General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-01-12 8:43 AM
in reply to: #102229

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation
I_tri - 2005-01-11 7:49 PM
When I think back, some of my best and clearest memories are from those fantastic workouts. Like running across a cow field while on vacation in Wells, England and watching the steam come off the field, or swimming in lake MI and feeling the sun touch my face every time I turned to breathe, or biking to the barn in the rain to see my pony... Even though I've gotten into and out of shape a few times, I really want to stay fit this time, because those moments of clarity are precious.
Katie

Those memories mirror some of mine. Running in the country side, especially in the rain or early in the morning is something that keeps coming back to me as well. Good Luck

2005-01-12 8:47 AM
in reply to: #102255

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation
Ken - 2005-01-11 9:20 PM
The hardest part is always the first month. Then you start to notice the results. You feel and see yourself getting stronger and this provides even more motivation. So, any first timers out there, please stick with it. You'll also find that once you realize what you can accomplish, not even the longest distances will seem insurmountable.

So true. The first month is always the killer. I'm in the middle of that right now. I've been working out only two weeks and I'm dying to see results already. I know they won't show up for at least another three-is weeks. But after that, it's all over-driver from there on.

Edited by cobannero 2005-01-12 8:48 AM
2005-01-12 8:52 AM
in reply to: #102291

Master
Brooklyn, NY
gr8brindle - 2005-01-11 10:35 PM
After about a 1.5 months, I went swimming at the UIC pool with my cousin [who's in the military]. and we first did three laps straight. Then he said, lets do 4 laps straight it's only one more than three. So, we did this no problem and he continued with the "it's only one more than the last" statement until he got me to TEN STRAIGHT LAPS. I was exhausted but extatic.

From then on, my confidence grew in swimming, eventually a couple of years after this I joined a masters swim team, where i was working out for 1.5 hours intensively.

But am here now, just starting out, all over again due to injury. It's not a big deal the second time around. ;0)

Keep at it with the training!

You never know what you're capable of until you push it.

Good luck.
2005-01-12 9:46 AM
in reply to: #102285

User image

Elite
Chicago
Wookiee - 2005-01-11 9:21 PM

Steve- - 2005-01-11 1:15 PM

I remember when I "taught" myself the front crawl (otherwise known as the freestyle stroke)

I thought the front crawl had been renamed "freestyle" when I was watching the olympics but then they had a commentator explaining that the freestyle races were exactly that - freestyle. The swimmers are allowed to choose any stroke they want to swim the race. The front crawl is the fastest stroke so that is what everyone chooses but there is nothing in the rules that would prevent them from choosing the side stroke, butterfly, back stroke, breast stroke, trudgen or even the dog paddle.

Wow, that's very interesting. I did not know that!

Those commentators do delve out some useful info after all....
2005-01-12 10:52 AM
in reply to: #101985

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I decided to start training to do a triathlon on Nov 10 2004

The biking and running came fairly easy, although the run pace has picked way up.

I didn't find a pool until about the end of December and I'll tell you what, it beat the heck out of me just to do 5-600 yards..Today I did 1000.  It still beat the heck out of me, but it's coming along!

2005-01-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #101985

User image

Regular
Daytona Beach
When I do my swim days, I warm up at a comfortable pace. During my workout phase, I make sure my form is better than my times. I have to remind myself that I am not doing a 100 yard dash. I am doing the first of a three phase race. I increase my distance and times as I feel fit. BT has a great workout for the 'couch to sprint' triathlete. The book "Total Immersion"  also a good aid. I doubt it will make me a much faster swimmer. However, I do know that when I leave the water, I am not completely spent. BT is the best place I have found to find all the info I need to improve my workouts. Sometimes I have to modify them to fit my schedule, but they are a great place to start.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation Rss Feed  

of 2