General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to site Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-02-21 3:25 PM

New user
Subject: new to site
I just found this site and its exciting! I have been part of tris for a couple of years, as a team. Swimming is my first love, but last year I moved to both the swim and the bike of my Y's tri and my husband did the run. Last summer I completed the Danskin Tri in Sandy Hook by myself, BUT they didn't let us swim because of the 10 foot waves off shore. So I feel like I really haven't completed a real tri myself. I really want to do my first one this June, but I'm scared. Its a half mile swim, 17 mile bike, 5 mile run. The run scares me. I HATE running. I make myself do it, but I HATE it. My husband runs the NYC Marathon each year and can't understand this mindset. I swim three times a week, bike about twice, and MAKE myself run
12-15 miles each week. But most of those runs are short, two miles each (with the dog). For Christmas this year "Santa" gave me a brand new Trek bike. So.....no excuses....I have to do this! I will be checking this site often. Just from reading the posts, you all sound supportive and friendly! Barbara

2004-02-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: #8656

Subject: RE: new to site

Welcome Barbara -- I know you will truly like it here, and find lots of support and friendly people. I am sure you can do the tri on your own -- you seem to have or are having your training planned. I too HATE running, and 3.1 milies is about as about as far as I will EVER run -- and not a step further. And that's only because I have to to finish a Sprint Tri.

Good luck -- keep us posted.

Nancy

2004-02-21 5:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Welcome Barbara, and good luck on your goals. I used to hate running too. Recently slowed my regular training pace way down, keeping my heart rate low, and I've found running much more enjoyable since. Anyway, have fun, you'll do great.

JD

2004-02-21 6:06 PM

, Alabama

Welcome to the site.  As far as running goes, hating running isn't the worst thing in the world.  If you need to, you can always walk some of the run portion.  My only thought about trying to get yourself to like running is to set some goals for yourself such as run 30 minutes straight, setting new goals as you reach the previous ones and treat yourself to something nice for each milestone you set for yourself (i.e. manicure, new bike toys, etc.).  Incentives are wonderful things.  If your race isn't until June, you have plenty of time. Good luck!

Sharon

2004-02-21 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Even now, sometimes I hate running, especially on the boring treadmill. But taking them easy and going out on nice slow runs and appreciating the weather and scenery helps a little. Then when you try to crank it up once and a while and see some progress it makes each next one a little more enjoyable, because of the accomplishment and all. I am dreading my planned marathon this season but, if you don't set goals you never get anywhere. I have yet to run over 10k. I am dreading it. I will force myself to the next level, becuase it's part of the plan and I NEED to get there. IF not now then soon, but I know I am making progress and that makes all the difference. Keep it up, it will get easier and you will get there! Welcome to the site, people here are great! Have fun on the new bike and June is plenty of time, get a plan and get too it. Good luck!
2004-02-21 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Welcome! I too was a hater of running! but it does grow on you! Just take your time and dont be afraid of walking and have a posative attitude about it! It will get much better for you, you will see. If I can learn to like it anyone can!!! Jack

2004-02-21 7:14 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Nice to have you Barb!
2004-02-21 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome Barb. I am afraid that I have to be the oddball because I actually like to run. I understand why your husband loves it; it's because of the adreneline rush! I must admit though that my first love is cycling; as soon as the ice and slush are no longer convering the streets, I trade in my bus pass in for my bike. Swimming is okay, although I can't say that I like it that much; I swim to stay in shape and to be able participate in a tri this coming May. I did join a swim team back in the eighties but I was never that serious about it.
2004-02-21 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Barbara,

Welcome and I'm with you. When I started training running was my LEAST favorite sport. But, as dharmabum said, I slowed my pace waaaay down, focused on keeping my heart rate manageable so I wasn't always gasping for air and damn if it's not one of the funner parts of training for me now!

Good luck with your goals!!!

n
2004-02-21 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome.
What helps me enjoy running more, is running in places I enjoy. I love trail running, just taking in the trees and rivers and other nice sites. I also like to explore, run places I have never run before. You see so much more when running then driving, or even biking. Sounds like you won't have any problems with the Triathlon. good luck and have fun.
2004-02-22 2:34 AM

I'll join in on the "love to run" side. What's not to love? You're out on a peaceful trail with the sun and fresh air and time to contemplate on your thoughts. Swimming, on the other hand.....water up your nose, blowing snot everywhere, water down your throat, coughing, looking at that damn black line the whole time, shivering coming out of the water, dried out skin, chlorine smell...Yuck. I'm forcing myself to do it in order to do my second tri this summer. Any other Run-o-philes out there?

2004-02-22 2:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Welcome Barb!

2004-02-22 3:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-02-22 6:39 AM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hiya Barbara! Nice to have you onboard We had a tri like that last year where the swim was cancelled because of frigiid water temps. Racers were not happy, but the RD was concerend about the lifeguards who would be in the water for a very long time.

So, is Sandy Hook the group in New Jersey? My brother lives in NJ and I'd like to find a race there that we could do together......someday.

Anyhow, keep coming back here, you'll find the motivation to get you thru those runs.
2004-02-22 2:04 PM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the site!
2004-02-22 11:25 PM

Champion
Gold member

ohhhh...pretty new bike.  running will come around too. 

welcome.

2004-02-22 11:38 PM

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Running is something that I have done since my freshman year of high school. I was part of both the cross country and track teams. I still enjoy running. I was going to suggest what Robbertcj suggested. We come from the same city so there are plenty of sweet places to run. I find that setting short term goals for yourself and working from there works well too. When I was burned out on running, I took a bunch of time off and needed to slowly move back into it. So I found my favorite spot to run and did a short distance stopping every so many minutes to catch my breath. I'm not sure where you are as far as your base goes, but if you can get a mile to two miles in 4-5 days a week and move from there. It should be good. Also, try to find someone to run with. Maybe you can interest a neighbor to run with you. Having a partner that goes at the same speed is fun because there is someone to talk to which makes the run go by so much faster. Hope these suggestions help out. Good luck with all your training.

Cory
2004-02-23 5:10 AM
in reply to: #8745

New user
The tri at Sandy Hook was the Danskin Tri, women only, so I don't think you could do that one with your brother! BUT I think Sandy Hook does have its own, check out NJ Tri site, I'm thinking it was late June. Water at that time will be brisk, but bike was flat. Barbara
2004-02-23 6:43 AM
in reply to: #8876

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
LOL guess not! I'll have to look at the NJ site again, but first I have to bug my brother some more.
2004-02-23 12:02 PM

Expert
Torrington,CT
Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the site. I too am a newbie. I'm registered for my first sprint tri in Middlebury, CT this summer. Running is my passion, then swimming and finally the bike (only because I haven't biked a lot. If you have a running club, or tri club in you area you may find others looking for a running partner. My running partner/girlfriend and I have been running together for 7 years. We keep each other going when it gets tough-- both in competition and in life.
Good Luck
Evelyn
2004-02-23 5:27 PM

New user
Thanks for all of your suggestions! What an inspiring site! I tried slowing down a bit this morning and took my time with my 3 mile run, but I did try to come back faster than I went out. It worked. I had biked yesterday and tried to run after biking 12 miles, thought I would die! My legs felt like I was in a dream trying to run....it was aweful! I have to practice more of those bricks I guess. Barbara

2004-02-23 5:32 PM

Veteran
Illinois
Welcome Barbara!

I was the very opposite.... loved the running, hated the swimming. It's good that you have a buddy to go on your runs with you- have you tried music? During a race, I find it very helpful to find a "buddy" [even if you don't know them] of about your same pace. Not only will you get to know someone different, but also you'll keep your mind focused on something other than running.

For me, the swimming slowly grew on me over time.... more like a challenge on the right form, taking classes, being part of a team, and lots of practice changed my hate of swimming into a love.

Good luck with the race and welcome once again.

Milly
2004-02-28 10:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Welcome - Way back when I was running regularly (b/4 30 years of couch potatoing) I got the "runner high" a couple of times - I can remember thinking, "I'm running my tail off for 30 miles a week for three minutes of "high" - there must be a better way

Ditto witht eh slowing the run stuff down - walk run intervals might be a way to do it. Anyway - you've stared running in the face and declared your hate for it - maybe you say you are open to droping this a nothc to extreme dislike - out there somewhere maybe you even get open to a hate / like relationship with running. Or maybe it's, "Hey - I'm jsut showing up 'cause I have to - but I'm showing up - you got something to offer - show me and maybe I change my mind a bit. And BTW - don't mix me up with the marathoner guy I live with
2004-02-29 11:12 AM

Thanks Malvey -- "they" do say that facing your fear (and perhaps that which you hate) is the first step to overcoming it. So maybe those of us here who have admitted opur hate for running are on our way to lov... I mean lik.... I mean tolerating it better!

Slowing it all down does seem to help ............................... a little.

Nancy

2004-02-29 11:19 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Welcome Barbara!
Hi Barbara,

Welcome! I am very new here too having just joined last week. It's a great place to be!

I too hate running and much prefer swimming, so I can understand your mindset. My bad knees don't help, but even before the tendinitis I didn't like running one bit! I'll have to try taking my dog along with me, but she is small and kind of lazy so I'm not sure she'll be much help! lol

Good to have you!

Kelly
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to site Rss Feed  

of 2