General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my 1st Triathalon - Need some Advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-08 2:31 PM

Dallas, TX
Subject: Training for my 1st Triathalon - Need some Advice!!

Hello everyone, this site is great. I have just begun training for my first triathalon and have learned a ton from this site.

I started training two months ago for a tri that is on July 26th and wanted to get some advice on the training schedule. I started training because I've done nothing the last 4 years and just put on too much weight. I've always played sports growing up but i'm totally new to the tri stuff. I have a bike so i'm ready to go.

For the last month and a half I've been working out six days a week. The first month my workout looked like this:

Monday & Thursday: Swim 350 yards & Run 30 minutes

Tuesday & Friday: Swim 350 yards & Bike 13 miles

Wednesdays: (Our long day) Swim 400 yards and Run 40 minutes (The 40 minute run really stretched me out)

Saturday: Bike 5 miles

Sunday: Rest

For the last two weeks I have followed the same schedule, but i have increased everything. My normal swim is 500 yards, normal run is 40 minutes, and my bike is 15 miles. My long day is 600 yard swim and 45-48 minute run. Last week I did a 26 mile bike, it took alot out of me, but i made it.

Here's my question, with a few weeks to go, what do i need to do to get ready but not tear up my body, as i did with the 26 mile ride. I'm a big guy (6', 270lb) , but i work hard and sometimes i feel like i overdue it. Which is fine, but i just want to finish the race. I have not tried the bike, plus the run yet, but I'm thinking i need to do that before the race. If so, what type of distances on both should i try.

The race will be a 350 swim, 13 mile bike and 3.1 run. Do you train right through the day of the race or do you allow a little off time? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2008-07-08 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1515113

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Training for my 1st Triathalon - Need some Advice!!
ttt
2008-07-08 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
For a sprint I'll train until 2 days prior to the rast, take a day off, then do a short OWS the day before the race.  It seems to work best for me to take 2 days to prep. Your plans look pretty solid, if anything continue to increase you distances as you continue to improve.  Looks like you're doing a great job!
2008-07-08 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1516297

Dallas, TX

Hey Pegasus, thanks for the help.

2008-07-09 12:02 AM
in reply to: #1516399

User image

Veteran
What I do, is I do normal training until 2 weeks before the race, in the first week I do hard training on everything, like if I have a 5k run, I run 6-8k. And then the week before the race, I go easy on everything, except the swim because that's my weak point. I usually give myself the day off before race day, but stay active for the day (don't just lay on the couch all day, I go outside and walk around etc.).
After your first Tri, you will probably figure it all out. You'll be ready if you keep up your training. Good luck, and tell us how it goes!!
2008-07-09 12:06 AM

User image

Regular
Dubuque Iowa/Richmond Kentucky
seems pretty solid man. Are you eating right? There's also alot of good sprint distance triathlon plans under the programs button on top of the site, so you can compare your workouts to those or incorporate one of those workouts. Keep given'er hell man.

2008-07-09 12:22 AM

Anchorage
Sure sounds like you are on the right track to have a great first race. Maybe try a brick workout or two so you experience that feeling of jumping off the bike and starting the run. Don't train too hard in the few days right before the race so you have fresh legs, and have a blast!
2008-07-09 11:19 AM

Dallas, TX

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and encouragement - ya'll are awesome.

thanks,

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my 1st Triathalon - Need some Advice!! Rss Feed