General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just did my 1st tri this weekend.............. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-22 10:01 PM

Subject: Just did my 1st tri this weekend..............

Hi everyone....so the time finally came and I did my first tri this weekend. It was incredible. I was so nervous I thought I could puke....but time went fast, trying to do my set up, get my chip, numbers, and get my bearings of everything. Next thing I new it was time to line up for the swim,,, novice women were the last wave.....now swimming has been something I had to learn....my first time in the pool, I could only swim a 1/2 of lap, but now can swim the 500m easy....not fast but I found my groove and was able to swim easy.....I recently had a chance to try 2 open water swims (as advised on this website).....I went to the lake and panicked both times...it just came out of nowhere,,,as soon as my face went into the water....100% panic and water in the nose, and mouth.....I was just praying come race day, I would overcome this. Well, I didnt.....water was all in my face and after my 1st gulp,,,panic.....had to call for a kayak...but by the time they came close I had calmed some and just keep going....this happend about 4 times total...it was the longest swim of my life, my breathing was so fast and out of control.....I swam side stroke, some back...whatever, just to get by...everytime I tried freestyle.....more water intake. so I decided not to try that anymore....but I made it, I dragged my self out of the water along with a few others struggling like myself....& I was whipped...the anxiety, adrenaline and struggle just sucked it all out of me....so the 300 yd run to T1 was a walk......so I was a bit slower on the bike, and the the uphill both ways run....I walked and slowly jogged alot of it. My endurance is obviously low.  WHat was amazing was the support and the people.....you can tell it is a true love of the sport....I saw some amazing kind acts.....and some where what people did for me. My crazy a$* is now hooked!! I was pale and felt sick for about a hr after the race. I was surprised, I thought I had trained better and was in better shape! haha I finished in 1 hour and 49 min....my goal was to finish and I did and I am very proud of that & alot of $ was raised for charity.

ANy advice on the swimming? I do not live very close to a lake to have access to swim alot.

With all that said, overall it was a awesome experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008-06-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1482181

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Subject: RE: Just did my 1st tri this weekend..............
CONGRATS!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just did my 1st tri this weekend.............. Rss Feed