Cutting Edge Events
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 40m 21s
Overall Rank = 76/166
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0500 and ate a bowl of oatmeal and had a cup of french vanilla coffee! Already had everything packed and laid out the night before. Thus, I only needed to get dressed and roust the crew to drop me off at the race site by about 0600.
Event warmup:

Got to water front about 30 min before start and swam for about 15 minutes. Nice easy long strokes to get the blood flowing. Then gentle stretch of upper body. Waited for pre race meeting.
Swim
  • 31m 45s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Do my best to not get caught up in the starting frenzy so I don't have to concentrate so much on settling into a doable pace.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Actually, nothing to do differently. Was one of the faster T1 times.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Although the course was predominantly north/south. The 20 mph crossing wind provided some challenges. It chewed up the legs a bit more than typical. That actually showed even in the top overall athletes bike splits. Besides that, I was real happy with my ride. It did start to rain, however, in about the last couple miles and continued on into the run.

Try and keep up on the hydration a bit better and alternate powerbars w/ gels instead of eating all of one then all of the other.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s

If I were actually competing for a podium spot, I would have to delve into the world of speed laces. Otherwise, I transition pretty quickly.
Run
  • 2h 17m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the first 3 miles continuous and to fast. Settled into my usual walk 1 min/ run 4 min from there on out. Started out the run feeling a little full and bloated and was having a challenging time keeping enough fluids in at each station. About mile 8 I started to really feel whooped. Walked a little longer at each interval for a mile or two and started to recover. Somehow was able to push it on through to the end. Nutrition wasn't to great on the run either. Only able to take in a couple gels.

Improve bike hydration so I feel better starting the run and am able to take more nutrition in. Two gels just ain't gonna cut it on IM day! Neither is a half cup of fluids every mile.
Post race
Warm down:

off my feet, sports drink, food and shower. Hung around to watch all my home buddies and BT buddies finish and watched the awards since BT's own "getsome" took SECOND in his age group!!!!!!!!!! Then packed it up and headed home by way of pizza hut and dairy queen! : )

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I have done pretty good prep considering where I started last september. The only thing I can really do is sacrifice more time to train and that I'm not willing to do. Maybe more diligent weight training and being 10-15 lbs lighter would help as well. But, give what the good Lord gave me, I think I'm doing pretty good!!

Event comments:

Had an absolute blast getting to meet jcash, getsome and ckinsey! Despite the average weather conditions, we all had a good race and a great time! Look out Louisville!!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:45 | 1931 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 0/166
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Two loop clockwise. Nice large orange buoys for sighting. Real pleased with my time. Almost dead even split from lap one to lap two. Actually, I think I had a negative split by 20 or 30 seconds. Also, I started in the competitive wave, so there was far less jockeying/battling for postion.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:05 | 56 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/24
avg HR 152 w/ max 168
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back course X's 2. There were about 3 significant hill you had to ride both ways twice. O/W it was pretty rolling to fast. Fair amount of loose gravel kept me cautious. Traffic was light. Although one guy in his diesel truck proved that there are truly rednecks EVERYWHERE!!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: >85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:17:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/24
Performance: Average
Course: avg HR 150 w/ max 160
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2008-06-30 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1500462

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic

Congrats on a great race time! I'm envious of that swim time, just wow. Get the nutrition figured out for the run and you'll be fighting for a podium spot i'd be guessin'. It was nice meeting you there and hopefully we'll cross paths again.  Best of luck in Louisville!

peace, John

2008-07-01 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Very strong race, John.  I think you nailed it!  Louisville is going to be a blast with you.

Well done!

~B

2008-07-01 12:38 PM

User image

Prosper, TX
John - You're doing great man - keep it up!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed