General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Clinic with Karen Smyers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-17 12:43 PM

Champion
Subject: Training Clinic with Karen Smyers
On Sunday Jan 16th, I attended a triathlon training seminar with 1995 Ironman champion Karen Smyers. It was a fantastic experience, and if any of you get the chance to do so, I wouldn't pass it up. The Granite State Triathlon Club in NH organized the event, and it was attended by only 14 of us, so it was some pretty personal coaching that we got. Karen spent 5 hours with us, going over an hours worth of swimming drills in the pool, then going to the fitness center for a group session on the CompuTrainers. She had brought a car-load of the trainers up with her from Boston and we all got to ride them simultaneously, while she paced us through 90 minutes of different drills and things to practice on the trainer. This was followed by a session of strength training, and then a whole lot of review that rounded everything out. She covered a lot of details about nutrition, what to eat on an everyday basis, as well as tips on feeding yourself during different length events. The best part of the whole day was her anecdotes and stories from personal experiences, which come across as lessons in reality when you are wondering if you will ever make it through your next race. A lot of stuff to think about!

We got to tell her about our own goals for the season (3 of us are doing Lake Placid, and one is doing IM Arizona!) and she told us about hers as well. Wow, she races a lot! In addition to Lake Placid Ironman, she is doing Escape from Alcatraz, St. Croix triathlon in the bahamas, the Chicago Marathon, and a slew of other events that I've forgotten. Tremendous inspiration!

She also runs a coaching and fitness testing center and I'll give her a plug here. You can check out her web site at: http://www.fastsplits.com/FS04/home.htm

2005-01-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: #104800

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: Training Clinic with Karen Smyers
That's pretty cool, Max.   What (specifically) did she have to say about fueling during an Ironman?
2005-01-17 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah max, I also want to know any details about the nutrition end of things! Sounds like a great day!
2005-01-17 1:48 PM

Champion
Well, I guess it all boiled down to practicing in training what you want to do during the race. The secret is to see if your body can handle eating certain things at certain times. She said she had a hard time eating solid foods during a race, but I'm chalking that up to the fact that she probably races a lot faster than we do, her intensity is higher! She recommended making sure you eat on a regular interval, say having something to snack on perhaps every 1/2 hour, whatever is comfortable for you. And making sure that if you use energy gels that you wash them down with LOTS of water. A sip isn't enough. Those gels are made to be most effective at a 7% concentrate, so you need a good part of a water bottle to properly keep their nutritional concentration at the proper level.

She also mentioned that in long distance races, some people get that full stomach feeling and that it won't seem to empty. It's because your blood level in your digestive system is reduced due to a lot of it being used to power your muscles, so the digestion suffers. She recommends to just keep drinking water, but to back off on eating until you feel better. A lot of the problems stem from a basic dehydration standpoint.

Most people don't eat and drink hardly enough in a long event like an ironman. Stick to a plan and it will be a lot easier on you. And try it in training first! Go out on a long bike ride, eating & drinking what you plan for the race, then do a running brick afterwards, perhaps for an hour to see if your stomach is tolerating your eating and drinking habits. Modify as needed. She couldn't stress enough the need to do all this well in advance of a race. By race day you should know EXACTLY what your body needs to get through 6 or 8 or 17 hours of racing.

Edited by max 2005-01-17 1:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Clinic with Karen Smyers Rss Feed