after the 4th mile marker - we had a 1/4 mile incline that was pretty tough - my HR got upto 188 or so and pace down to about 8:20. Drinking stations were at mile 2 and 4.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes