General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comparing 1st Tri vs. 2nd Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-21 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Comparing 1st Tri vs. 2nd Tri
I completed my 2nd tri last week and was thinking about how similar the experience was to my first tri in April, yet how different.

* I was MUCH more relaxed for tri2, especially the swimming. I remember that anxious panicked feeling I got when I hit the water on tri1. I focused on staying relaxed for the swim on tri2 and it paid off. Tri2 was even an OW swim vs. a pool swim on tri1. A lot of work to do with the swim, but it definitely felt better.

* During tri1 I was so worried I would miss something that I got to the race a couple of hours early (heck, I couldn't sleep anyway). I made sure my transition area was set. I must have rearranged things 3-4 times. For tri2 I slept better and got to the race in plenty of time, but not too early. Set up my transition area and was ready to go.

* Training for tri2 was much less regimented as I focused mostly on my swim due to the lack of success I had with it in tri1. Although training was more relaxed for tri2, it also lacked some discipline that I feel cost me on my run.

* I worried less about what everyone else was doing during tri2 and focused more on what I needed to do to get better. During tri1 I was too worried about other bikers and runners and where I stood in comparison.

So, what do I take away from tri1 and tri2 in order to get ready for tri3? I need a disciplined training schedule, but don't need to kill myself. I am going to get with my trainer at our gym (who finished 10th overall in this same tri) to set up a schedule. Continue to work on my swimming which although it has improved is still nowhere close to competitive. I want to focus more on the transition areas to pick up some valuable time. My first two experiences were with the attitude of just don't forget anything and heck with the transition time.

Lastly, I want to set some specific goals for times for each discipline as well as overall. My goal for the first two tri's was to survive and finish. Now I want to start working on my times. I don't feel I am a triathlete yet, but I can complete a triathlon. My goal is to become a triathlete.

2008-06-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1479835

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Comparing 1st Tri vs. 2nd Tri

jacasa - 2008-06-21 8:08 AM  I don't feel I am a triathlete yet, but I can complete a triathlon. My goal is to become a triathlete.

Sounds to me like you're already there.

Cool

2008-06-21 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
As a fellow newcomer to this sport, I've really enjoyed reading your posts and have often empathized with your concerns. Coincidentally, I have also completed two triathlons! I have no problem calling myself a "triathlete," though -- haha! I certainly don't feel like one at the events, but my friends and acquaintances think I'm cool!

I need to work on that sleeping part. I was at my second tri a half-hour before they said we could set up and 2-1/2 hours before it started! That was after only giving myself 4 hours of sleep.

I think your idea of getting a good training plan sounds, well, sound. When is your next tri anyway?
2008-06-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1479936

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
mrwrite - 2008-06-21 11:51 AM

As a fellow newcomer to this sport, I've really enjoyed reading your posts and have often empathized with your concerns. Coincidentally, I have also completed two triathlons! I have no problem calling myself a "triathlete," though -- haha! I certainly don't feel like one at the events, but my friends and acquaintances think I'm cool!

I need to work on that sleeping part. I was at my second tri a half-hour before they said we could set up and 2-1/2 hours before it started! That was after only giving myself 4 hours of sleep.

I think your idea of getting a good training plan sounds, well, sound. When is your next tri anyway?

Thanks mrwrite! I was actually looking through the Ohio race schedule this morning to see who gets the proud distinction of being tri3! Still looking.

I really want to be able to do tri3 knowing I can complete the swim without stopping. I have come a long way since I began my swim training back in December. I improved significantly from tri1 to tri2 in the swim and will continue to work at it.

BTW, 9:00 am would be a perfect start time for a tri!
2008-06-21 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I was just looking at your race report -- and HOLY COW, man! You made an amazing improvement on your swim. I've been swimming about 2:45-3:00/100s for the past few months, so it's good to see that improvement (by someone else!) is possible. Nice job!

I need to get back to swimming at least 3 times a week. I've been down to 1-2 for the past couple of months....it's little wonder why I'm not improving.

Did you get a wetsuit for your OWS? Did that help?

Haha, I also laughed at your run -- I was thrilled when I finished my 5K in that time. I guess it's all where you're coming from!
2008-06-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1479959

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
mrwrite - 2008-06-21 12:30 PM

I was just looking at your race report -- and HOLY COW, man! You made an amazing improvement on your swim. I've been swimming about 2:45-3:00/100s for the past few months, so it's good to see that improvement (by someone else!) is possible. Nice job!

I need to get back to swimming at least 3 times a week. I've been down to 1-2 for the past couple of months....it's little wonder why I'm not improving.

Did you get a wetsuit for your OWS? Did that help?

Haha, I also laughed at your run -- I was thrilled when I finished my 5K in that time. I guess it's all where you're coming from!

Yes, very happy with the progress with the swim. It has become a challenge that I can't hide from. I really want to be able to swim a 1/2 mile w/out stopping. Becoming more relaxed in the water was the key to the improvement. Now I need to work on my form.

No wetsuit. The water was 72 degrees and the weather was perfect for the race. However, on Friday I did go to a multi sport store to buy a tri top. When I tried it on this 47 year old body that still has a lot of "shaping" to do, well lets just say I quickly returned it to the rack and swam without a top. Talk about an ego check.

I was determined not to stop on the run, although I probably could have walked faster. I really neglected my run training and need to pick it up.

Good luck with your training!

2008-06-22 8:22 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You are already a triathlete.  Evaluating yourself doesn't come easy, but you certainly have focused on a couple of items that you can work on, and you just practice those.

You're not the only one who needs to practice or work on improving certain aspects of their race.  I witnessed 2 of my fellow BTers, both whom have a year or better of Triathlon experience, almost come out of T2 in the same race wearing their bike helmets.  I had to yell at them to tell them that they still had their helmets on, and they had to run back to their bikes and put their helmet back on their bike, thus making them lose some valuable time.

2008-06-22 10:03 AM

New user
These are really good self-observations regarding tri1 vs tr2. Very helpful. I'm gearing up for tri1 and I really like to read everyone's stories and lessons learned. So thanks for sharing. Also, I have been wondering about how to make transitions go quickly in order to make up for my inexperience and barely-there tri readiness. But I think you have the right thought: just don't forget anything! And of course, the swim is the biggie for a newbie. I'm just going to focus on a nice even slow swim and try to calm down as much as possible. Once I'm on the bike I can ride. And for the run? I'll walk sections if I poop out by that time. I'll make sure I run over the finish line though. ;-)
2008-06-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1480889

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
toshman - 2008-06-22 11:03 AM

These are really good self-observations regarding tri1 vs tr2. Very helpful. I'm gearing up for tri1 and I really like to read everyone's stories and lessons learned. So thanks for sharing. Also, I have been wondering about how to make transitions go quickly in order to make up for my inexperience and barely-there tri readiness. But I think you have the right thought: just don't forget anything! And of course, the swim is the biggie for a newbie. I'm just going to focus on a nice even slow swim and try to calm down as much as possible. Once I'm on the bike I can ride. And for the run? I'll walk sections if I poop out by that time. I'll make sure I run over the finish line though. ;-)

My advice for the swim is if possible, go there a week before your race and just get used to the atmosphere. I did that, mostly because I had never swam in open water before, and it really helped. The other thing I did was once the horn sounded for the start, I actually waited another five seconds to let the people in front of me clear and then I started.

Eventually I will work on saving time in the transition area, but I found it helpful to take my time, get some fluid, make sure I had my gear, take a deep breath and go.

My biggest piece of advice is to focus on you and enjoy it. If someone blows by you in the swim don't worry. When someone on a broken down old bike passes you, don't worry. And when someone twice your age passes you on the run, don't worry. Take the time to enjoy the event and the surroundings!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comparing 1st Tri vs. 2nd Tri Rss Feed