Elite
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I chilled in the park, working to keep calm, knowing it's a long day ahead.
Event warmup:

Walked to a porta pottie a few times, stretched a bit after the walk.
Run
  • 4h 35m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I had some difficulty on the run. I thought I'd run sub 4 no problem. All of my training runs were done at a sub 9 minute mile, so on race day I figured I'd go a little faster. I started off slowly, putting out 9:30 and 9:05 miles the first two miles. I wanted to taked it easy figuring that I could make up the time later. As I tried to get my pace to simply 9 minute miles, it was difficult. I couldn't get there. In all 26 miles I only had one mile at sub 9 (8:59). I was amazed that I couldn't even hit my training pace.

My hip which was bothering me before the race, was hurting the whole time. My foot started bleeding around mile 8 for some reason. I kept going though. I walked around mile 18 and again at mile 22.

BIT OF ADVICE: Don't walk if you can, not for time sake, but for body and mind. Starting running again was so very difficult, it hurt so much to start running again after walking. Keep "running" even if you're barely moving!!!

I ran the last 5k but by this time I was going nearly as fast as I could and was only running about 11 minute miles, which is slow for me.

The ending was awesome!!! I was glad I finished decently well. My goal after Ironman Wisconsin will be to go out and run a sub 4 hour marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Still figuring that out...suggestions?
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in cold pool (cold), then went for walk (hot), sat in cold pool (cold), sat in hot tub (hot), sat in cold pool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ankles and feet hurt, my hip.

Event comments:

Awesome race, do it if you have the chance. It was fun.

Last updated: 2005-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
04:35:15 | 26.2 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was good, the spectators were good, the course had very few dead spots where someone wasn't cheering, which is always nice (you don't always get that in a triathlong).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-01-12 10:44 AM

User image

Subject: Rock N' Roll Marathon

2005-01-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #102413

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rock N' Roll Marathon

Good run! Congratulations on finishing, was this your first full? Kind of weird that you couldn't even hit, much less maintain, your training pace.

Re: "Still figuring that out...suggestions?" Couple questions:

• How many long runs (>18) in training? How far out before race day?
  • Maximum mileage per week?
  • Any idea what cardio zone (%of MHR) you train in at sub 9-min?
  • What are your PRs at shorter distances (5K, 10K, half)?
2005-01-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: #102425

User image

Thanks.  This was my first marathon (one of the reasons I'm not too upset).  I too thought it was weird about pacing.  I wondered about elevation maybe playing a part.  I live in Iowa (near sea level) and raced in Phoenix, mountains.  So maybe that had a part in it.  You're thoughts.

• How many long runs (>18) in training? How far out before race day?

The program I used was a Beginner Marathon Program from Runner's World.  It had long runs of 16, 18, and 20 miles which I modified, to 17,19,21 to get a few runs closer to "The Wall".

• Maximum mileage per week?

Max mileage was aboug 30 miles in a week.

• Any idea what cardio zone (%of MHR) you train in at sub 9-min?

My age is 24, my heart rate was usually around 155 getting to near 160 at the end of runs.

• What are your PRs at shorter distances (5K, 10K, half)?

8k had been the longest race I'd ever done before this race, which I didn't run competitively (injured).  The fastest 5k I've run is 21:04.  (According to some marathon predictors, I should've been able to run a 3:30:00 marathon)

Edited by timbarcz 2005-01-12 11:10 AM
2005-01-12 1:27 PM
in reply to: #102413

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Wow! Congrats on finishing despite the bleeding foot and all. That takes a lot of guts!!!
2005-01-12 1:50 PM
in reply to: #102433

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Nothing there strikes me as a reason for your problem, especially since you couldn't hit pace early. How long was your taper, how much time since your last long run? That's the only thing I could think of, that you may not have fully recovered?

Phoenix has mountains, but is in a valley, elevation around 1200 feet, I think. Should not have effected you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock N' Roll Marathon Rss Feed