General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for OWS partner/group - Detroit Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Looking for OWS partner/group - Detroit Area
I am new to Tri's and have completed my first 2 (Big Fish 6-22 and Anchor Bay 7-12). Like many beginners, the swim is my nemisis! I can swim 1 mile in a pool without much problem (slow - about 35 min), but doing 1/2 mile OWS is a KILLER for me! I need to get in more practice, but don't really want to do OWS by myself. I am willing to travel in Detroit Area (Macomb/Oakland County preferred), but would like to find a partner/group to do some swims. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, can anyone recommend any training video's for OWS? I see some ads, but hate to spend $35 if they aren't any good! Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Dan

2008-07-14 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1529180

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: Looking for OWS partner/group - Detroit Area
Welcome-there is a group of us that swim at Island Lake Recreational area every Thursday.  Its a long drive for me but worth the experience.  Brown Trout Lake is great to swim, clean  and clear.  Its helped me, although the swim is still my nemesis.  Some of us go biking after, so you maybe able to get a good workout and make the drive worth the cost of your gas. 
2008-07-14 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1529341

User image

Veteran
JoGo,

It is a bit far, but I would love to try it a few times. Have a couple of questions:

1. Is it ok for a novice like me to join?
2. What time to you usually meet over there?

I looked it up on a map and it is about 50 - 55 minute drive for me. I am serious about improving and would be willing to make the trip for some encouragement/help!

How do I find everyone and make sure you are going to be there?

Thanks,

Dan
2008-07-14 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Dan, there is usually a group out there around 6-6:30pm.  Where are you in Michigan?  It takes me over an hour to get out there because of rush hour and then about 40-45 minutes to get home after.  I am new to tri's and did Hawk-I and Big Fish.  I am doing Carl's this weekend.  Pretty much any of the BT rides/swims are open to all.  There is always someone there that is just as new.  This Michigan group is the most supportive group of triathletes.  I feel very blessed to train with them.  Many of them are phenomenal and a wealth of knowledge (Trixie, Matt, Robyn, Rick, et al). I'm glad I took that step and started joining in some of the weekend stuff and the Thursday nights.  Its great to have that extra cheering section at the tri's too (that's just frosting on the cake).
2008-07-14 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Hey Dan,

Although I haven't joined that particular group that Jogo mentioned, I have swam out there at Spring Mill Pond.  Its pretty nice water.

I swim further north.  Mainly at Holly Rec Area or Seven Lakes.  If you are ever up this way, let me know.

If you are swimming well in the pool, but struggling in the open water, is it just a comfort thing?  I really struggled in the open water last year, but I'm coming around this year.  For me, it was losing sight of the bottom.  When that happened, I struggled.  Its been just time and experience that has gotten me over that reaction.  Let us know what the deal is, and maybe we can help.

Go Spartans!

2008-07-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1529840

User image

Veteran
Matt & JoGo,

Thanks for the help!

JoGo, I will do my best to get out to Island Lake next week (I can't make it this week :^( .... I will communicate with you (if you don't mind) before next week to confirm. BTW, I live in Harrison Township - so close to Lake St. Clair, but I am not comfortable doing OWS by myself yet! I am fairly close to I-94 so it is all expresway for me to get to Brighton. Yes, rush hour and construction will certainly slow me dow! I work at 15 Mile and Mound and will leave directly from work.

Matt, I agree with your assesment of OWS. I know it is a comfort level, that is why I need to get more OWS practice in, but - as I stated - I am not comfortable doing OWS by myself yet! That is why I made this post. If I get up by the Holly area (beautiful area by the way!), I will certainly send you a email!.

Go Spartans!

Dan

2008-07-15 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Troy, MI
Dan

I also just did Anchor Bay and that OWS would scare most people. I consider myself pretty comfortable in the water and I was nervous a few times with those waves hitting my face while trying to breathe. The swim for Bigfish was MUCH easier. If OWS is a killer for you then you should be very proud for completing the swim at Anchor Bay. And Bigfish is no easy race for a first so congratulations on both races.

I live on a small lake in Troy and do my OWS there. I plan to make it over to the group swim at ILRA one of these days but it just hasn't fit into my schedule yet. My lake is pretty small, calm, and there is no motorized traffic. It is a perfect lake for getting more comfortable with OWS. The only down side is it won't prepare you for those big waves like at Anchor Bay. Send me a message if you want to plan an OWS in Troy and we can work something out.
2008-07-15 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Here is a little mental exercise that helped me. I've used visualization with some pretty incredible results in other sports.  It was a key ingredient to becoming a scratch golfer several years ago.

I call this my swim ladder, but its not a workout ladder:

When I am swimming, I tend to visually focus on whats below me. Who wouldn't? Having something to look at occupies my mind. When I loose sight of the bottom of the lake, I get pretty uncomfortable, as in, I panic. I start to gasp for breath, I over roll to try to take in more air, it throws off my rhythm, which makes me work harder to keep afloat and moving forward.

So, I started to think about this giant ladder stretching from my position in the water to my sighting object. It could be a bouy, a landmark, whatever. This imaginary ladder has rungs that are spaced out like a good stroke. It requires a nice little glide to get to the next rung on the ladder, each stroke allowing me to "climb" the ladder.

I also visualize the astronauts in zero-G. They have that same gliding movement when they push off an object and come to the next one.

I keep that visualization of the ladder stretched out, rungs spaced apart, and I can "see" my body taking a stroke and then gliding to the next rung, grab that next rung and pull again. Before I know it, my breathing has returned to a great bi-lateral rhythm, I'm swimming a perfectly straight line, and I'm cruising through the water with little effort.

Give it a try. I hope it helps.

2008-07-16 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
MrM:

I may just take you up on that someday! I need to get comfortable doing OWS in any environment so nice and smooth would be a good way to start. I will send you a private message when my schedule opens up - maybe next week! I work at 15 mile and Mound, so Troy if fairly close. Maybe and after work swim around 6:00 or 6:30ish?

Matt:

This sounds like GREAT advice! I will certainly try this the next time I get an OWS!

Thanks for all the help!
2008-07-16 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Troy, MI
I don't work during July and August (the life of a teacher) so my schedule is pretty open. I live between 18 and 19 mile and Rochester Road and John R. Just let me know when...
2008-07-19 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Matt...I am o.k. in the water, but swim off course and don't breathe bilaterally well yet. I will be swimming the ladder at Carls tomorrow! This could help me I am sure! Thanks for the tip!

Mr. M and MSU Dan, Let me know of OWS happenings in troy...I would love to join in. I can't always make it to IRLA with JOGO ( my buddy and neighbor) so a close to home swim would be great! My brother lives on Emerald lake, but I seem to eat a lot of bbq and drink red wine when I am there...not much happens swim wise after that!

Trish

2008-07-22 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Trish,

I am making the drive to Island Lake this Thurday, but don't think I will be doing it every week. I would like to schedul an OWS with MrM and will let you know if I do! If I don't go to Island Lake next week, maybe we could do it Thursday evening at MrM's!

Dan
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for OWS partner/group - Detroit Area Rss Feed