General Discussion Race Reports! » Shiver by the River Series '04-'05 - Race 2 of 4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shiver by the River Series '04-'05 - Race 2 of 4 - Run

View Member's Race Log
Reading, PA
United States
Pagoda Pacers Athletic Club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 4s
Overall Rank = 289/290
Age Group = Men's Clyde
Age Group Rank = 23/23
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of Kashi cereal before leaving the house. Drank a bunch of water on the way there. Stopped at my sister's house to drop off my niece and continued on to the race. About 20 minutes before getting to the race venue, I started to get a little bit of a headache, but I woke up feeling fine, so GAME ON!
Event warmup:

Same as usual, but since I got there a little later then planned, it was about 15 minutes of taijiquan and stretching.
Run
  • 45m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, it felt good to run this race today. I had planned to "speed walk" it with some dive buddies, but they all bagged on me. So, forget the slackers and full speed ahead (well, as much steam as I can muster). After mile 1, I started getting the usual doubts... "What are you doing out here?" "Are you stupid?" "Slow down, your ankle isn't healed completely yet." "I can't believe that your even considering doing a half mary at then end of the year." et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... By mile 2 I finally started to feel like I belonged out there. My ankle didn't bug me as much, my right leg was finally starting to relax, WTF? 10k people already? Ugh. Time to pick up the pace and finish strong I guess :) I always enjoy being lapped by the fast runners. It is amazing to watch these people run. I'm humbled to be on the same course, yet when they take the time to encourage me, I fell elated. Actually, someone even ran up behind me and gave me a pat on the back and told me that I looked good and to keep up the good work. As he passed, I saw that he was wearing an IMLP finisher's shirt. I was tickled pink. I felt like that kid in the old cola commercials with Mean Joe Green :) I ran into him again in the chow line and thanked him for being my hero today.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I did the best that I could do considering I'm still healing. I had to walk about 50 feet at the top of the last hill, but that's ok, I just wanted to finish strong, not get hurt again and smile as much as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a little bit. That's it. I also decided that it was time for me to start "saluting" my race courses, so I saluted it before starting and after going through the finish chute. It's all about respect for your opponent and until I get good enough to be my own worst enemy, the course that I run on will have to do. After I stopped moving, I made my way to the "lodge" for a couple of oreos, a bowl of chicken noodle soup and half a bagel with peanut butter. I drank a bottle of Frankendrink and the rest of my water on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um, let's see... I'm fat and I have a badgered ankle :)

Event comments:

This is one of the best races that I've had the pleasure of doing. No complaints. Same comments as last time.

Last updated: 2004-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:04 | 03.1 miles | 14m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/23
Overall: 289/290
Performance: Good
Avg Heart Rate = 177/ Max Heart Rate = 192
Course: Rolling course through a park and residential area. About 80 feet total of ascents and descents. The first and last parts of the course run along a river. Very nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-01-09 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Shiver by the River Series '04-'05 - Race 2 of 4

2005-01-09 6:36 PM
in reply to: #101164

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Shiver by the River Series '04-'05 - Race 2 of 4
Nice race Frank!  I also enjoy watching very fast people run....it's almost graceful
2005-01-09 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Well done Frank!!

Nothing feels better then achieving another personal goal.

Paul
2005-01-10 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Awesome race Frank!!  I would be thrilled to have a IM finisher encourage me too.  Keep up the training pace and listen to your ankle.   :-)
2005-01-12 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Contratulations!

Hope your ankle gets better soon. You are doing great, man!

Félix
2005-01-13 12:16 AM
in reply to: #102706

User image

Damn Frank, I've been out of it and didn't realize you had a race, and with the ankle still iffy..... I don't know how you do it man, but you continue to inspire!

Chris

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shiver by the River Series '04-'05 - Race 2 of 4 Rss Feed