General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are bike stores in Canada so uncompetitive? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-31 5:14 PM

Subject: Why are bike stores in Canada so uncompetitive?

My friend and I recently got into Tri and we're students and quite knowledgeable about how to get the best deal, or rather, of when we are getting ripped off. In other words, we don't like paying x, when we KNOW someone else is paying y, such that x > y (sorry i'm in CS).

After scrounging every LBS in the Greater Toronto Area, I have lost all faith in the Canadian bike market. Almost every item, whether it be a complete bike or parts is probably at least 40% more than what you can find online. I'm not even talking about ebay, I'm talking about U.S. websites, both LBS and Mail-order. Both are significantly lower in price than their Canadian counter-parts.

In fact, I found a large portion of the LBS in the GTA area don't even conform to MSRPs. For example, I was looking for some Ksyrium Elite Wheels, and I believe the MSRP is about 499.00, i've seen them listed online at mom-and-pop bike stores in the US for up to 600 or so. But then WHY oh WHY is the largest bike store in my city selling them for 999.00!!!

It's appalling, and what disgusts me even more is the employees at these stores will never even cop-up to their astronomical prices. They won't price match, and if you even mention that their prices are uncompetitive, they seem offended, give you a dirty look and not so much as call you a liar.

Are they totally oblivious? Is anyone else totally fed up with the state of LBS in Canada?

Edited by anixon 2008-05-31 5:15 PM

2008-06-01 1:19 AM
in reply to: #1435554

User image

Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Why are bike stores in Canada so uncompetitive?

It could be import prices, but who knows? 

LBS will always have a higher price versus online retailer, but what LBS lacks in cheaper prices always makes up for it in service such as custom fittings and usually free lifelong maintenance.  Try that with eBay or a typical online shop.  

I don't know the details of your situation, but could the same model bike or wheelset be configured differently marking up the price even more? 

2008-06-01 6:35 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Not sure about the exact details, but an LBS told me that many manufacturers/distributors from the U.S. and overseas have different fixed pricing based on currency. He made it sound similar to publishing companies that fix prices on the dust jackets with a huge Canadian price markup, like up to 30% over the U.S. prices, never taking into consideration the fluctuating exchange rates, but more importantly not accounting for the recent parity in our dollars. I've been in a similar situation where I'd much rather buy from a shop and have them install and warantee the component but they just can't price match U.S. prices because of this. And by U.S. prices, I mean the U.S. MRSP, which can differ from the Canadian MRSP, which again, is higher in may cases despite our dollar parity. I was also told that import charges were huge; I know I sometimes take a huge hit when ordering parts from the U.S. and overseas - sometimes stuff will go under the radar, but when Can Customs gets their hands on it, I've paid as much as 110% in fees for components, even used stuff.

A closer comparison would be comparing online Canadian shops to your LBS and I think you'll see the prices more inline with each other. I haven't found any Canadian E-tailer that can come close to matching the huge online U.S. warehouse cycle shops.

Edited by sty 2008-06-01 6:36 AM
2008-06-01 6:14 PM

Everyone seems to make valid points. It's a confusing topic. I don't know the reasoning. All I know is I have yet to see anything worth buying at a Canadian bike store. Even with shipping costs and brokerage fees etc. and even with waiting for the product, it seems the difference is cost (at least for a student like me) is worth looking else where.

I was inquiring about Ultegra rear derailleurs a couple weeks ago and called TWO LBS and both quoted my 250.00, where is the world they get that number is beyond me. You can get this part pretty much anywhere else (online/US) for around 60-100.

It kinda does seem like all the Canadian bike stores are still working on a 70cents to the dollar type of exchange rate. I think they just feel really comfortable with the fact that bikes (unlike other goods such as electronics) are probably not AS easy to import. Also, it does take a little bit more knowledge and experience to be able to shop online for these types of things. Does it justify the price gouging though? I don't think it's fair.

The global marketplace is getting smaller really fast. I await the day when Canadian bike retailers will have to step up to the plate and start competing for business.

Edited by anixon 2008-06-01 6:15 PM
2008-06-01 6:21 PM

While we're on the topic of how bad Canadian retailers are... does anyone know any good ones?

Any recommendations in the GTA? I'd say so far I've been pretty impressed with Enduro Sport, they have good selection and at least they're pretty in tune with MSRPs. And they're service seems to justify the rest.

Also what are the best Canadian ONLINE stores? I know Brauns.com and LaBicicletta.com but I'm not too enthused about their prices. Any others?

2008-06-04 8:22 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
In Mississauga, Gears and Re-My Sport are overpriced (in comparison to other LBS's), but Cyclepath in Oakville is pretty reasonable, although they are bike centric as opposed to Tri centric.

We're going to be stuck paying higher prices for a lot of things, and in many cases it has to do with customs, plus the fact that manufacturers weren't ready for the huge jump in the loonie. Keep this in mind, every time something is made outside the US or Canada, and then shipped to the US and then onto Canada, it gets hit with customs fees twice (once for each country) + transportation (which is getting astronomical) + retail markup at the end destination.

It sucks, but is unavoidable. I work for a company that has big disparities between Cdn & US pricing, and a lot of it has to do with historical differences in our exchange rates. Even though our dollar is now stronger, for the most part we can't change our pricing because our top end sales (which stock holders review) would tank. It's not fair, but it also won't change anytime soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are bike stores in Canada so uncompetitive? Rss Feed