General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-02 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake
Oops, sorry I just noticed this is already discussed in another thread with the title "Unbelievable how pointless".

Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake.

NBC-17 and WRAL have both aired stories about this.

Please pass this along to your customers, friends, club members, etc. We are trying to find this car to take legal action.

Okay, one more reason to be careful riding…Two cyclists were riding around 4pm on Saturday afternoon (one cyclist is training for the Beach to Battleship & they were riding a 45 mi/loop out Apex/Lake Jordan way) and a car deliberately hit one cyclist, then tried to hit the other, missed, and then bolted. The rider is fine physically, but these people did this on purpose, which is beyond comprehension, and they're still out there somewhere… the riders were between the SkyWay gas station on Old Route 1 traveling southbound and the back entrance to Pea Ridge Rd. when this happened. Ambulance, State Police and Chatham Co. Sheriff were all there after and they've been given as much description as possible, but they don't think that they have enough to go off of – it was a charcoal grey Chrysler 300 M w/ the first license plate letters "XYT" and it has a newer NC plate w/ red lettering.

Here is a photo of that type of car:
chrysler-300m.JPG

This was no accident at all – they deliberately hit the cyclist and then tried for the other– the rider saw the car come up quickly in his peripheral vision and then saw the front passenger open their door to try to hit him with it, they missed and the rider heard a girl shouting from in the car, "Just go, go go!" The driver floored it and wildly went around a Ford Explorer that was in front of it – that driver witnessed the whole thing and got the partial of the plate, came back to the scene, etc. – the cyclist was able to lean right & get out of the way, and as soon as he could wrap his head around what was going on & that it was deliberate, he looked back to see his fellow rider down & in the road. He went back to get to her & get her out of the road, take care of her, etc. – she's beat up & has road rash, but otherwise is okay. Her helmet is cracked in two places and the front-end of her new tri bike was messed up, and we're all pretty angry, I think – especially her!
Anyway, we're going to see this car out there again, at some point, since they're still out there – charcoal gray Chrysler 300 w/ "XYT" as the first three letters… unbelievable!

If you have any information that can help authorities find the people who hit McKeithan, call the Raleigh Police Department’s Detective Division at 919-890-3555 or Crime Stoppers at 919-226-CRIME.

Where is the CSI team?!!?? Why can't they track down a local car with that information. They can always find the car on CSI!

Edited by keyone 2008-07-02 12:07 PM

2008-07-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1504237

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake

Unreal... what sick MF would do such a thing!

Not that long ago a guy rider was shot at here in Chicago with a bb gun. The 2 pellets that hit him in the chest are still lodged in his body, apparently there's more possible damage to remove them. He took the car numbers down and reported the incident to the police after which they asked if he could positively indentify the shooter and the driver (!) Of course not. So the car identification was of no use, the cops didn't even check it on their computer! Life...

2008-07-03 2:56 PM

User image

New user
FYI.

That photo is not what a Chrysler 300 looks like.

It seems to me that if they have the make and model, the color, the state, and the 1st 3 letters, that the state police should be able to find this vehicle.
2008-07-03 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh Area, (Clayton) NC
The other post listed the reported vehicle as a Chrysler 300M, which is consistent with that photo.
Hopefully the eyewitness can tell the difference between that one, and the newer 300C model.

I do hope they catch the culprit.
2008-08-05 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

Has there been any progress made on this case? I haven't heard anything about it since the incident intially aired on the local news.  I mean... GOD how many grey Chrysler 300's could there be with that particular lics. plate prefix + a new plate in the area? good grief!!! What ididot is working this case? Also of note, it was pretty shocking to read the comments related to this story on wral.com's site when all of this went down.... I knew that some of the population feels the road is theirs and theirs alone, but the outright hatred and ignorance that the wral.com site visitors wrote in their story comments... about how cyclists had no rights and how they thought we were all rude roadhogs... etc wow.. shocking... you'd think that cyclists were card carrying nazi's or something insane.

And on lighter, yet silly - personal note.. i'm still completely envious of the IronMan room and the sweet Cervelo collection that the unfortunate victim had in her home.... this was shown on the news when this story originally aired on WRAL or  ?NBC17...... This idea is on my 'to do' wishlist when I get my next house.) Girlfriend is damn serious about her Ironman.

2008-08-06 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1584138

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
In the other thread (entitled Unbelievable, How Pointless) about this story, this update was posted...

tahrens - 2008-07-21 11:57 AM

UPDATE (a small one but still............) my friend was the guy riding partner during the accident/hit&run. He said the cop working on the case sent him an email with a somewhat confusing update. Basically, it made two points. First, they ran a computer search and have a list of about 100 cars. Second, there was a high speed chase a while ago with a car matching the description with the first letter of the plate being X, yet the car was abandoned and the driver ran away. Now to me, that would mean they have the car impounded and could run the plates easily. So who knows. I said it was a confusion email, but at least they claim to have some leads and are still working on it.

2008-08-10 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1584477

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
keyone - 2008-08-06 7:42 AM In the other thread (entitled Unbelievable, How Pointless) about this story, this update was posted...
tahrens - 2008-07-21 11:57 AM UPDATE (a small one but still............) my friend was the guy riding partner during the accident/hit&run. He said the cop working on the case sent him an email with a somewhat confusing update. Basically, it made two points. First, they ran a computer search and have a list of about 100 cars. Second, there was a high speed chase a while ago with a car matching the description with the first letter of the plate being X, yet the car was abandoned and the driver ran away. Now to me, that would mean they have the car impounded and could run the plates easily. So who knows. I said it was a confusion email, but at least they claim to have some leads and are still working on it.
oi... hello barney fife...  sounds like they are taking their sweet time on it... If it's all tied into some bigger thing, I hope they close it up soon and arrest the jerk/jerks.
2008-08-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1593077

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Any updates ?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake Rss Feed