General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking at Fort Jackson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-26 6:03 PM

Expert
Southeast
Subject: biking at Fort Jackson

I've been biking semi-causally for a long time, but recently have started 'serious' biking (you know, new bike, actual biking shorts, etc.).  I've been a runner for a long time, so I'm in decent shape, but not necessarily for hard biking.  I have no desire to ride in a pack.  Enough background.

My question is: for those who ride at Fort Jackson (which is where I've been doing training rides), how fast do you go?  I'm interested in seeing the range of what people do.  I'm more interested not in your average time, but in how fast you go on the flats and on hills.  For example, how fast are you going at the top of the long hill on Hampton?  I realize that wind (which seems always to be blowing over there) and other factors introduce variables, but I'm just interested in ballpark figures to see where I'm at.

OK, I'll start.   On easy to medium rides I've found myself going something like:

18-22mph on flats

22-30mph downhill

10-19mph up hill

Hill speeds are very hill dependent of course, but on the worst hills, unless I am prepared to kill myself going up, I usually slow down to 10-11mph, and this is what worries me.  How fast SHOULD I be going up those hills?

2008-10-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1424839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Subject: RE: biking at Fort Jackson
I've never ridden on Ft. Jackson, but I was there this weekend, saw a lot of riders, and have a little word of advice.

When you are riding 2 wide and a Hummvee comes up behind you, GET OVER. Seriously there is no way you can't hear that thing coming.

I'm not implying that is was you. I just wanted to get it off my chest. I also hope that maybe one of them may be seeing this and they will get over much quicker.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking at Fort Jackson Rss Feed