General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training plan question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-03 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Olympic distance training plan question
What is the purpose of using a time based training plan rather than a distance base one? Is there some advantage that I am not seeing? I would think that a distance plan would work better but that might be because I have not tried a time based plan.

2008-06-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1441245

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Olympic distance training plan question

I think most would agree that they do time based for the run and bike, and distance for the swim.

I have always thought of it this way...  When you use a generic plan, they don't have a clear picture of your ability.  So the author has you run/bike for a certain amount of time to keep you from over training.

For example, if someone has a 13 mph ave. bike speed, they will be out 50% longer than someon with a 20mph average speed.  This could have them out far too long.  Same goes for the run.

ALSO, if you base it on HR as well, then the important thing is getting enough time at a certain HR, rather than distance.

Just my 0.02.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training plan question Rss Feed