General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Effect of blood donation and training.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-27 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Effect of blood donation and training....
Hi all,
Was wondering does anyone have any insight on the what, if any, effects that donating blood may have on training, especially as training intensifies as one approaches their race date?

Thanx
Dave

2005-01-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: #108880

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: Effect of blood donation and training....

From "blood centers of the Pacific" I've confirmed that blood donation typically removes one pint of the red stuff (10% of total blood volume).

I would think that this would result in a temporary decrease in athletic performance, due to the reduction in number of circulating erythrocytes (red cells) and thus a slight decrease in the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood.

The volume would be replaced quickly by fluid shifts, but replacing the RBCs would take some time, a week or so, I'd think.

I'll see if I can find any better experimental data later today.

2005-01-27 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Donating blood has a noticable effect on how hard you can train. It takes a few weeks to replace the red blood cells you lose in donating blood--even after you replace the fluid lost, which you can do in a few days if you're diligent about drinking. I would not give blood closer than two months before a race in which your performance is very important to you. But do give blood!

Another option is apheresis donation, which is typically used to provide platelets for clotting or plasma. The process is a lot longer than regular blood donation (~2 hours), but you can donate up to 24 times a year, which means that each donation "hurts" your body less.

Of course, the performance loss won't really be noticable to someone who is a mid- to back-of-packer after a couple weeks, so it all depends on how competative you are.
2005-01-27 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Dave:

Last time I gave, I noticed the training effects for about 2 weeks (slower pace, elevated HR, etc.) But after that it seemed to come around pretty quickly.  That being said, I don't think I would donate anytime within a couple of months of a major race, just to be on the safe side.

Chris

2005-01-27 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Thanx for the affirmation of my thoughts. I figure this will be the last donation for me, until after my June race. I figure why risk putting extra stress on my body as my training increases and intensifies.

Thanx for the input.

Adios
Dave
2005-01-27 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Since my wife's diagnosis, I learned way too much about blood.

First and foremost, there is a very good reason you can't give blood more frequently than every 56 days.

However, everyone's bone marrow produces red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets at different rates and to make things more complex, everyone's "normal" level of red, white, and platelets is different.

I am a regular blood donator and have been for many many years.  I've personally found that within the next 24 hours after giving blood, my energy level is sub-par.  However, after 24 hours of giving blood, I can work out as normal.

Again, the affects of blood donation on energy levels is a very individual thing and only through experience can you really tell how it will affect you.

Keep in mind, however, that you will be potentially saving the lives of 3 people each time you donate blood!  So try not to let something as miniscule as training, affect your decision as to whether or not you help people hold on to their lives!

Additionally, giving blood is healthy for your body.  Think of it as "changing your oil"  (ok, not exactly like that) but, for example, if your body is used to upping the volume of your blood by 1 pint every 56 days, if you ever get ill or in a bad accident and loose blood, you've conditioned your bone marrow to get a "move on it"

IMHO

Edited by Steve- 2005-01-27 10:25 AM

2005-01-27 12:22 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
We need to give blood! Think of how healthy you, as an athletic person, are compared to some average joe and think of what kind pf blood you would want a loved one to get if they needed it.

I can't for another couple of years due to malaria... I finally talked to the blood bank so they would not keep calling me for dontations - they must need them to call me almost weekly!

I would think that for a couple of days after I would have to cut back on training intensity, so perhaps scheduling it on a rest or cut-back week would be wise. I can't think that my performance (as a purely recreational racer) would suffer if I scheduled it a month out.

2005-01-27 12:29 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I share Steve's perspective and experience on this one.

I give blood every 8-9 weeks. I'm sure that I don't train as hard as many of you. But for me, there's really just a day -maybe two- of reduced energy. It's totally no big deal, for me. And when you think of the good you do by donating, it's an easy sell.

Last time, the blood drive was in the same building as the pool. So afterwards, I drank some extra juice and went right in and swam. I wasn't fast -but then I'm never fast, so I don't know if I would notice the difference And besides, I got the "athlete" question. My pulse was so low that that I was almost disqualified from donating, but if a person is an athlete they'll let you go lower. THAT was a total rush for me

Andrea

2005-01-27 12:31 PM

I agree with the above. Awhile back when I donated blood and was working out virtually every day I noticed affects for about two weeks. I was doing more lifting and less cardio at the time though and was not monitoring BPM or anything. Most of the limiting effects for me came in the arm exercising areas though, especially bicep because if I pushed to hard it would cause the vein to break back open and bleed internally slightly.
2005-01-27 12:42 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Oh, that'a a good point. I DO often bruise at the puncture site -and it's probably because I re-break the vein when I work out. I frequently have bruises -and I'd like to tell you they're from training. But really, they're more often from running into furniture that's been sitting in exactly that spot for 15 years. I mean... How was I supposed to know it was there??!!! So, yeah... workout too hard right away and you'll get a bruise, possibly. FOr me, that's business as usual, but for someone else, it might well be a big deal.

Andrea
2005-01-27 12:48 PM
in reply to: #109099

User image

Elite
Reno
Andrea - 2005-01-27 12:42 PM

Oh, that'a a good point. I DO often bruise at the puncture site -and it's probably because I re-break the vein when I work out. I frequently have bruises -and I'd like to tell you they're from training. But really, they're more often from running into furniture that's been sitting in exactly that spot for 15 years. I mean... How was I supposed to know it was there??!!! So, yeah... workout too hard right away and you'll get a bruise, possibly. FOr me, that's business as usual, but for someone else, it might well be a big deal.

Andrea

I swear my coffee table jumps into my way! And once the treadmill attacked me after a workout and I was reaching for my bag beside it.

2005-01-27 12:51 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Since I help with the blood drive at work....
Straight from the Blood Center fact sheet:
Q: How long will it take to replenish the pint?
A: Your body replaces blood volume or plasma within 24 hours. Red cells need about four to eight weeks for complete replacement.

Q: How soon after donating can I practice sports?
A: After you give blood, you will relax and have a snack. You can then resume full activity as long as you feel well. Just avoid heavy lifting, pushing or picking up heavy objects for at least four or five hours after giving blood.

It takes eight weeks to restore the iron lost after donating.

I've given numerous times and I usually will schedule my training around the donation. I workout in the morning, give blood some time before lunch, then have the following day as a rest day.
2005-01-27 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV
When I was in my teens and twenties, I bounced back from blood donations much faster than I do now. I would not exercise the same day after giving blood these days. Not only are your energy levels lower, but you have the potential to faint. If this was to happen in the pool - well that would suck! I know of a girl who fainted several hours after giving blood - she was driving home from work. She killed the driver of the oncoming car. I have fainted during the night after giving blood (and I am typically not a fainter ). Please be cautious and careful. I would definitely wait at least a full 24 hours before doing serious exercise. It now takes me about 2 weeks before I feel "back to normal" when exercising after giving blood.
2005-01-27 1:48 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I donate regularly and drive home afterwards. I do make a point of eating and drinking well during the day of my donations, and getting good rest that night. Sometimes I notice less energy during the next day or two but not always. I haven't noticed a change as I've aged, yet, but that sounds like something to watch for.
2005-01-27 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV
I always drive home too. The example of that girl fainting while driving is no doubt a rare situation. I guess I was just trying to make the point that bad things can happen and there does not seem to be any point in taking chances. It may not be an age thing either. When I was younger, I didn't exercise as much so I didn't notice such a profound effect on my energy levels. All I can tell say with certainty is that when I was younger, I would forget that I had given blood during the day and just go about my usual activities. I can no longer do that. If I give blood, I feel drained of energy, no matter how well I rehydrate and exercise will make me sick. I, unfortunately, learned the hard way.
2005-01-27 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
I just have to say that I think it is awesome how many people on the site donate regularly. I'm currently frustrated because I've had trouble donating the last two times: the first time, my iron was too low; the second time, my iron was just high enough, but they poked and poked and couldn't get a good vein despite the fact that I drank enough during the day to be floating around instead of walking. If it doesn't work next time, I may be forced to give up for a while ...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Effect of blood donation and training.... Rss Feed