Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Strength exercise descriptions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-14 1:20 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Strength exercise descriptions?
Could anyone suggest a good web site with descriptions of the exercises listed on the log pages. I'm new to resistance training and not sure what some of the named exercises are. Actually, my problem is not so much the listed exercises as my not knowing what some of my exercises are called and the few labels I do have are not in the lists. The exercises, or some that are similar, might be there under different names.

I paid for a session with a trainer at the local YMCA, almost a year ago now, but I was concentrating more on what I had to do than what she called it. It's upper body stuff, mostly on machines and one with dumbells. It's probably time to see a trainer again for a re-evaluation and new routine but I'd still like to learn some names to log more details about what I'm doing.

2005-01-14 2:00 PM
in reply to: #103667

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Strength exercise descriptions?
2005-01-14 3:55 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Thank you! Their "exercise and muscle directory" is exactly what I was looking for. I see now my gym's machines are mostly lever machines. The only one I use that I haven't found a log label for is the "chest press", though I suppose I could record it as a bench press. The two are almost the same except that that I do mine sitting upright.

I also do something with dumbells that the trainer called a "shoulder combo". It looks like alternating front and side raises where I raise both arms straight to the front, rotate them both out to the sides and lower them. Then raise to the sides, rotate, and lower in the front. I guess I can record that as front raises and side raises, or should it have a seperate label?
2005-01-14 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

http://exercise.about.com/od/strengthtrainingworkouts/

click on the link and select the body part.  It will give you a pic and the name.

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Strength exercise descriptions? Rss Feed