General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-21 4:36 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)
What swimming styles do you use for swimming? Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)? I am more comfortable and relaxed with the Breaststroke(frogstyle) espicially when swimming long distances but it is also the slowest stroke in swimming. To improve swimming times should I have to learn to do frontcrawl? Does anyone use breaststroke in a tri?

2004-02-21 8:21 AM
in reply to: #8611

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)

Do whatever works for you to finish your tri with a time that you are comfortable with. Better to breaststroke and complete a tri than to not compete. That said, freestyle is much faster, so learning that will greatly improve your time. I breast stroked most of my first tri, 1/2 ironman 1.9k. I recently did a 4k pool swim freestyle in the same amount of time. But I'm really glad I did that first tri, was a great experience.

JD

2004-02-21 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

Steven,

It is deffinitely best if you learn how to do freestyle and use it during a tri. It is a lot faster to use then breast stroke. There have been people here that have done breaststroke but are now working on their free style. If you are finding it hard to do freestyle people use the breaststroke to recover for a lap or two and then go back to free.

2004-02-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #8628

Veteran
Singapore
I have not been swimming the front crawl for a very very long time. The last time I swam freestyle was when I was in my teens learning swimming.Everytime i am in the pool or beach I always used breaststroke instinctively.
I would have to learn the proper technique for front crawl all over again.Can't seem to move fast through the water using freestyle.
Yes it's more tiring with the freestyle but I still think that I should be able to do a 1.5km in freestyle with practice.
Anyway I,ll still stick with breaststroke for the coming biathlon
2004-02-21 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
When I started in January after many years of being away from swimming, I started by doing 25 meters freestyle (fs) followed by 25 meters of the breaststroke (bs). Since then, I have gone up to approximately 50 fs for every 25 bs. In upcoming tri in May, I will probably only do the bs once in a while to get my bearings. I will be doing full 50 meter laps so that if and when I do feel a bit tired, I will simply do a sidestroke which I find very relaxing and almost as quick as the fs.
2004-02-21 10:33 AM

I agree with everything said here, and for me breaststroke is quite slow -- as my friend says, it's more like "treading water" for a rest than it is for swimming. Granted I do move forward, but not very efficiently or fast. Taht said, I know some who are very fast at breaststroke and use this for most of their swim.

I think you will do fine either way, and you may want to work on the freestyle for next season. And it sounds like you have "biathlons" where you are that use swimming and???? bike? run? We can't use the term biathlon anymore since the Olympic sport of Biathlon has emerged (skiing and shooting) so we went to duathlon.

Good luck, will be interested in hearing how you do.

2004-02-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #8638

Veteran
Singapore
The biathlon event consists of 1.5km swimming followed by 10km of running
For details follow link below(cut and paste on single line no spacing)
http://www.ssc.gov.sg/SportsWeb/calendar/cal_details.jsp?display=Y&...

or

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/whatsonsubcategory/0,4025,WhatsOnP...
2004-02-21 10:58 AM

Thanks Steven -- very interesting. And I see that  you have to qualify by time for the swim. Hoo baby! I am glad that is not the case for the triathlons I do!!

Good luck.

2004-02-21 12:52 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

heres an idea...alternate freestyle and breaststroke training at the pool...start off with a ratio...say 4 laps breaststroke to 1 lap freestyle...gradually over many months turn that ratio around to 1 lap breaststroke to 4 laps freestyle WHILE ALSO increasing your duration.  count the number of 'stokes' it takes u to do both swim styles for a l lap.  ON RACE DAY u may not be able to do a freestyle the whole time.  so count off 1 lap breaststroke to 4 laps freestyle...the breaststroke will allow some needed rest time....u wont lose much time on your swim overall doing this but it will not totally tire u out by attempting all freestyle if your not comfortable.  and if your not used to open water freestyle...its harder and will take more out of u.

it worked for me...i did exactly above for about 6months - i couldnt do even 1 lap of freestyle when i started BUT could do breastroke for hours.  i gradually turned it around while incorporating breathing on both sides once i was able to be comfortable doing 4 laps of freestyle.

hope it helps...its simple but effective....u dont even have to have a perfect stroke if u cant take lessons....i just studied the better swimmers around me while i swam and learned a lot that way.

2004-02-21 2:36 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I agree with everything that has been said here. Incorporate the two into your training. I can remember getting kicked so hard in the face during one race I had to do the breaststroke for several minutes to get my senses back.

Mike
2004-02-21 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Another thing to think about is that when in race situation, there are so many people around you that it is much easier to do a freestyle stroke. It is more compact and you will have less of a collision factor. But I agree to a bit of both and then slowly increase the amount of crawl in your workouts, then when the tri comes you do the ratio that you've ended training at.

What I often do (in races) because I have a hard time sighting is I'll switch to breaststoke every 5 min. or so (not to the minute... just a feeling) and do breaststroke while I get my bearings.

Dana

2004-02-22 8:03 AM

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or troke(frogstyle)
Another advantage to the freestyle is you don't really have to kick so much as with troke. Important factor when you have to bike and run afterwards.Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-02-22 8:03 AM
2004-02-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #8747

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: RE: Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or troke(frogstyle)
Yeah with the freestyle you are using your upperbody to propel yourself forward unlike the breaststroke which depends much on your legs.The biking and running would already require much leg power. It,ll be good to train your upper body and give yourself a more balanced workout.I might try to get a few swimming classes to learn the freestyle. Anyone know of any good and free website with slow motion video footage of someone swimming in freestyle or step by step image of this?
2004-02-22 12:37 PM

My freestyle kick is so poor! But it saves my legs for the other two sports. Sometimes when I use the pull buoy (not often as my stroke is a lot stronger than my kick), I go faster than with my kick added!!! Makes me wonder if I should kick at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2004-02-22 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Nancy, you may be faster with the pull bouy because it is raising your legs into a more streamlined position. Drag is much more important than force for distance swimming. If your body is angled down without the bouy, it'll more than offset any kick you might be doing. I was watching a world cup swim meet last night. The guy who won the 1500 meters was kicking once per stroke, just a little flick in time with his body roll. He was taking 15 or 16 stokes per length. His time was 14:44, wow!

Steven, here's a couple of links to the TI swim site, they have some good free info there:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Book excerpts with some good info:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/free-books.html

video clips of some drills:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/ti-workshop-day.html

hope this helps some.

JD

2004-02-22 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I was a strong breststroke swimmer in HS and still rely on it to "rest" during my swim workouts. I do a 50 or so with every 250-300 free. I think I will use it in my first tri to both rest a little and sight the course. Also, since it seems to totally use different leg muscles than the free I will probably finish the swim portion with it. The breststroke too me is a failry complicated stroke. I know on some days if my kick is off I am much slower that when I am on it. And upper body strength really helps with the arm pull. Work on technique and your breststroke will get much faster. However, the free is most peolple's fastest stroke and I am forcing myself over time to use it most. I still also flop over and do some backstroke to loosen my arms up and breath easier. My first 50 free across winded me bigtime. But with most exercise, the more you do, the better and easier it gets. For a faster time try to free more and use the brest to rest when needed.

2004-02-22 8:04 PM

Thanks JD -- I will watch this a bit closer, and perhaps try that one kick idea.
2004-02-22 11:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Nancy, if you find that your legs are a bit low in the water, I highly reccomend Drill #3: Lengthen Your "Vessel", from the video link above. Focus on pushing your armpit down towards the bottom of the pool. It's tough at first but when you get it down it's amazing the difference it can make.

JD

2004-02-23 5:06 AM
in reply to: #8861

Veteran
Singapore
For a tri, I feel that the most difficult part to improve is your own swimming timing. For the running and biking portion you can built up your stamina and strength to improve your timing but for swimming it's all about having the proper technique.
Looking at a elite swimmer, they take less strokes to complete each lap they seem to glide through the water like a fish and do so effortlessly with each stroke....It is simply amazing watching them, each pull can take them so far forward.
You can have one not so good swimmer taking much more strokes and a lot more effort to complete a lap while the good swimmer tends to take less strokes and less effort to complete it.
2004-02-23 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Steven,That is so true about elite swimmers and their strokes. They seem to be able to swim further without more effort. Mostly because if you look at their bodies they're parallel with the water almost on their sides. I've found I take less strokes and move further in the water when I'm almost sideways in the pool, so that my head isn't looking foreward when I breath but almost catty corner or even backwards. It increases my swim time tremendously and when I'm done swimming say 1600 m, I don't feel tired. (It could be because I'm super slow as well). I've recently started propulsion in the water and it's awesome. But getting the right technique down is the key.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle) Rss Feed